The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:52:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC proposes dropping Morse code requirement entirely  (Read 9207 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: July 21, 2005, 10:39:16 PM »

Just received.   It appears the FCC is not a push over for all
ARRL suggestions... Maybe the ARRL bandwidth proposal will
have a similar reception?

T

------------------------

SB QST @ ARL $ARLB018
ARLB018 FCC proposes dropping Morse code requirement entirely

ZCZC AG18
QST de W1AW  
ARRL Bulletin 18  ARLB018
From ARRL Headquarters  
Newington CT  July 21, 2005
To all radio amateurs

SB QST ARL ARLB018
ARLB018 FCC proposes dropping Morse code requirement entirely

The FCC has proposed dropping the 5 WPM Morse code element as a
requirement to obtain an Amateur Radio license of any class. The
Commission included the recommendation in a July 19 Notice of
Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) in WT Docket 05-235, but it declined to
go along with any other proposed changes to Amateur Service
licensing rules or operating privileges. Changes to Part 97 that the
FCC proposed in the NPRM would not become final until the Commission
gathers additional public comments, formally adopts any new rules
and concludes the proceeding with a Report and Order specifying the
changes and an effective date. That's not likely to happen for
several months.

"Based upon the petitions and comments, we propose to amend our
amateur service rules to eliminate the requirement that individuals
pass a telegraphy examination in order to qualify for any amateur
radio operator license," the FCC said. The NPRM consolidated 18
petitions for rule making from the amateur community--including one
from the ARRL--that had proposed a wide range of additional changes
to the amateur rules. The FCC said the various petitions had
attracted 6200 comments from the amateur community, which soon will
have the opportunity to comment again--this time on the FCC's NPRM.

The Commission said it believes dropping the 5 WPM Morse examination
would encourage more people to become Amateur Radio operators and
would eliminate a requirement that's "now unnecessary" and may
discourage current licensees from advancing their skills. It also
said the change would "promote more efficient use" of amateur
spectrum.

To support dropping the code requirement, the FCC cited changes in
Article 25 of the international Radio Regulations adopted at World
Radiocommunication Conference 2003. WRC-03 deleted the Morse testing
requirement for amateur applicants seeking HF privileges and left it
up to individual countries to determine whether or not they want to
mandate Morse testing. Several countries already have dropped their
Morse requirements for HF access.

ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, said he was not surprised to see the
FCC propose scrapping the Morse requirement altogether, although the
League had called for retaining the 5 WPM requirement only for
Amateur Extra class applicants. Sumner expressed dismay, however,
that the FCC turned away proposals from the League and other
petitioners to create a new entry-level Amateur Radio license class.

"We're disappointed that the Commission prefers to deny an
opportunity to give Amateur Radio the restructuring it needs for the
21st century," he said. "It appears that the Commission is taking
the easy road, but the easy road is seldom the right road."

Sumner said ARRL officials and the Board of Directors will closely
study the 30-page NPRM and comment further once they've had an
opportunity to consider the Commission's stated rationales for its
proposals.

In 2004, the League called on the FCC to create a new entry-level
license, reduce the number of actual license classes to three and
drop the Morse code testing requirement for all classes except for
Amateur Extra. Among other recommendations, the League asked the FCC
to automatically upgrade Technician licensees to General and
Advanced licensees to Amateur Extra. In this week's NPRM, the FCC
said it was not persuaded such automatic upgrades were in the public
interest.

The FCC said it did not believe a new entry-level license class was
warranted because current Novice and Tech Plus licensees will easily
be able upgrade to General once the code requirement goes away. The
Commission also said its "Phone Band Expansion" (or "Omnibus") NPRM
in WT Docket 04-140 already addresses some of the other issues
petitioners raised.

A 60-day period for the public to comment on the NPRM in WT 05-235
will begin once the notice appears in the Federal Register. Reply
comments will be due within 75 days.
NNNN
/EX

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
John Holotko

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 03:44:04 AM »

I have to go along with the FCC on this one. Why does the league insist on retaining that completely antiquated obsolete code requirment. ?  it has been superseeded by modern technologies plus, hams can still retain the option to use cw provided the FCC drope the code requirement yet retain cw as a valid mode. Those who chose to use it can use it for nostalgic reasons or whatever.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 07:03:52 AM »

I strongly dislike CW operating personally (I haven't had a CW contact in prob 20 years) but OTOH I strongly support anyone wishing to use that mode.

I think it would have been reasonable to retain the requirement for the Extra class, which is meant to be a sort of master's degree in ham radio.  But the CW requirement has kept some very technically astute people out of ham radio while doing essentially nothing to weed out rif-raff - nor does it contribute markedly to the FCC's testing goal of demonstration of ability to operate a station in comp[liance with the regs.

This issue is like abortion - very strong feelings on both sides, and nobody's gonna get convinced by arguing about it.   Just look at the ongoing flamefests on QRZ.com on this issue.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 10:15:42 AM »

Thank you John. I happen to be one of the thousands of hams who still love operating CW and I appreciate your comments.

