The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:09:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything is broke.......including me!  (Read 4163 times)
kc2ifr
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:10:16 AM »

First..... the screen supply on my 4cx1500B linyear went up in smoke..have to redesign and rebuild it.
Second... my Valiant pooped the bed, plate current pegged and the driver pot is bad. Have the parts to replace the drive pot with a transistor and new pot but I think something in the tank ckt. shorted causing the pinned plate current. One of those padding caps or something. Have been replacing them as they go.
Third......my Ranger is working but the cathode current for the osc/buffer is pegged. The poor tube doesnt like glowing red!
And finally my R390A is not working (happend yesterday). Seems like the audio is working but no rf. Can hear nothing but a hiss and no S meter readings. Hoping its the ballast tube.

With my bad back...I cant move most of this stuff untill my back gets better. Getting old sucks..
Perhaps I should take up stamp collecting..... Undecided
DIRK
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:50:03 AM »

Hey Bill please dont take up stamp collecting!  We need you where you really belong here on good old AM....dirkatron Grin
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 11:18:46 AM »

Hey Bill please dont take up stamp collecting!  We need you where you really belong here on good old AM....dirkatron Grin

Yeah Bill. Some of us really enjoy your on the air bitching....just kidding. Grin

Screw the tetrode amp. Pull the socket and sell the tube, socket and fil xfmr on ebay. Grab a GS-35B and be done with it. Triodes are so much easier to deal with in R.F. H.F. power amps. The support circuitry for tetrodes is too much monkey business.

Good luck. And stop reading this. You have work to do.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 03:01:46 PM »

Safety first when working on the high voltage stuff:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 09:30:30 AM »

Bill - Whew! Man did you come across some nasty shit!

Let me know what shit you need to rebuild the scream suckply, etc etc. I gots lots of iron and other shit I could help you out with.

Regarding the 390A, it sounds like you launched a ballast tube. I think they replace them with a 12BY7 or something like that. There are many mods for replacement ballast tubes on the net. Let me know what you need and I'll throw it in with your iron, chokes, whatever.

YOU ARE A BIG DOG on the porch with the rest of the big dogs. Just because you launched a scream suckply doesn't mean you're in the doghouse!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015