The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:15:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valiant crapped out-  (Read 3937 times)
N8LGU

« on: August 12, 2005, 09:32:05 AM »

Last night my Valiant had no modulation after warm up. Worked ok before shutting
down the night before. Alll meter readings normal except  only a very small kick upward
when tapping the D-104.  Hmmm... Mod idle bias is normal... Carrier  and loading normal...
Pull it out of the case... whew!... 12AX7 weak. Replaced it with a good one... Readings the
same and still no audio. All other tubes check good... Ran the Mod bias up and down and
got normal meter swing on the Mod currant... Have to go to work, now. Will keep you
posted. Maybe my D-104 crapped out. Cant find my spare. I'll have to get out the Audio
generator, Monday.

"Rock Cave Dave"
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 09:50:03 AM »

Just a shot in the dark but I remember reading somewhere that the audio driver transformer is a common failure mode in these rigs... Check for an open secondary perhaps?

Last night my Valiant had no modulation after warm up. Worked ok before shutting
down the night before. Alll meter readings normal except  only a very small kick upward
when tapping the D-104.  Hmmm... Mod idle bias is normal... Carrier  and loading normal...
Pull it out of the case... whew!... 12AX7 weak. Replaced it with a good one... Readings the
same and still no audio. All other tubes check good... Ran the Mod bias up and down and
got normal meter swing on the Mod currant... Have to go to work, now. Will keep you
posted. Maybe my D-104 crapped out. Cant find my spare. I'll have to get out the Audio
generator, Monday.
N8LGU

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 10:58:10 AM »

Thanks, Glenn. I'll check it out. I have one set aside for the transmitter I.m
building, but I don't want to use it on the Valiant. I wanted to keep the Valiant
stock, but may go ahead and pull out the clipper and do Timtron's resistance
coupled mod at this juncture.  -Dave

"Rock Cave Dave"
N8LGU

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:42:52 PM »

Rock Cave Dave's Valiant is back on the air. Turned out the choke L-45 went open.
I removed the 6AL5 and 6C4 and bypassed all the clipper/ shaper circuitry. Also increased
the audio coupling condensers (yes, CONDENSERS) to .087 uF . At least it was nothing
serious. javascript:void(0);
Cheesy

"Rock Cave Dave"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015