Quote from: w3jn
I strongly dislike CW operating personally (I haven't had a CW contact in prob 20 years) but OTOH I strongly support anyone wishing to use that mode.

This issue is like abortion - very strong feelings on both sides, and nobody's gonna get convinced by arguing about it.   Just look at the ongoing flamefests on QRZ.com on this issue.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »

Thank you John. I happen to be one of the thousands of hams who still love operating CW and I appreciate your comments.

Quote from: w3jn

W1GFH
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 10:27:21 AM »

I do agree the CW requirement should be dropped, even though it gives me a queasy feeling to think about it.  

I wonder what the entry point to ham radio will be in the future. The Tech license is a lousy substitute for the Novice experience. Remember, the whole idea of starting Novices out on CW-only was to give them an operating foundation and start them off constructing simple gear (i.e. a cw TX). Course, the days of separate xmtrs and rcvrs are long gone, the majority of hams do not build their gear, and most people's ego will not accept the term "novice" anymore.

I see the FCC rejected the League's proposal for automatic upgrades. I have a friend I badgered into taking the Tech test. By studying the online practice test the night before, he managed to get a passing grade. Although licensed, he has never been on the air. He just doesn't have any interest in ham radio. If there was an automatic upgrade from Tech to General, this guy would now have the same license class as I do, which doesn't seem fair. Not that General is any big deal. But I was serious about ham radio. The "one night of study" guy wasn't. I just would feel, well, a bit "devalued", that's all.

Seems obvious that the CW requirement is a Fundamentalist vs. Progressive issue, and I'm rather surprised to see myself (at least in spirit) on the Fundamentalist side. But ham radio must progress. Not for the equipment maufacturer's sake, not for the League's sake, but because society and technology is changing, and the hobby needs to keep pace and reflect those changes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 11:07:16 AM »

Quote from: W1GFH
Seems obvious that the CW requirement is a Fundamentalist vs. Progressive issue, and I'm rather surprised to see myself (at least in spirit) on the Fundamentalist side.

AM is another Fundamentalist issue.  So is homebrewing/experimentation/modifying vs appliance operating.  So is repairing your own rig vs sending it back to the factory.  I'm sure we could think of others.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 12:05:44 PM »

Yep, looks like we are living the end days of CW.  It's interesting
to think that they trained hoards of guys in WWII to be CW proficient,
but now the skill is being discarded. Even my OM was a signalman in
the Navy - one of those guys who used semaphore flags and the CW
light flasher on ships.

Right now the art is being continued by the corntesters. I would
estimate that at least 75% of all ssb corntesters do the CW corntests
too. It's absolute CW bedlam down there when they are on. Other
times, it's dead silence except for a few OT's, guys getting practice
or QRP contacts it seems.

Well, I look at it as no big deal. Just like the homebrewing skills some
of us have now - they will all fade away. This hobby is all about
enjoying the technology and skills you have right NOW. Whether it
be spark gap, AM or PSK-31, enjoy them while you can... as they
have and will continue to fade away.

I still enjoy CW. Can still do 40-45wpm no problem. I use it as a
necessity for DX contacts on 160 or 6M sometimes. Except for
the superior S/N of the new digital modes, it is still the best way to
get thru when cornditions are marginal.  It's like being able to
speak another language. You can get along without it, but when you
need it, it becomes a valuable skill.. or just plain fun as an option.  
I'll continue to use CW til the end, no matter what the FCC requires
of newcomers. At LEAST we were given the choice to continue to use
it, if we like, unlike spark gap... Cheesy

BTW, I think the FCC showed wisdom in NOT automatically upgrading
the licenses. Gawd, ya gotta have SOMETHING to work for in this
hobby.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:33:51 PM »

Quote from: W1GFH
I do agree the CW requirement should be dropped, even though it gives me a queasy feeling to think about it.  
Seems obvious that the CW requirement is a Fundamentalist vs. Progressive issue, and I'm rather surprised to see myself (at least in spirit) on the Fundamentalist side. But ham radio must progress. Not for the equipment maufacturer's sake, not for the League's sake, but because society and technology is changing, and the hobby needs to keep pace and reflect those changes.

But does it ??It leads to that fundimental question  of, what is the purpose of ham radio ? Is the role of ham radio about nurturing and preparing the technical minds of today and tomorrow to meet the technical challenges of today and tomorrow ?? Or is it simply the recreation and enjoyment  of a hobby ?  Or both maybe ?? CW  in and of itself can be very enjoyable and quite fullfilling despite the fact  that it has almost no relevance in todays technology. Although I can see both sides I tend toward the idea that it should be dropped as a requirement.   There are a lot of very  fascinating technologies that a person can become deeply involved in these days with little more than an inexpensive PC.  I think ham radio needs to offer some new  challenges  if it is going to attract those people to the hobby. Above all there should be room for all technologies and modes, boith past  and present.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »

OK so how about a spelling test instead?
Could include things like use of the words Two To and Too.
Just go over to QRZ and look at posts from guys with extra calls who can't write.
CW was and is just one more excuse for poor spelling and grammar.

Disclaimer:
I am not the world's best speller but at least I try.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
CW was and is just one more
excuse for poor spelling and grammar.

