The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:46:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palomar Model 500 SWR Meter Usage  (Read 7897 times)
W6FO
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:00:19 AM »

Has anyone ever used a Palomar 500 SWR/Watt meter?  Mine did not come with a manual and I'm curious to know how to properly calibrate the SWR meter.  It has a SWR Set knob but doesn't have a "reference" switch like I'm used to on other meters, just FWD and REV.

It also has an AM monitor jack, can someone explain this feature to me.

Thanks

JT - W6FO
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

I've never used one of them before.  But I did find the schematic on BAMA:

http://ftp://bama.edebris.com/bama/palomar/500/500.pdf

It appears to me that it works like other bridges.  Put the one switch in the SWR position, put the other in the FWD position and turn the cal/SWR set/whatever it's called knob for full scale.  Then switch to REV and that should be your SWR.

The AM monitor appears to just be a little diode detector.  If you plug a set of cans in there, you should be able to hear your own AM audio.  It won't work for SSB or FM.

I hope I've helped and not sent you too far off.
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:05:43 AM »

a favorite wattmeter of the CB gang. don't be surprised if you get wildy optomistic readings from it. i have seen and tinkered with a few of them, and when calibrated against a decent standard (bird, drake, heath) makes a fine hammy meter. some of the other models have nice features like "SSB modulation" etc that you can use just to watch the meter dance. see your 100 watt dead key swing to 2000 and modulate to 300% sideband swing... many a mighty two pill thrill has swung to 500 with one! in reality it's a nice cheap way to get a pretty good meter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015