The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:08:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is SX88 worth?  (Read 3149 times)
N9NEO

« on: July 08, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »

I see Hallicrafters SX-88 on Ebay going for big money - >$3k.  What makes that model so rare and valuable?

Bob

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:38:06 AM »

It's rare because they didn't make too many - about 500 IIRC.  It's valuable because it's rare, and it's one of the highest-end receivers Hallicrafters made.  It also looks "right" - as a serious receiver should.

I have one, and while a nice receiver, it's not worth $3K as a receiver IMHO.  This opinion was shared by many who took mine for a test spin at the AM 'fester station at Howard County hamfest a couple of years ago.

I'll probably bring this receiver to Gaithersburg this year if you wanna try it out.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N9NEO

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »

Hey Jn,

Nope, not really interested.  I blew a wad yesterday on a Drake R8B.  A good friend of mine has a SX-88 but I'm not sure he knows the value so I sent him ebay link.

Good luck to sell yours.  Maybe Ebay is the place.

Bob

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 12:36:50 PM »

With an SX 88 I don't think it matters where you sell.  Owners will overprice them anywhere they appear.  But a really nice, working example brings out the big wallets on Escam.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 03:47:35 PM »

Quote from: w3jn
It's rare because they didn't make too many - about 500 IIRC.  It's valuable because it's rare, and it's one of the highest-end receivers Hallicrafters made.  It also looks "right" - as a serious receiver should.

I have one, and while a nice receiver, it's not worth $3K as a receiver IMHO.  This opinion was shared by many who took mine for a test spin at the AM 'fester station at Howard County hamfest a couple of years ago.

I'll probably bring this receiver to Gaithersburg this year if you wanna try it out.

73 John

Johnnie,
           I really enjoyed taking your SX-88 out for a "roadtest" at Howard County, and hope to play with it again at Gaithersburg, later this year.

It's a substantial, handsome, "manly" receiver that has "sparkling" audio, as a mutual acquaitance would say!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015