Sa wot? CW ops dont
waist ur time wid hmo
wrds es sa it lik it
is, ca ma.  It kool 2B
on CW. Hot YL's luv u.
Ur 599C.
73, 88, QRT and QTF.

T

W3LSN

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 02:58:10 PM »

I admit to having mixed emotions about the FCC abandoning the CW testing requirement. Although SWLing AMers drew me into this hobby, I'd say that 3/4 of my operation was on CW and I still enjoy copying the mode although I notice it's use appears to be fading even in the amateur service.

CW has a kind of romance to it, and it connects us to the very roots of radio, so I'd hate to see it fade away entirely. Actually I don't expect to see it ever fade away. I think CW will always have a small corps of afficianados who will keep the mode alive, and I'd rather let it live on supported by people who love the mode and who take pains to learn and practice it properly. It doesn't make sense to force CW on prospective hams this day and age. The hobby badly needs new blood, and our ranks are graying and thinning.  Time has moved on. Kids today understand data and computers, and anybody can use a microphone. We don't teach people to write with a quill pen and an inkwell anymore, so I'm sure we can teach our new hobbyists radio without a CW testing requirement.

Like I still love AM, I still love CW. I remember feeling like I had been accepted into a special fraternity when I passed the code tests. I even went on to get my commerical radiotelegraph license because I respected the the mode so much. There is a different mentality amongst CW ops who operate with a bit more formality and tradition. I have always liked this. I agree with an earlier comment that CW competency provides a vital foundation upon which to build further experience. Virtually any rig contains the mode, and it is easy to build a CW transmitter as a first step toward designing and building more complicated projects. Of course we know that most hams don't build anymore, it's become a hobby of appliance operators and tinkerers. For this reason, and the fact that the international regulations for CW competency on HF have been removed, I support the proposal to drop CW testing. This is a hobby and we all have our favorite modes. I'll forever support the use of CW on any band, but it's time to move on.

AR

DE WA2AJM

SK
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 04:18:25 PM »

I have a mixed feelings as well, having done the 20wpm
the old way. I was hard for me, CW didn't come easy.
I like the decongestion from that hobby thinning out
though. I can get on and talk from Az when you guys
aren't battling ssb'ers. so I hope the influx isn't too
much.

however if they do open it up with no CW required, can't we open up the phone bands. like phone down to 3600khz eg

am forever!
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 09:10:16 AM »

I agree this was inevitable. There were always those talented people who stayed out of the hobby because they couldn't or didn't care to learn the code. I came from the flip side of the coin. Having a musical background I had no problem with the code at all, it was the technical side that was the huge challenge for me (I've always been terrible with math, 'nuff said!). I don't think the mode will ever die out as there will be people who will find it necessary to know it for what they want to do in the hobby (i.e. EME, 6 meter weak signal, historical retention of a "lost art", etc.).  I operate CW about a tenth of the time I used to years ago, but I do so now as a change of pace from SSB and AM, and because I do still enjoy it. I do agree that there is a certain amount of "romance" attached to the mode for me. There's something about firing up my replica 1929 TNT CW transmitter that I built a few years back (my first homebrew transmitter, thank you very much!), listening to it's very distinctive signal, looking at it's VERY basic elements of construction and still getting a thrill by the fact that I built it and the damn thing actually works! I hope I never lose that feeling. Also, now that I passed my Extra class a few years ago, I can finally use that bottom 25 kHz section that always had the aura for me of the exclusive "inner sanctum" frequencies. I've never looked down on those who wish to operate phone only or CW only, or digital only for that matter. To each his own I say, because let's face it folks ham radio is a BIG hobby, and the sheer variety of things you can do in it is one of the attractions that got me into the hobby in the first place. I for one am actually relieved that CW will be removed from it's former unrealistic position as a "right of passage" in ham radio and finally put into it's proper context, as a very fun mode that's available for those who wish to use it!
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 10:39:24 AM »

I've never had much love for cw, but it was a real feeling of accomplishment when I got my 5 wpm Novice License.  It was another real feeling of accomplishment when I got my 13 wpm General, not quite so much when I got my Advanced (with no extra code requirement beyond the General), and again a real feeling of accomplishment when I got my 20 wpm Extra.  Maybe it's just an ego thing.  But then again, priests must still learn Latin, Greek and Hebrew.  And lawyers must learn all aspects of the law when the pass the Bar exams, and physicians (even psychiatrists) must know anatomy and physiology.  One could argue that these requirements are like buggy whips on a car, but nobody is proposing to get rid of them.

I had to learn about sattelites for my Extra, and have no intention of using sattelites.  That's my choice, just like cw.  It's merely a different aspect of the hobby, not necessarily one of old versus new.  Does old equal obsolete?  AM, vacuum tubes, and wire antennas are old.  And so are many of us.  One could draw some frightening conclusions from these observations!

One might say that Ham radio without cw is like a fish without a bicycle.  But then again, the Feminists say that a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.  How many of us here are Feminists???

Just a few personal thoughts.

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 12:15:06 PM »

HTF are you going to operate your spark rig if you don't know CW?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015