The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Necks Chevelle Site  (Read 8881 times)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:13:48 PM »

Here is a really great site for classic Chevys.  Be sure to check out the  photo album section.
http://www.noneckschevelle.com/index.html
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 10:38:49 PM »

Nice site George. I'm a big Impala/El Camino guy. Saw my favvorite Impala at all places a golf course. '64 Impala. Black with standard red interior. 409, 4-speed, dual exhaust and I'm sure there was a tri-power sitting on top of the block. The only thing not stock (or cherry) was the Craiger wheels that he had on. And even they looked right nice. Just give me 6 good numbers........

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 05:02:35 AM »

Quote from: W3SLK
Nice site George. I'm a big Impala/El Camino guy. Saw my favvorite Impala at all places a golf course. '64 Impala. Black with standard red interior. 409, 4-speed, dual exhaust and I'm sure there was a tri-power sitting on top of the block. The only thing not stock (or cherry) was the Craiger wheels that he had on. And even they looked right nice. Just give me 6 good numbers........

409's were really under rated. I started drag racing, "On The Track" with a big ole 65 Impala SS with a 340 HP 409 and a 4  speed. I won 15 trophies in one season at the Atco dragway in NJ running in the D/strictly stock class. Every weekend the Impala  would dine on 383 Roadrunners, 389GTO's, Buick Grand Sports, 289 Mustangs, and  421 Pontiac 2+2's. Yummy.
W3SLK

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:20:08 AM »

409's were really under rated. I started drag racing, "On The Track" with a big ole 65 Impala SS with a 340 HP 409 and a 4 speed. I won 15 trophies in one season at the Atco dragway in NJ running in the D/strictly stock class

Thatis interesting. I've been to Atco I guess about 28 years ago. My aunt & uncle live down in Pine Grove. My cousin used to run his Vega there with a big block. The only problem he had was that he was constantly snapping the driveshafts and ladder bars. Too much torque on the rear end and it would take a nose dive.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 12:05:16 PM »

Any of you guys ever race at Islip Speedway out on Long Island?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:15:16 PM »

Gee clear the cob webs....I worked with a guy many years ago who took his 409 wagon to the Nationals a couple times. I think he  did well and
got his picture in Hot Rod. Can't even remember his name.
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 01:27:28 PM »

Quote from: Glenn K2KL

Was That was a circle track Glen?
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 01:32:22 PM »

We used to drive out there from Selden to watch the drags but I think they also had a dirt oval for the midgets..

Quote from: GEORGE/W2AMR
Quote from: Glenn K2KL

Was That was a circle track Glen?
W3SLK

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 06:28:55 PM »

Glenn said:
We used to drive out there from Selden to watch the drags but I think they also had a dirt oval for the midgets..

I thought that was where they used to run the old figure 8 races. I remember watching that stuff Saturday on ABC's Wide World of Sports, of course right after watching the American Sportsman!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 06:54:51 PM »

Quote from: W3SLK
Glenn said:

I thought that was where they used to run the old figure 8 races. I remember watching that stuff Saturday on ABC's Wide World of Sports, of course right after watching the American Sportsman!

OH Yeah. I remember that.
Several half mile paved race tracks in this area used the front stretch as 1/8 mile drag strips.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 08:41:04 AM »

I had a School friend with a 409 and he took me on the RT84 quarter mile
near Manchester. My old 60 Catalina went into vapor lock and he beat me.
Back when we were 17
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 05:07:51 PM »

Quote from: WA1GFZ
I had a School friend with a 409 and he took me on the RT84 quarter mile
near Manchester. My old 60 Catalina went into vapor lock and he beat me.
Back when we were 17

It probably had a heart attack when it realized what you expected it to do.
W2JBL

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 08:01:49 PM »

last time i laid eyes on Islip speedway about 1982 it was a high banked paved 1/5 mile (damn that's short) oval. the track was closed, and it was a sunday afternoon. i was there for the famous old Limarc hammmfest they had in the parking lot. a quick 20$ to some kid working around the gate got me in and i hot lapped my 1968 mutstang SCCA road racer a few laps. what a blast! during and before the 60's when it was dirt, NASCAR ran sho nuff Grand National races there. imagine 40 big block 4100 pound ground pounders on a 1/5 mile oval! Nascar ran the big boys on dirt tracks back then as a regular part of the tour. too bad they ain't smart enough to do it today....ARCA stiil runs a few on dirt. hey Glen- ever run Middletown NY? i drove a buddies street stock there in the mid 80's. also Bob K1KBW used to run Stafford CT.  don't forget John KC2FXE who wrenches modifieds up in the capital district. any more fast AM'ers on here?
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 08:36:39 PM »

Quote from: KD2XA
last time i laid eyes on Islip speedway about 1982 it was a high banked paved 1/5 mile (damn that's short) oval. the track was closed, and it was a sunday afternoon. i was there for the famous old Limarc hammmfest they had in the parking lot. a quick 20$ to some kid working around the gate got me in and i hot lapped my 1968 mutstang SCCA road racer a few laps. what a blast! during and before the 60's when it was dirt, NASCAR ran sho nuff Grand National races there. imagine 40 big block 4100 pound ground pounders on a 1/5 mile oval! Nascar ran the big boys on dirt tracks back then as a regular part of the tour. too bad they ain't smart enough to do it today....ARCA stiil runs a few on dirt. hey Glen- ever run Middletown NY? i drove a buddies street stock there in the mid 80's. also Bob K1KBW used to run Stafford CT.  don't forget John KC2FXE who wrenches modifieds up in the capital district. any more fast AM'ers on here?

For old stock car fans from this area this site is a bit of heaven.
http://3widespicturevault.com/3wide_MAIN_VAULT_.htm
My uncle owned Modified and Sportsman stock cars for many years. I plan to get together with his son, my cousin , and scan in pics of his car and get them posted on 3 wide.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 09:58:37 AM »

The old 60 poncho had a 4 speed automatic with 3.3:1 first gear. It came out pretty well for 4400 LBs. Real goat roper days. It was the family ride that my Dad gave me when I got my license. I did a timing chain and dropped a carter AFB on it with dual exhaust.  You couldn't beat that back seat.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 03:20:53 PM »

Hi Chris;

Never got up to Middletown to race, I hear they're still going hot and heavy up there... That was a bit far for a Long Island boy  Cool

Didn't see the dirt track NASCAR at Islip but the midgets were a pisser! love to watch them go tumblin when the open wheels would touch  :lol:

Quote from: KD2XA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015