The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantic Division take notice  (Read 27194 times)
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« on: August 24, 2005, 02:29:11 PM »

It is my understanding that wk3c is running to be director of the Atlantic Division of ARRL.

Wk3c is a member of the board of No Code International.

Some of his statements follow.

...prevent amateur radio from declining into a quaint, but essentially irrelevant, technical “backwater” focused almost solely on legacy technologies that are becoming “historical curiosities.” [from WK3C original candidate statement] 

This statement has been removed after it was copied and posted on QRZ.com. Evidently Carl now doesn't want everyone to know what he really thinks.

Carl Stevenson 1997

"We'd be better off if we could, instead, find a way to reeducate the
whining olde fartz ... those whose knowledge of radio is frozen in the
30s and 40s somewhere don't deserve their licenses today, no matter how
fast they can beep ..."

What do you suppose he thinks about you Atlantic Division guys who run AM?

Vote! and tell everyone else you know about this as well. Make sure they vote as well.

73, Marty WB2RJR AMI #20

AMI #20, GACW #786
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:20:23 PM »

Man.......here we go again. Where do they find these people?
Where do I go to vote?Huh?
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:38:14 PM »

Where do I go to vote?

Damn it.  I thought I was going to be able to drop my ARRL membership and feel good about it.  I just can't just sit here and let this kind of crap happen.  I just joined again, and when I find out how to vote in the Atlantic Division election I will let you all know.

David, K3TUE
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:59:52 PM »

WK3C's Campaign Candidate Statement:
http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c/WK3C_Candidate_Statement_082005.pdf

Ballots are mailed to ARRL members in good standing between Sep. 27th and Oct. 1. Here's the Election Timeline:
http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c/ARRL_Election_Timeline.html

Here's his personal web page:
http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c/

His calendar of events shows that he will be at the FarFest Saturday and Sunday. Probably a good time to see where he's really coming from by asking questions.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:12:54 PM »

Ballots are mailed to ARRL members in good standing between Sep. 27th and Oct. 1. Here's the Election Timeline:

I hope to see him and a lot of other folks there. I will be attending EVERY hamfest until I meet certain people.

His calendar of events shows that he will be at the FarFest Saturday and Sunday. Probably a good time to see where he's really coming from by asking questions.
W3DBB

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:38 AM »

..ALTHOUGH I DONT LIVE IN THE U.S.,I CANT UNDERSTAND THE THINKING OF THESE GUYS. WHAT DRIVES THEM,TO DISRUPT A "HOBBY"? ARE THERE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE SIMILAR THOUGHTS IN THE HOBBIES OF STAMP COLLECTING,COIN COLLECTING,..BUTTERFLIES?..GET A LIFE..AT LEAST IN THIS HOBBY,WE STILL HAVE CHOICES,BE IT RESTORING,COLLECTING,OPERATING OLD BUZZARD STUFF.WHATEVER.AND SOME MEATHEAD WANTS TO CHANGE THINGS,BECAUSE OF HIS PERSONAL BIAS(PUN INTENDED). ..SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
K1MVP
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:42 AM »

No Code International, founded by Carl, was purely a political creation and had no influence on the F.C.C.'s N.P.R.M. to drop the code testing. The writing was on the wall as far back as 1998 that CW testing would be phased out.

CW now eliminated,--My querrie would be can AM be far behind?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »

No Code International, founded by Carl, was purely a political creation and had no influence on the F.C.C.'s N.P.R.M. to drop the code testing.

I thought NCI was started by a group of hams in New Zealand.  At least that's where it began getting into the news, before most people took it seriously.

I believe they are responsible getting the no-code ball rolling worldwide, that culminated in the elimination of the international CW requirement at the recent WARC. 

The FCC proposal just follows the lead of many other countries that have already dropped their code requirement.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »

No Code International, founded by Carl, was purely a political creation and had no influence on the F.C.C.'s N.P.R.M. to drop the code testing.

I thought NCI was started by a group of hams in New Zealand.  At least that's where it began getting into the news, before most people took it seriously.

I believe they are responsible getting the no-code ball rolling worldwide, that culminated in the elimination of the international CW requirement at the recent WARC. 

The FCC proposal just follows the lead of many other countries that have already dropped their code requirement.

