The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:45:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are they now?  (Read 8540 times)
W1UJR
« on: July 21, 2005, 05:54:51 PM »

Some thoughts....

I have not heard Irb W2VJZ on lately, anyone chat with him in the last few days?

Or my friend from Pittsburgh, very much a gentleman and elder ham.
I recall his name is Richard W3NCC. Used to be on very late night 75 AM, always enjoyed listening to and chatting with him when I lived in Buffalo.
A most interesting and kindly old buzzard. Born in 1917.

The early moring 160 meter 1888 KC crew?
They faded away when Dick W2UJR became a Silent Key in 1998, anyone still on 1888 before sunrise?

Or Bob W2PFF "Peter, Fox, Fox", have not heard him on 160, wonder he is still active. Another wonderful old timer.

Jim W8AC in Chardon, OH, another early 160 meter regular, and gentleman.

Miss hearing these old timers, they always enriched the QSO.

GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:31:27 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR
Some thoughts....

I have not heard Irb W2VJZ on lately, anyone chat with him in the last few days?

I recall his name is Richard W3NCC. Used to be on very late night 75 AM, always enjoyed listening to and chatting with him when I lived in Buffalo.

The early moring 160 meter 1888 KC crew?
They faded away when Dick W2UJR became a Silent Key in 1998, anyone still on 1888 before sunrise?

Or Bob W2PFF "Peter, Fox, Fox", have not heard him on 160, wonder he is still active. Another wonderful old timer.

Jim W8AC in Chardon, OH, another early 160 meter regular, and gentleman.

Miss hearing these old timers, they always enriched the QSO.

Bruce,  Years ago I used to get on with Dick/UJR, Jim/N8ULN,  Eddy/VE3CUI, and a few others  on 160 in the early mornings. It was a fun group. But as you mentioned the group seemed to break up after Dick died.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:41:47 PM »

Irb was splattering as best as he could calling CQ next to a QSO just today.
Richard sold his gear. I heard he was moving. Maybe into assisted living.
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 09:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
Irb was splattering as best as he could calling CQ next to a QSO just today.
Richard sold his gear. I heard he was moving. Maybe into assisted living.

Gee, sorry to hear that Dave, it was always a pleasure talking with him.
Just a fine fellow.
I may have to get off a letter before his address changes.
Looks like he just renewed his licence.

73 Bruce
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »

I believe someone else here will have more info for us also.
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 01:08:07 PM »

Eddy, VE3CUI is still very  active.  I read his frequent posts on Glowbugs and Old Tube Radios reflectors, and hear him occasionally on the Canadian Boatanchor Net (3725 Kc) and elsewhere.
W3LSN

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 03:07:33 PM »

Speaking of people we haven't heard lately... I have not been active on AM for about 25-years, but I fondly remember 10-meter AM QSO's with Howie Jack W2NRM, the founder of the AM/Press Exchange who lived not far from me in NNJ. I know Howie passed on years ago after his retirement somewhere to the southlands. Another one of our late, departed bretheren whom I considered a kind of mentor was Joe W2WAS who kindly gave me parts and provided advice. Then there was Byron W2JTP who has also passed on to that that great hamfest in the sky who gave me much encouragement in getting active in AM.

Considering that most of my AM memories are mid-1970's related, and many folks have since adopted vanity callsigns, I wonder if anyone has ever set up a cross-reference directory of AMers old/new callsigns? There are many more people I remember, but haven't heard on the air since I returned to the hobby in listening mode, but I'm sure some are still out there under new calls.

Jim WA2AJM
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 02:12:53 PM »

Bruce,

Interesting list.  The first one, of course, is most always around, calling for the execution for treason of the five Supreme Court Justices who voted for eminent domain.  The execution is to be carried out with malice toward none and with charity toward all.  He is also always on the lookout for that little voice in the wilderness, and calling upon God to bless Glenn Baxter.  For a while he supplies interesting listening and entertainment, but then, after a while, it all becomes very monotonous.  His daily announcement of consuming his morning oatmeal just no longer excites me.

With regard to Bob Durfee (W2PFF), I really don't know what's going on with him.  I think that when he's on, he's exclusively on 160, or maybe one of the high bands.  Actually the last few times I talked with him, either on the telephone or on the air, he was so forgetful that it was difficult to carry on a sensible conversation.  That's several years now.  I see he's still on QRZ.com, and that his ticket expires in March 2006.  I suppose I should call over there, but I'll guarantee you he would have no idea who I am.  That's very sad.  He knows he's forgetful too.  He says, "I just can't remember much of anything."  One hates to see our friends get to that point. :cry:

Well anyhow, Bruce, that's what I know.  It's not much, but I do know that I don't know much.

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 06:39:08 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR
Some thoughts....

I wish I some news for you about Richard but no luck. I live about 2 miles from the area where he is listed for on QRZ and can't find him. The house number listed doesn't seem to exist. Nobody in the immediate area can help me.
I checked the obituary archive and luckily he didn't show there.

If someone has his old QSL card it might show a different address than the one listed.

I'll update if I get some news.

Bob
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 07:49:36 PM »

Well, it didn't take long afterall. Richard is well.

It dawned on me that there is a Senior living center near by. I gave a call and they directed me to him. He lives on a street that isn't the same name as the one given on QRZ, but comes under the street address of the center, thus the confusion. Richard lives in the townhouse section of the complex.
He has to go "stealth" with an attic antenna and low power due to the restrictions there. He hasn't been on for a few months and when he was he used CW.
I have been invited to go and meet him and should in the next few weeks.

Actually, I did hear Richard a few years ago on 75. When you first mentioned the name Richard, I flashed back to a guy that had a recording studio in his basement but in a house about 4 miles further away. Turns out that this is the same fellow afterall. Richard moved from that house after the death of his wife a few years ago.

He was glad to hear that he had been thought of.

Bob
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 09:58:28 PM »

Bob,

When you visit Richard, please pass my best regards to him.

We used to QSO late nights along with WA3PUN and several
others on 75 and I miss our chats, etc...

Ralph, W3GL

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 10:19:42 PM »

OK Ralph, I'll pass that on. I think that he intends on getting back to  phone emission after he relocates his station within the dwelling and gets his homebrew rig where he wants it.

By the way, if I remember right you were at my qth to pick up an SP-200........maybe about a year or so ago??

Hope it worked out for you especially after the marathon driving session.

Bob
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 01:53:19 PM »

Hello again, Bob...

Sorry for the late response, haven't checked in here for a couple days.

Yes, that was me...March, 3 years ago and it was an SP-400X!

Sorry, I didnot recognize the new (AB3L) call.  You still register as N3CZS in my old grey matter.

I remember your driveway! I sure would not want to traverse it in a 3500 lb auto after one of those PA ice storms!  (Not enough stopping room and over the edge to the bottem of that hillside).  

Anyhow, yep, I do remember and the trip was only a total of 7 hours as I recall and really, I didn't have anything else to do that day...

Take care and perhaps see you on 75 AM, if you can get enough wire in the air out there on that hill side.

Ralph, W3GL

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 02:20:40 PM »

Hey Ralph, what's for dinner?
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 09:42:29 PM »

Whatever's in the freezer...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015