The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McAfee antivirus problem  (Read 5157 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 30, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »

Has anyone who is using McAfee virusscan been having a problem with the M icon in the systray turning black, indicating that virusscan is disabled, when in fact it is still enabled?

This seems to be a problem with a  lot of users who have upgraded to version 10.

Apparently no-one at McAfee has a clue.

Here is a temporary fix that has worked for me, but it's still a PITA to have to worry with this.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=53587

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:04:32 PM »

Don, mine usually turns black when it is finished updating and needs a restart to initiate the new parameters. I'm so used to it, it doesn't bother me.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Roy K8VWX
Contributing

Pr. 4 -1000s Mod Pr. 5868

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 05:36:56 PM »

AVG  beats them all – Either the free version
or the paid one. Check it out at WWW.grisoft.com.
73 Don will look for you on 160 soon.  Roy
 Smiley
K2FW

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »

Completely agree!  AVG is free on the internet & uses way less of the computer memory!  Can the pay anti-virus & go with AVG!!!

Steve K2FW
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 12:36:47 AM »

Interesting.  I just did an update request and it says all files are up to date, yet it shows I'm running version 9.1 !!

It may be that your virus definitions are up to date, but you haven't upgraded to the latest version.  Mine upgraded via the automatic update feature.  Until they fix the present bug, I'd recommend  staying with version 9.  V10 has more bells and whistles, and that's probably what is screwing things up.

If you intstall AVG, how often can you get updates?  Is it automatic or do you have to manually download them?  What's the difference between the free version and the pay version?  I never heard of them before.

I used to use Norton which I paid for one time, but got free updates for life.  Then they came out with a new version and started charging subscription fee for updates but then I started hearing a lot of complaints of bugs in their software.  That's about the time I got a new computer, and it had McAfee pre-installed, so I stayed with them.  About $35 annual fee for updates.  I use the free zone alarm firewall, and free versions of AdAware and Spybot, plus the free beta version of Micro$haft's new antispyware.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Roy K8VWX
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 04:47:51 PM »

Don I use the AVG 7 edition but I really have forgotten the advantage over the free
Edition. It probably has more options (bells & whistles) than the free one. I get up-
Dates automatically every day or so and once a week it runs a check on all files, folders
Etc. It is the best antiviral program I have ever used. I hated McAfee.  73
 Smiley
Roy K8VWX
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 04:50:56 PM »

PS Don - Yes it downloads updates and installals them all automatic.
K2FW

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 05:09:48 PM »

Interesting.  I just did an update request and it says all files are up to date, yet it shows I'm running version 9.1 !!

It may be that your virus definitions are up to date, but you haven't upgraded to the latest version.  Mine upgraded via the automatic update feature.  Until they fix the present bug, I'd recommend  staying with version 9.  V10 has more bells and whistles, and that's probably what is screwing things up.

If you intstall AVG, how often can you get updates?  Is it automatic or do you have to manually download them?  What's the difference between the free version and the pay version?  I never heard of them before.

I used to use Norton which I paid for one time, but got free updates for life.  Then they came out with a new version and started charging subscription fee for updates but then I started hearing a lot of complaints of bugs in their software.  That's about the time I got a new computer, and it had McAfee pre-installed, so I stayed with them.  About $35 annual fee for updates.  I use the free zone alarm firewall, and free versions of AdAware and Spybot, plus the free beta version of Micro$haft's new antispyware.

Yes, AVG does automatic updates a couple of times a week.  Also, it will run by itself every few dyas if that is what you wish.   I would rather run it though we I choose to!  Try it out as I feel it will be less stress on your computer.  I have found over the years that way too many guys are running too many programs at one time & it really ends up bogginh down their computers!  I'm using an 8 year old computer that I'm willing to bet is running faster them most people that have much newer ones all because of noe having tons of software running all the time!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 07:29:53 PM »

clamAV is also free.

Outlook - heh, heh! Much of the reason AV stuff is needed in the first place.

I don't use any of the AV stuff. Don't need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015