The real story: "In 1997, I founded No-Code International to fight the Morse Code testing requirement for Amateur Radio licensing. NCI has been growing rapidly, and today has members in 36 countries. We're lobbying ITU, FCC, and most national governments to drop Morse code testing."
Bruce J. Perens - K6BP
Extra Class - NCI-1001
741 Woodhaven Road
Berkeley, CA 94708 USA
bruce@perens.com

The rest of the story:
http://perens.com/Articles/Morse.html

Google is a useful tool if you use it

wk3c
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 08:06:24 PM »

It is my understanding that wk3c is running to be director of the Atlantic Division of ARRL.

Wk3c is a member of the board of No Code International.

That's clearly stated in the "Memberships and Affiliations" section of my Candidate Statement on my website.  Yes, I believe that the code TEST is not a relevant regulatory requirement in today's world.  The IARU, the ITU-R, and, from a reading of the NPRM, the FCC (along with all of the administrations of the world, according to the results of WRC-03) agree.  (more below)

Some of his statements follow.

...prevent amateur radio from declining into a quaint, but essentially irrelevant, technical “backwater” focused almost solely on legacy technologies that are becoming “historical curiosities.” [from WK3C original candidate statement] 

This statement has been removed after it was copied and posted on QRZ.com. Evidently Carl now doesn't want everyone to know what he really thinks.

That's simply not true.  I knew what I meant (which was that "legacy technologies" are becoming "historical curiositiies" in the world OUTSIDE of ham radio where technology is ever-rapidly advancing).  I meant no negative connotation to CW/AM/etc. ... but a friend pointed out to me that, while *he* knew what I meant, others could misconstrue it and take offense that was not intended, so I revised the text to more clearly and unambiguously reflect what I meant.

Carl Stevenson 1997

"We'd be better off if we could, instead, find a way to reeducate the
whining olde fartz ... those whose knowledge of radio is frozen in the
30s and 40s somewhere don't deserve their licenses today, no matter how
fast they can beep ..."

While this is a post resurected from r.r.a.p on usenet from 8 years ago ...
Everyone complains (including me - read my candidate statement at http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c and the other materials there) about the "decline in technical proficiency" in our ranks ... how many would rationally assert that someone whose knowledge of radio (technology) is, as I said, "frozen in the 30s and 40s"  is "OK" simply on the basis that they can send/receive Morse "real fast?"

We DO need to institute better educational programs.  For example, if today's hams don't learn the (simple but different) techniques involved in dealing with surface mount parts, building will become extinct ... because through hole parts are becoming increasingly unavailable, since there's little/no demand for them in industry.   If nobody can work with surface mount parts, nobody will be able to repair or modify their store-bought gear - is that what we REALLY want?  ( don't think so.

If we (collectively) don't adapt to this (and other) changes, we will, like the dinosaurs, become extinct.

What do you suppose he thinks about you Atlantic Division guys who run AM?

This is an atempt to generate  "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), nothing more, nothing less.

I have NO problem with AM (or CW or any other mode) ... in fact, when I come across stations running AM (mostly on on 160, 80, and 40), I often switch to AM and work them ... I have NO "hidden agenda" as some will allege, to ban or restrict the use of CW, AM, or any other older mode.

However, while I believe we need to adopt modern technologies into our "bag of tricks," I ALSO believe that it has to be done in a way that doesn't "run roughshod" over existing, popular modes.  There WAS a legitimate technical reason to ban spark those many years ago, because it caused widespread interference problems, but there is no similar technical justification to ban or restrict CW, AM, etc.  Folks should be able to chose, and enjoy, the mode(s) of their preference.

Vote! and tell everyone else you know about this as well. Make sure they vote as well.

73, Marty WB2RJR AMI #20

Read my candidate statement and other materials carefully.  You'll find that I'm techically competent, well versed in regulatory affairs, and totally dedicated to ham radio.  Judge me on my merits, not on the basis of rumor, inuendo, and FUD.

Carl - wk3c
http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c
wk3c
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 08:14:22 PM »

I would suggest that folks go to the "root" of the website and click the "Candidate Statement" link ... as I said, I may revise the statement to address new/additional issues based on feedback from the membership (yes, I *am* committed to actually *listen* to the membership).  Anyone with questions is welcome to e-mail me at wk3c@wk3c.com

Yes, barring any unforseen circumstances, I intend to be at the MD/DC Section Convention/FarFest on Sept. 10/11.  According to my communications with the organizer, I should have a table and I'll be happy to openly discuss issues with anyone and everyone.  (Despite flames, FUD, and unfounded allegations, I have NOTHING to hide.)

Carl - wk3c
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 08:40:50 PM »

K1MVP wrote":

>CW now eliminated,--My querrie would be can AM be far behind?

