The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: test equipment: VTVM  (Read 6116 times)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« on: August 15, 2005, 10:32:47 PM »

I would like to know, other than for buzzard points, do I need a VTVM, or will my brand new RMS DMM do?

David, K3TUE
WV Hoopie
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 12:36:58 AM »

Hi Dave,

IMHO: Any high impedance meter that does not load the circuit under test will do the trick. I've used some latest and greatest DMM and at times go back to an old Radio Shack dual FET meter for no other reason than the analog meter is easier to read. Can't stand the digital display not knowing which way to go. The analog meter is slower and sometimes gives an indication easier to interpret.

So with that said, I start with the DMM. If it can't handle the situation, switch to the old standby RS meter.

Hoopie,
K2FW

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 09:57:19 AM »

You can't beat the good old RCA/Viz WV-98C model VTVM's.  They are not too costly & really work great!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 07:36:07 AM »

The only reasns you'd need a VTVM vice a digital multimeter is (a) peaking up a circuit for max or min (the digital display is hard to see a peak) and (b) for use in a high RF environment.  Looking at a plate circuit with plenty of RF on it sometimes drives a digital MM a bit bonkers.

Again, you should be able to score an old buzzard VTVM at a hamfest for $5-10.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 07:59:54 PM »

Personally my AWA 'Voltohmyst' sits on an eyelevel shelf in the middle of the bench and never moves. For peaking tuning RF mesurment with an RF probe it is king!  The Tek DMM I have gets used when I want higher accuracy (well probably higher resolution - not the same thing)  or something portable. If I had to have only one , the portability of the DMM would win out. But you don't have to have only one - collect as meny as you need!
                                                                                                  Ian VK3KRI   
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:44:22 AM »

"The Tek DMM I have gets used when I want higher accuracy (well probably higher resolution - not the same thing)  or something portable. If I had to have only one , the portability of the DMM would win out. VK3KRI "  
  you need Three.... if you only have one, how do you know if its correct? Two, now you dont know which one to trust.... need three for the best guess.... ask Vortex Joe, HE understands.......klc

If the dvm can take the voltage, why not....  klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015