The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual Naval Aviation Radio Operator Equipment?  (Read 3384 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: August 27, 2005, 04:49:49 PM »

While looking at some pictures I shot today of the radio ops position of a TBD Dauntless torpedo bomber undergoing restoration at Quonset Air Musuem, I noticed an unusual piece of gear below the ART-13.  At first I thought it might be a bellmouth for deployment of a trailing wire antenna, but I'm  now thinking that it might be a logrithimic function facilitator to be used on long missions.  Any airdales out there know for sure?   

* Copy of Qounset MV Rally 082705 002.jpg (134.15 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 422 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:58:42 PM »

Would that be an SBD Dauntless or a TBD Devastator?  If it's a Devestator, they were all shot down/scrapped before the ART-13 came out.

That could be some sort of analog computer for bombing soloutions, althouth the SBD was a dive bomber and probably didn't need such an animal.

The pic isn't really clear enough for me to see exactly what it is.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 08:49:47 PM »

I might be wrong on the ID of the plane - maybe its a TBM. and I stand corrected, its nickname would be the Avenger.  Its one of the later WW2 torpdeo bombers, with a 3 man crew.  I believe this is the type of plane that George Bush Senior flew. The radio operator also operated  an aft pointing  belly machine gun down below and aft of the pilot and co-pilot.  Its one HUGE single placed airplane, and the torpedo is carried within an interal bay with doors.   QAM is doing a fantastic job of restoring the plane, and the detailing in the radio ops bay is amazing so far.  This is the first one I have seen where the ART-13/ATC (standard issue for the plane) was positioned forward of the operator.  Other examples I have seen of this plane in print and in other musuems (Pima, NASM) have the transmitter located aft of the operator on a shelf, facing forward.  I think the companoin receiver used with the ART-13/ATC was the Autotuned ARR-15, although I did not see a reciever installed (yet)  in the QAM plane.

The mystery device in question is the hose with the funnel shaped end on it. I don't think its a speaking tube to talk to the pilot with... and if it is what I think it is, I wouldnt want it anywheres near my face anyhow!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 08:55:34 PM »

It is a TBM-3E Avenger.  Here is the link to its QAM web page:

http://users.ids.net/~qam/AircraftPages/tbm3e.htm

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 09:12:38 PM »

I will be able to show the cabin picture to my father next Tueday.  He was a civilian radio and radar technician attached to a Marine unit in the Pacific at the end of WWII.  He didn't work with TBM's but on SBD's and other planes. 

He says that they all had pee tubes for the crew members.  A common practical joke was to rotate the external pitot tube 180 degrees so that the air pressure on that funnel became positive instead of negative in flight and then you discovered you couldn't take a leak - ha ha.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015