CW has been eliminated? Where?
wk3c
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 08:42:08 PM »

I met Carl this past Sunday, at the Hanover, PA hamfest.

If something about our brief encounter "turned you off," I'd certainly be curious as to what it was.  People were interested in the hamfest and I think the longest conversation I had was with an elderly gentleman who spend about 10 minutes with me.  He was quite sharp and very up on the important issues facing the ARRL an and ham radio in general - in contrast to the few who are all-consumed with the code/no-code issue - which is clearly a dead issue.

Carl says the other two candidates are Bill Edgar, N3LLR, the current Vice-Director, and Scott Bauer, the western New York Section Manager. Carl handed me his resume/candidate statement. I don't have any info on the other two candidates.

Maybe that should tell you something ... I'm committed, interested, and dedicated enough to actually get out and meet the consituency, discuss issues, and listen.  I haven't been able to find a website or any other indication that the other two candidates are doing anything at all to reach out to the membership and find out what they think.

I worked for a long time in the electronics manufacturing industry, mostly in the Engineering or Research and Development areas, and got to know a lot of guys similar to Carl. Nice folks, don't get me wrong, but in the quest for success their behavior adapts to a form that enables them to get to the head of any parade. I'm sure many reading this forum know what I mean.

So the fact that I'm a recognized expert in both the technical and regulatory aspects of radio communication, I'm succesfull, and have held a number of responsible and relatively prominent positions in my career is "negative?Huh"  I'm sorry, I don't get that ...

Would you rather have a retired janitor who's more or less clueless or someone who understands the technology, the regulatory realities, and the really important issues facing the ARRL and ham radio in general???  (I use "janitor" just as an example or an occupation that doesn't exactly prepare one to deal with the complex technical, regulatory, and other issues facing us.)

No Code International, founded by Carl, was purely a political creation and had no influence on the F.C.C.'s N.P.R.M. to drop the code testing. The writing was on the wall as far back as 1998 that CW testing would be phased out.

First, while I have made no attempt to hide my long-term involvement with NCI, I did NOT (as pointed out below by one of the moderators) found NCI.

Second, I was candidly told by "people in the know" in Washington, that the ex parte presentation that my fellow NCI director Bill Sohl and I made to about a dozen high-level FCC staffers "had a substantial influence on" the outcome in the proceeding  in 1999 when the ONLY reason the FCC gave for keeping ANY Morse test requirement at the time was the requirement of S25.5 of the ITU Radio Regulations, which is part of US ITU treaty obligations.

The code_test/no_code_test issue is a dead issue.  The "fat lady's" vocal chords are THOROUGHLY warmed up, and it's time for everyone (on both sides) to "get over it" and address the TRULY important issues we face going into the future.

While there is a vocal minority who will bitch and carp about the code test for at least a couple of decades to come (or until the actuarial tables inevitiably and unfortunately catch up with them), everywhere I've been EVERYONE has accepted this reality and acknowledged that "it's time to move on to more important things."  (There are still people bitching and carping about "privileges lost" more than 50 years ago with the advent of "incentive licensing" and there are probably still at least a few REALLY OTs who are still bitching about spark being banned - but these vocal minorities do not represent "mainstream" ham radio, where most people just want to do what they like.)

The problem is that too many people forget that we are ALL hams.  Many OTs also forget how inexperienced and unknowledgable *they* were when they got on the air many years ago and how the OTs of that day almost universally treated them with respect, courtesy, and helpfulness.  We have to erradicate the "class warfare" mentality that some, but not all, OTs have towards "newbies."  We have to reach out to and bring into ham radio the young people who will be the future generations of hams - otherwise when the actuarial tables catch up with us (I'll be 55 in October and I'm considerably on the younger side of the median age of US hams) there will BE no ham radio because there will BE NO hams.   I have 7 grandchildren.  I'd like THEIR grandchildren to have the opportunity to enjoy an benefit from ham radio.

As I live in the Atlantic Division, it will be interesting to see how this turns out. My A.R.R.L. membership still has another year and a half to go so it looks like I'll be voting in this one.

I'm really hoping either Edgar and/or Bauer wears a beige or lighter-colored hat so we in the Atlantic Division don't end up voting for the least worst candidate.

I don't believe you're the elderly gentleman who spent 10 minutes with me at the hamfest ... can you explain to my why on the basis of (certainly less than) 10 minutes of your time, you appear to have concluded hat I "wear a black hat???"

If you have questions, ask.  Read my candidate statement.  Don't make a negative judgement against me on the basis that I'm knowledgable, qualified, and (at least comparatively) successful ...

