The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:13:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More BPL Propaganda - On NPR's Morning Edition this time  (Read 2757 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 17, 2005, 05:00:01 PM »

Utility companies are excited about the marketing opportunity for a new technology that allows high-speed Web access through existing electrical outlets. The Federal Communications Commission has given its approval.

Listen to streaming audio

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N9NEO

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 08:11:27 PM »

Well I see it's high time we ressurrect this dinosaur I've so callously called the BPLosaurus.  (What was I thinking?) Seems there's a clever new way to rid bpl of that annoying interference to the ham radio operator.  It's called a notch filter.

I hope that lady down in Texas who spent a big pile of the town's (population abt. 1400) money betting on BPL doesn't get burnt.

This will be a very good test.

Just say NEO!

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 04:05:26 PM »

Well,  Verizon recently installed fiber optic service in my area. It gives 15mps dowload and 5  mbps upload speeds. faster than what BPL can offer to my knowledge.  And VZ can probably make it go even fastert in the event of competition. I am hoping the fibre optic stuff keeps the BPL crap out of my neighborhood.  Even if it does I do feel sorry for others who might have to suffer with it.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 06:53:09 PM »

This morning they read rebuttals sent in by listeners.

Radio interference is mentioned, but nothing specific about amateur radio.  This was a good move, because the pro-BPL people so far have painted the opposition as a tiny special interest group of faintly embarrassing radio hobbyists, far out of the mainstream, who are bent on impeding technological progress that would be in the public interest. Arguments are more persuasive when emphasis is placed on public safety, national security and international broadcasting, and, BTW, amateur radio.

Listen 1 minute 11 seconds into the audio clip.
Morning Edition Letters from Listeners

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015