The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ah, #μ¢Җ!!!!!  (Read 6575 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: July 22, 2005, 03:55:01 PM »

IGNORANT BASTARDS!!!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:31:25 PM »

Don, it does try the Patience.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 07:30:12 AM »

I didn't know livestock can understand time or read a time piece.

These dumb ass legislators don't have anything better to do, I guess.  What a waste of taxpayers money.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:38:02 AM »

This whole day light saving thing is just plain STUPID!!!  My complaint about it is that it is disruptive.  Either stay on it all the time (advance the time in all time zones 1 hour) or just don't do it at all, my preference.

73, Chuck...K1KW
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 09:52:28 AM »

I worry about little kids standing out on the road in the morning darkness waiting for a school bus.  Where's the saving of daylight there?

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 11:50:19 AM »

Reps. Edward Markey, D-Massachusetts, and Fred Upton, R-Michigan, agreed to scale back their original proposal, and Senate negotiators accepted the new version, along with a call for a study on how much daylight-saving time actually affects oil consumption.

The Senate version had no daylight-shifting time provision.  I was hoping that the whole thing would die when they hammered out the final version of the energy bill.

Markey & Upton originally co-sponsored the measure, claiming it would save the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day. DST may save energy during summer months when the sun rises as early 4:30 AM, standard time. But in mid-March and late October, any energy saved in the evening is lost in the morning as people turn on lights and raise thermostats while stumbling in the dark getting ready for work and school. Since the coldest part of the day is just before sunrise, the shop keeper will use more heating fuel in the early part of the day as well as supply more light. In today's factories, housed in windowless buildings and often operating 24 hours per day, the amount of lighting required would not change at all.

According to a report on CNN, the country uses about 20 million barrels of oil a day, so 10,000 barrels a day amounts to one part per 2000, or one twentieth of one percent! Will such a minuscule energy saving justify disrupting the daily routine of millions of people, forcing everyone to rise an hour earlier in the morning and go to bed an hour earlier in the evening, having children wait for the school bus in darkness, during March and late October?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to study how much daylight-shifting time actually affects oil consumption BEFORE making any change?

Daylight shifting time doesn't save a nanosecond of daylight.  The bottom line is that many of us will be forced to get up an hour earlier.

Why can't the early birds who like to get up before daybreak just re-set their own alarm clocks, and let the rest of us go on with our normal daily routine. :evil:

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
John Holotko

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 12:15:27 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv

This kind of ignorant stupidity really makes me sick. I like the stupid comment from markey (D) Massachusettes, "Daylight savings time just makes everyone feel sunnier".  What an idiot remark.  Much software is designed to switch from daylight savings time to standard time on or about a given date and time. All those programs will now have to be updated or patched at an expense.

I propose that the lawmakers take longer vacations andn leave people alone with their crazy hairbrained schemes that they seem to hatch faster than termite eggs.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
John Holotko

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 12:18:38 PM »

Another POV on some of the potential problems extending DST.

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000130.html

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 12:42:16 PM »

its always been stupid to switch times. we should split the
difference. ie "fall back" 1/2 hour today - and leave it that
way year around. some countries do just that.

am forever!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »

"In addition to the benefits of energy savings, less crime, fewer traffic fatalities, more recreation time and increased economic activity, daylight savings just brings a smile to everybody's faces. We all just feel sunnier after we set the clocks back."

Actually, he is right.  I do feel sunnier after we set our clocks back to standard time in the fall.

I bet this idiot would claim that DST somehow reduces the effects of AIDS,  will delay the alleged upcoming Social Security crisis, and will help us win the war in Iraq.

- - -
John Holotko

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 01:18:18 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
"In addition to the benefits of energy savings, less crime, fewer traffic fatalities, more recreation time and increased economic activity, daylight savings just brings a smile to everybody's faces. We all just feel sunnier after we set the clocks back."

Actually, he is right.  I do feel sunnier after we set our clocks back to standard time in the fall.

I bet this idiot would claim that DST somehow reduces the effects of AIDS,  will delay the alleged upcoming Social Security crisis, and will help us win the war in Iraq.

This is just political hack BS. This is just so a guy like Markey can stand up and say, "hey look at me, I did something now go vote for me".  Hopefully most people won't be impressed with this idiocy.

W8KHZ

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 08:12:56 PM »

Upton noted that the extension means daylight-saving time will continue through Halloween, adding to safety. "Kids across the nation will soon rejoice," said Upton, because they'll have another hour of daylight trick-or-treating.

What kid wants to trick-or-treat in the daylight?  All the fun on Halloween I ever experience happened after it was dark. Besides, good ol' Jack-O-Lanterns aren't as impressive in the daylight...but then again, think of  the dollars saved on candles....

Brian - W8KHZ

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
John Holotko

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 09:48:16 PM »

Quote from: W8KHZ
Upton noted that the extension means daylight-saving time will continue through Halloween, adding to safety. "Kids across the nation will soon rejoice," said Upton, because they'll have another hour of daylight trick-or-treating.

What kid wants to trick-or-treat in the daylight?  All the fun on Halloween I ever experience happened after it was dark. Besides, good ol' Jack-O-Lanterns aren't as impressive in the daylight...but then again, think of  the dollars saved on candles....

Brian - W8KHZ

Unbelievable. If this is the kind of reasoning that the people sponsoring and supporting that have to stand on then it is obvious they are little more than political hacks looking for publicity. Hopefully it will flop on them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015