The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscure Movies  (Read 8020 times)
John Holotko

« on: September 09, 2005, 03:36:25 PM »

Here's a non-political  topic. Does anyone have any favorite obscure  movies ?? I am talking about movies that were not box office hits, perhaps starred less than popular ators and actresses who never made it to the big screen yet were quite excellent in talent, film quality, etc. Foreign films  are valid. 

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

"The Asphyx" The original 1970's version,

"a 19th-century British philanthropist and amateur psychic researcher embarks on a fateful quest for immortality. Sir Hugo Cunningham (nicely played by Robert Stephens) has a morbid hobby of taking photographs of dying people, and this leads to his discovery of a nebulous spirit of the dead--known in mythology as the Asphyx--that appears (only visible on photographic plates) at the moment of death. Sir Hugo becomes obsessed with capturing his own Asphyx and thus ensuring that he cannot die, but of course this is an ill-fated ambition that puts Sir Hugo on a ruinous path to destruction and death."

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 07:44:29 PM »

Mystic Pizza was not a huge hit, but popular around here because it was filmed on location in and around Stonington.  Lots of nice local scenery, and lots of local characters that got to be in the film as extras.  Fun to watch to see if you can pick out your friends in the backgrounds of the scenes.  Was a launching pad for Julia Roberts.  Don't know if any of the other cast members went on to anything bigger or better afterward.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Joe Long
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 08:20:51 PM »

Try and find "The Brother From Another Planet"
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:47:33 PM »

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

* klowns.jpg (54.09 KB, 413x197 - viewed 457 times.)
ka0pad
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:11:10 PM »

'Lobster Man from Mars'

Wish I could find a copy for the collection.
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 02:53:04 PM »

'Lobster Man from Mars'

Wish I could find a copy for the collection.

Here you go -->> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C3I9M/qid=1126378313/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6644716-2761768?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Editorial Reviews
Description
It boggles the mind…giant seafood from outer space trying to steal the earth's air. This absurd sci-fi farce is the stuff of which cult classics are made. Movie mogul J.P. Shelldrake (Tony Curtis) discovers he's in desperate need of a tax loss to keep the I.R.S. off his back. He has to find a "loser" motion picture for his company to release. In walks boy producer, writer, director Stevie Horowitz with his homemade epic LOBSTER MAN FROM MARS. Producer Stevie has liberally "borrowed" almost every comedy bit ever written for his zany, Martian-invades-earth parody. After a screening, Shelldrake believes it's the perfect film for his needs. Snicker and chuckle your way through this uproarious comedy to find out who actually gets the last laugh.

Trivia about Lobster Man from Mars:

* Welles, Orson came up with the title for this movie. He had originally agreed to play the part of the producer, but died before production began.
    * On the last day of shooting, director Sheff, Stanley and producer Greene, Steven S. bought the entire cast and crew an expensive lobster dinner.
    * In his autobiography, Curtis, Tony says that he worked on the movie because they paid him $100,000, and he needed to make child support payments. He also mentions that during the production, he never saw the scenes of the movie that his character was reacting to.
    * Although shot using 35mm film, this was the first feature length movie to have its picture and sound post production completed entirely by means of video technology. No traditional film post production methods were used. Only the final release print used 35mm film.
ka0pad
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 05:03:01 PM »

Unreal, thanks John, been a couple years since I last looked for it. This one is right up there with 'search for the holy grail', a classic.

Larry
VE3BEE
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 09:26:46 PM »

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Evil Spawn
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes..
Earth Girls are Easy
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »

What about The Groove Tube, The Kentucky Fried Movie, (loved the 'Catholic Highschool Girls in Trouble, starring Donald Sutherland as the Clumsy Waiter). Also on the Sci-Fi side 'This Island Earth' although I prefer it when its being critiqued by the guys at Mystery Science Theater. How about The Great Santini and the Frisco Kid. They were all pretty good, (well, somewhat entertaining.)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KE1GF
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 10:48:43 PM »

Buckaroo Bonsai across the 8th dimention... A true clut classic Grin

Another good one is "My Science Project" with dennis hopper Cheesy
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 12:44:13 AM »

Obscure to most.  Unforgettable to the rest of us.

"A dream about dark and troubling things"

* ERH.jpg (65.97 KB, 384x588 - viewed 427 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 01:06:16 AM »

Does anyone have any favorite obscure  movies ?? I am talking about movies that were not box office hits, perhaps starred less than popular actors  

"Liberty Corner"   Bingo on both counts.

* bad-actor.JPG (4.04 KB, 144x96 - viewed 338 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 05:08:22 AM »

Student Bodies

* studentbodies.jpg (34.08 KB, 303x472 - viewed 403 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015