The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:22:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W3F and the Gaithersburg gang ride again!!  (Read 17484 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »

L-to-R, Front: Paul-WA3VJB, Ed-N3LHB, Fred-KC4MOP, Steve-WB3HUZ; Rear: Dave-K2IJY, Tron-WA1HLR
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 10:18:17 PM »

It is with great disappointment that I will be unable to attend. At the last minute today I was notified that I would have to work all weekend Embarrassed The money is nice but it doesn't do a damn bit of good if you can't go out and blow it on ham radio junque.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »

ALthough Danny didn't have any comped tickets for us, he said if you come in after hours just tell the gate guards (if any) that you're with the Special Events station.  You shouldn't have to pay for a tailgating space but be prepared to pay for admission.

The FARfest is, after all, put on to provide scholarships for young hams.  I can't think of any hamfests where such a worthy cause is supported directly by your ticket money.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 07:13:16 AM »

When Al Brown was running the show he distributed comp tickets in advance, which we then handed out to participants in the AM Festival Station.

A number of us repaid the courtesy by helping situate the fleamarket tables, the refuse barrels and other site chores. 

One year Gary passed the hat and collected more than $100 in donations from among us to present to hamfest officials. Fate of the money unknown. I don't remember any of us ever getting a note or a phone call as to what was done with it.

Then the hamfest moved to Bowie, the leadership changed, it moved again to West Friendship, and now back to Gaithersburg where they hope to regain the magnitude this fester had enjoyed the prior 40+ years.

You can help by joining us -- do a Mapquest to:

16 Chestnut St. , Gaithersburg, Md.

and get yerself there !
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 04:43:16 PM »

Thanks for the info John and all. It's not that I am cheap....well, not that cheap...I just wanted to know if there was a secret code word to get in. I am glad to pay and help out with the cause.

Does there look to be plenty of space available in the corral area for parking and tenting?

See you guys down there  Wink  and sorry you can't make it Mike(y)...having to work is a bummer on ANY weekend.

---Dave  W3NP
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 09:31:28 PM »

Alas, it is not to be for me this year. Cry
I left at 12:45 PM today for the Fest. It is now about 9:25 PM and I am back home never having made it out of the state of Ohio. Just before the last exit on the turnpike before Pennsylvania the shift govenor in the transmission went out while the cruise control was on. That is the equivilent of doing 65 mph and putting the car in neutral without removing your foot from the gas, only worse. As the car slows down, the cruise pushes on the gas harder causing the engine to over-rev until you realize what has happened and shut it off. By then it is too late. You are left with first gear only and the engine probably has a spun bearing or two (or more) judging by the loss of oil pressure and the knock.
There is good news however. I have been paying for AAA RV PLus with 100 mile free towing for about 3 years. It paid off tonite!

Bill KA8WTK
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 05:19:51 PM »

Gaithersburg 1994

Looks like the Earth may have been tilting a bit to the left when that photo was made.

Wish I could have been there!

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2005, 05:57:56 PM »

Briam said:

I felt the same way Brian. I had to work yesterday and I needed a day to sleep in and catch my breath. I guess I'll have to wait until next year. But I'm kinda curious as to when the next fest is around here.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2005, 07:13:36 PM »

Briam said:

I felt the same way Brian. I had to work yesterday and I needed a day to sleep in and catch my breath. I guess I'll have to wait until next year. But I'm kinda curious as to when the next fest is around here.

PA: Packrats & Sellersville
NJ: DVRA & BARA
MD: Howard County

More info: http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 10:18:17 PM »

Paul VJB just sent in some photos

http://amfone.net

You must be logged in to use the image gallery

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2005, 10:46:40 AM »

Quote from: AMFone.net
Sorry
You are not authorized to access the Image Gallery..

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »

Well....I finally arrived at the 'fest, albeit Sunday morning instead of Saturday afternoon/evening as intended. The RA-1000 ended up needing quite a bit more disassembly than described, which was a major PITA. Then we got to sit in traffic for an hour and a half because an exit not even related to 495 West was under construction. Made the hotel with seconds to spare - literally. It was 11:59 PM when I went through the door.

Sunday ended up being a pretty good day, though. Got into the fairgrounds a little after 8 and immediately found the AM station. Met 'JN, the HUZ (who I promptly called 'Mark' while still trying to engage my brain), Frank 'The Slab Bacon' and a few others. Then who did I spy but Wayne, 'SSJ! Someone did mention there was another 1-Lander there.

Didn't get to stay very long as I had to hook up with a fellow I was dropping a SX-42 carcass to for parts. But I did enjoy the time spent yapping away with John and Mar....er...Steve! The pair of Gonset gooney boxes in Ken's pictures were still there Sunday morning, along with a pile of tubes inside. I got to see John's SX-88 also. I'm still trembling. Smiley  Good of him to bring it along, I should've sat down and tried to operate a bit.

Apologies to those I had intended to catch up with but didn't. It was a full, fast trip to me: Vermont to Gaithersburg, MD via Elizabeth City, NC. There are still 4 large pieces of iron in the back of the truck to unload along with all of the panels and boxes of spares in the trailer. I can hardly wait. 

Next year I intend to devote the entire weekend to the 'fest. Despite the doom and gloom preachers, I think it will become an excellent AM gathering again.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »

We were really glad you made it to the fester, Todd.  Had a lot of fun shooting the bull with you, and look forward to seeing you next year unless I make it to Hosstrader's.

73 John

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »

Thanks, John. I really hope you, Steve, and some of the others can make it up here in October. It's really a great 'fest again since they moved it back to Hopkinton. Last spring was one of the best for me: got rid of 4 rigs, brought an equal number back home that were at least smaller/lighter, but best of all is the socializing, fine food, and good swill. You'd really enjoy it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »

I just received the W3F QSL certificate from Frank KB3AHE in this afternoon's mail.  Also, during a QSO this afternoon on 75, someone else mentioned that they got their QSL today.   

Hats off to all involved and many thanks!  I'm looking forward to making it back to W3F at next year's G'burg.

Go Duke![/b]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015