Carl - wk3c
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »

Damn it.  I thought I was going to be able to drop my ARRL membership and feel good about it.  I just can't just sit here and let this kind of crap happen.

Funny, I re-joined thinking I was gonna vote against, but now I'm thinking about voting for.  Looks like I have some more reading to do.

David, K3TUE
K1MVP
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 11:36:03 PM »

K1MVP wrote":

Let me "clarify" if I may,--the proposal by the FCC is to eliminate testing
for cw,--many believe this may lead to the elimination of cw in the future,
OR the reduction of cw spectrum, in order to allow more frequency
spectrum, --for the digital modes, and other phone modes,--the primary
one being SSB.--Many are concerned as to where AM will fit into the
"big picture", after all this is "resolved" especially with a big new "influx'
of NCG`s and NCE`s.
                                     73, K1MVP 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 02:14:41 PM »

K1MVP wrote":

Let me "clarify" if I may,--the proposal by the FCC is to eliminate testing
for cw,--many believe this may lead to the elimination of cw in the future,
OR the reduction of cw spectrum, in order to allow more frequency
spectrum, --for the digital modes, and other phone modes,--the primary
one being SSB.--Many are concerned as to where AM will fit into the
"big picture", after all this is "resolved" especially with a big new "influx'
of NCG`s and NCE`s.
                                     73, K1MVP 

When they stopped asking questions about plate modulated AM rigs on the license exams, did AM go away?

When most, if not all, driving exams eliminated the "hand" turn signal testing requirement, did people stop making turns?

From "dit dah" people, I sweated through it, you gotta do it; it's a writ of passage; you're not worth zip if you don't master it.

David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 03:22:53 PM »

Funny, I re-joined [the ARRL] thinking I was gonna vote against, but now I'm thinking about voting for.  Looks like I have some more reading to do.

It is a sad commentary on the current state of the ARRL that the election elegability is closing in 11 days and I can find nothing about the election on the ARRL main page or with a simple search.

Here are my observations about WK3C's based on his candidate statement.

# His Technical Competence
You will have a hard time arguing his technical competance and its relevance for the position he is seeking.  His work with the ARRL on the BPL issue is praiseworthy, since BPL interference is, far more than no-code will ever be, a real threat to the future enjoyment and utility of amateur radio.  We need someone this knowledgable in digital mode technology working for us.

# Our Technical Competence
He points out, correctly, that whether we like it or not for amateur radio to be continued to be considered relevant we have be able to fulfill the "Basis and Purpose" as stated by the FCC in Part 97.  Part of this is to be sure we have enough members who are  conversant in the latest modes of digital communication for the reliable emergency transmission of digital data, audio, video, etc.  This does not mean that we all have to be conversant to any specific degree in any of these digital modes.  But there has to be room for developing and promoting this technology within the amateur radio service.

# Our Influence On Our Own Future
He also points out, correctly, that if the ARRL is seen as the most respected unified voice representing US amateur radio operators by the US regulating body (the FCC) and the US legistlating body (Congress) that we have to make an effort to have the ARRL speak for more US amatuer radio operators.  That does not mean that individual participation would not be allowed/welcome.  It just means that we will be a more influential force unified and targeted than as a bunch of people writing our congress people about issues most of them do not know or care about.

# Seeding For The Future Of Amateur Radio
Finally, he gets to the point that the ranks of the future of amateur radio are dwindling.  We have to find ways to interest and encourage others, young and not so young, in joining the ranks of amateur radio operators.  It is through our organized efforts at such that we can be sure that we are recruiting people with a desire to continue to better their knowledge and skills in whatever modes or methods that interest them in amateur radio.

For what it's worth.

David, K3TUE
wk3c
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 07:41:35 PM »

Funny, I re-joined [the ARRL] thinking I was gonna vote against, but now I'm thinking about voting for.  Looks like I have some more reading to do.

It is a sad commentary on the current state of the ARRL that the election elegability is closing in 11 days and I can find nothing about the election on the ARRL main page or with a simple search.

The deadline for candidates has already passed ... the deadline of Sept 10th is when one has to be a "member in good standing" ("on the books") in order to receive a ballot.

You will have a hard time arguing his technical competance and its relevance for the position he is seeking.  His work with the ARRL on the BPL issue is praiseworthy, since BPL interference is, far more than no-code will ever be, a real threat to the future enjoyment and utility of amateur radio.  We need someone this knowledgable in digital mode technology working for us.

