The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:54:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pipe Smoking Hams  (Read 8837 times)
John Holotko

« on: July 18, 2005, 01:02:38 PM »

Just curious.  Although I don't smoke or use tobacco in any form anymore years ago I was a tobacco chewer and also a tobacco pipe smoker. I make the distinguismnet as there are other types of pipes that people do smoke, tobacco or non-tobacco.  I used to primarilly enjoy a good tobacco pipe when i was on the air. One of my favorite activities was to fire up on the air, join a good conversation and smoke a good pipe.

Which leads me to the question. Are there any other pipe smoking hams out there. Out of all the American hams I wonder what percentage are pipe smokers. I would like to do a survey of pipe smoking hams. Call it smoked ham.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:06:36 PM »

I'm not touching this one.  :lol:

Go Duke![/b]
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 02:20:03 PM »

I am told, this can also be used for tobacco...

(Sorry John, I wanted to beat Tom Vu to the punch  :lol:  :lol: )

Quote from: John Holotko
Which leads me to the question. Are there any other pipe smoking hams out there. Out of all the American hams I wonder what percentage are pipe smokers. I would like to do a survey of pipe smoking hams. Call it smoked ham.

W6FO
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 06:49:35 PM »

As long as there are no "cigar" smokers among us, I don't care what Tom Vu smokes.

- JT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 10:49:15 PM »

http://www.bongsandpipes.willybanjo.com/product_pg35.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1GFH
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:10:25 PM »

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:08:17 AM »

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 09:45:16 AM »

I don't smoke a pipe, but had a visiting Ham a few weeks ago fire up his bowl of "Captain Jack" in my basement shack when he was visiting. I really enjoyed the aromatic mixture and realized it was the first time anyone fired up a pipe anywhere in my house.

The xyl didn't like it but I thought it was kind of kewl.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:25:54 AM »

Now where is my yen tsiang ??

John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 10:34:24 AM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
I don't smoke a pipe, but had a visiting Ham a few weeks ago fire up his bowl of "Captain Jack" in my basement shack when he was visiting. I really enjoyed the aromatic mixture and realized it was the first time anyone fired up a pipe anywhere in my house.

The xyl didn't like it but I thought it was kind of kewl.

Hi Joe,

One of the things about tobacco pipes that caught my attention at a young age was the sweet aromatic scent of the tobacco.  Unlike cigarettes pipes seemed to have a unique quality,  the different types, shapes and that charachteristic aroma of quality  tobacco.

When i did smoke tobacco pipes I also smoked "Captain Black". Out of all the off the shalf pre-blended tobaccos it seemed to have a very pleasing sweet aroma and it's taste was quite mild. Over the years I have tried various custom blends of cavendsh and latakia tobaccos. One of the most pleasant tasting tobaccos I smoked was a blend consiting of near pure latakia. However many peole don;t like the aroma of latakia as it tends to have a rather sharp pungent odor that many find objectionable,

I also chewed tobacco Red Man, Wrigleys, Beech Nut etc. About ten years ago I qui all forms of tobacco permanently. I was too worried about the potential health problems soi I decided to end my chewing, smoking endeavors once and for all.

BTW, I wonder if anyone out here knows the name of the type of pipe that Sherlock Holmes made famous ??

John

Joe-N2YR
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 02:42:45 PM »

I believe it was a  MERSHAM PIPE. This was the favorite of a SK friend and ham, Al, N2SHG. His last night on the air there was a large group of the "Gangsters" on the air and "Sherlock" (Al) Had the pipe stoked up and was telling everyone he was packing everything up for a move to "Allbaloney" (Albany) and would be off the air for awhile......... Sad
John Holotko

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 04:54:54 PM »

Quote from: Joe-N2YR
I believe it was a  MERSHAM PIPE. This was the favorite of a SK friend and ham, Al, N2SHG. His last night on the air there was a large group of the "Gangsters" on the air and "Sherlock" (Al) Had the pipe stoked up and was telling everyone he was packing everything up for a move to "Allbaloney" (Albany) and would be off the air for awhile......... Sad

Actually you're partially right.   The style is called a Calabash pipe. They were originally made out of hollowed out gourds. The inner bowl is usually made from Meershaum, porcelin or clay.   BTW that call N2SHG sounds very familiar.  Sorry to hear of his passing.

ize

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 11:31:39 PM »

if I could smoke a pipe, and esp some of the tobacco's
I used to like, w/o becoming a chain smoker, I would!
Loved Cherry, cap blk etc. dumped a 3-4 pack a day
habit 20yrs ago. Glad to have that monkey off my
back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

am forever!
John Holotko

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 09:54:10 AM »

Quote from: wa1knx
if I could smoke a pipe, and esp some of the tobacco's
I used to like, w/o becoming a chain smoker, I would!
Loved Cherry, cap blk etc. dumped a 3-4 pack a day
habit 20yrs ago. Glad to have that monkey off my
back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's great that you kickied the habit. The last thing you want is to go back. I kicked pipes, chewing tobacco about ten or more years ago and I have no plans to go back.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 12:09:17 PM »

Well, it's great that you kickied the habit. The last thing you want is to go back. I kicked pipes, chewing tobacco about ten or more years ago and I have no plans to go back.

Don't you still get edgy John?  My dad quit about 30 years ago and still enjoys smelling the stuff.
John Holotko

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 03:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Jim, W5JO

Don't you still get edgy John?  My dad quit about 30 years ago and still enjoys smelling the stuff.

Oh yes, I'd be lying if I said I don't get edgy now and then.  Much ike a junkie might swoon over a syringe full of dope, so do I swoon over a nice rich aromatic tobacco. I love the aroma of a good pipe. And I love the smell of quality blended tobacco. And yes, I do get the urge to smoke it sometimes.  But I quit because of the fear of health problems. I started reading about baseball players, and even kids, and others who have chewed  tobacco and developed life threatening tumors and cancers.  Every time I got a sore in my mouth I started thinking, "maybe this is it", "maybe I finally did myself in". I got so fed up with it one day I threw whatever tobacco I had left down the toilet, flushed it and I haven't smoked or chewed since.  I hope I never go back to it. I wish others who want to quit all the strength in the world and the best of luck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015