The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old QST Article on Mutual Inductance/coupling coefficient  (Read 5413 times)
WB6VHE
« on: August 26, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »

Greetings!
I have been trying in vain to locate an old QST article that discusses mutual inductance/ coupling coefficient(k).
The article had drawings of different coupling geometries with their attendant values of k, and talked about
the optimum coupling for different applications.  Does anyone remember seeing this, and if so, what issue
it was in?  Even the year would be helpful.  I thought I had put a marker in the issue, but apparently not!
A search on the ARRL website turned up nothing; the problem is I don't remember the title of the article
or the author's name, so I'm shafted.  I tried every combination of the words coupling, inductive, coefficient,
mutual, etc.,  that I could think of and came up empty handed.

Thanks for your help!

KE1GF
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 05:17:29 PM »

Any physics text that covers electrostaticics and magnetism should explain this in detail, you will have to know how to do integral calculus maybe how to solve a differential equation depending on the book.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »

Greetings!
I have been trying in vain to locate an old QST article that discusses mutual inductance/ coupling coefficient(k).
The article had drawings of different coupling geometries with their attendant values of k, and talked about
the optimum coupling for different applications.  Does anyone remember seeing this, and if so, what issue
it was in?  Even the year would be helpful.  I thought I had put a marker in the issue, but apparently not!
A search on the ARRL website turned up nothing; the problem is I don't remember the title of the article
or the author's name, so I'm shafted.  I tried every combination of the words coupling, inductive, coefficient,
mutual, etc.,  that I could think of and came up empty handed.

Thanks for your help!

"old QST" 60's, 50's, 40's, earlier?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB6VHE
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 05:33:51 PM »

Either 50's or 60's I believe...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 07:40:36 PM »

As a last resort, you could pull them off the shelf and page through them again.
But, you might try, Measuring Unknown Indctances, Nov. 1969, page 45 or Measuring Inductance of Chokes, Feb. 1963, page 16, for starters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB6VHE
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 02:53:53 PM »

Thanks, guys.

It looks like it's going to be "look through the whole bunch"....bummah! 
Guess I can do a few of them each day until I find it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015