He points out, correctly, that whether we like it or not for amateur radio to be continued to be considered relevant we have be able to fulfill the "Basis and Purpose" as stated by the FCC in Part 97.  Part of this is to be sure we have enough members who are  conversant in the latest modes of digital communication for the reliable emergency transmission of digital data, audio, video, etc.  This does not mean that we all have to be conversant to any specific degree in any of these digital modes.  But there has to be room for developing and promoting this technology within the amateur radio service.

He also points out, correctly, that if the ARRL is seen as the most respected unified voice representing US amateur radio operators by the US regulating body (the FCC) and the US legistlating body (Congress) that we have to make an effort to have the ARRL speak for more US amatuer radio operators.  That does not mean that individual participation would not be allowed/welcome.  It just means that we will be a more influential force unified and targeted than as a bunch of people writing our congress people about issues most of them do not know or care about.

Finally, he gets to the point that the ranks of the future of amateur radio are dwindling.  We have to find ways to interest and encourage others, young and not so young, in joining the ranks of amateur radio operators.  It is through our organized efforts at such that we can be sure that we are recruiting people with a desire to continue to better their knowledge and skills in whatever modes or methods that interest them in amateur radio.

For what it's worth.

Thanks, Dave ... from my admittedly concise "Candidate Statement," you seem to have gathered an exceptionally accurate picture of what I'm about.

I appreciate your positive comments here.

I've hit the search engines a number of times and still haven't found hide nor hair of any campaign info websites of any sort from the other two candidates ... it's certainly easy enough to set up a website, so I just don't understand it ...

Frankly, the apparent lack of openness and willingness to discuss the issues from the other candidates would disturb and concern me considerably if I were not a candidate myself  Wink

Carl - wk3c
wk3c
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 07:46:29 PM »

The deadline for candidates has already passed ... the deadline of Sept 10th is when one has to be a "member in good standing" ("on the books") in order to receive a ballot.

For what it's worth.

Thanks, Dave ... from my admittedly concise "Candidate Statement," you seem to have gathered an exceptionally accurate picture of what I'm about.

I appreciate your positive comments here.

I've hit the search engines a number of times and still haven't found hide nor hair of any campaign info websites of any sort from the other two candidates ... it's certainly easy enough to set up a website, so I just don't understand it ...

Frankly, the apparent lack of openness and willingness to discuss the issues from the other candidates would disturb and concern me considerably if I were not a candidate myself  Wink

Carl - wk3c

Additionally, FWIW, one of the participants on the QRP-L list offered to set up a forum for debate amongst the candidates - and ended up pulling the offer because I was the ONLY candiate who expressed a willingness to particiapte.

Carl - wk3c
K1MVP
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 09:38:47 PM »

When they stopped asking questions about plate modulated AM rigs on the license exams, did AM go away?

When most, if not all, driving exams eliminated the "hand" turn signal testing requirement, did people stop making turns?

From "dit dah" people, I sweated through it, you gotta do it; it's a writ of passage; you're not worth zip if you don't master it.

Ok Pete,
You are right,(as usual)--AM is still a viable mode, but a newcomer would be
hard pressed to know it as its not in the new ARRL handbook.
By the way,--are there ANY questions on the tests as to how AM is generated in the "high tech" rigs?--I rather doubt it.

73, K1MVP

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 10:39:27 PM »

Ok Pete,
You are right,(as usual)--AM is still a viable mode, but a newcomer would be
hard pressed to know it as its not in the new ARRL handbook.
By the way,--are there ANY questions on the tests as to how AM is generated in the "high tech" rigs?--I rather doubt it.

73, K1MVP

It probably would be a simple question since in most current "high tech" rigs, the SSB, AM, FM, digital, etc. type modes  are  generally done by DSP modulation algorithms for voice and data transmission.

2ZE
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 09:50:04 AM »

Frankly, since I arrived here because I became aware of this forum because someone e-mailed me that I was being "flamed" here, I'm not sure if I'm doing Neil a favor or a disservice ...

I notice the person who started this thread hasn't come by to at least offer an apology Roll Eyes
It's a pretty sad thing that people have to hear about AMFONE.NET because they are being badmouthed, especially someone who could be our next Atlantic division director.
Shines a pretty bad light on us. Undecided
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 10:39:30 AM »

All I can say is I agree 100% with WK3C and will be voting for him.  I would hope that if nothing else I will obtain helpful responses to any questions I direct to him rather than non-responsive drivel, as seems to be the case with the incumbent.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1UJR
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 07:18:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015