The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:18:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe Scout deluxe is almost ready to go on the air.  (Read 6084 times)
W8AMD
« on: July 01, 2005, 05:35:31 AM »

Well the old girl seems to be working now.  Getting about 40 watts carrier out of it and modulation sounds reasonable on a nearby receiver when I transmit into a dummy load.  Dug my oscope out of storage but there is a problem with the probe so I can't get a look at the signal.  Need to fix or replace.

Just waiting the crystals I ordered from AF4K to arrive.  The ones I checked it out with are 40 and 75 meter but not AM frequencys.  Haven't got a t/r relay yet but till I come up with one I can use a manual antenna switch.

It's a great feeling getting an old piece of gear functional again.

Larry
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »

Quote from: K3MSB

Absolutely!  Especially those"Novice" type radios, for lack of a better term!!

Have fun!

I'm glad to see someone else use that term for those oldies.

Before the CB boomers starting coming into ham radio already owning FT101s, it was rare to hear a Novice using a "modern" SSB rig.  One stood up and took notice if the other Novice said "rig hr is a SB/HW/Collins, etc."  We Novices used junk.  It was a rite of passage, one I'm thankful I experienced.  

I used an open DPDT relay when I finally got a relay. Prior to that of course was the standard knife switch.  I remember the momentous occassion when my brother gave me a good Potter and Brumfield relay enclosed in plastic and with a socket.  Oh what a glorious day that was!  I swear the old Scout worked a whole lot better after that!!
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:03:03 AM »

Good luck with the "Deluxe" Larry. I have'nt seen one of those transmitters in a long old buzzard time. Never owned one though. My first transmitter was an Eico 720 without modulator, bought from good old Corky at Hatry's in Hartford. I eventually built a P-P 6L6 modulator for it. I do have a nice Globe Scout 65 sitting on the shelf waiting to be powered up. I does work ok-fine. What does the "Deluxe" use for modulator tubes?
....Happy 4th!.............Larry
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 11:59:45 PM »

Quote from: W8AMD

It's a great feeling getting an old piece of gear functional again.

Larry

Larry,
        A trememdously good feeling indeed! You feel as if you ressurected something that was unwanted from the dead; and saved it from a landfill.

Funny thing. I've always appreciated things that I had to put some work into and get going again, then something that was "plug-n-play". I guess it's a feeling of accomplishment.

I have Scouts 40A and 680, and just love 'em to death! What receiver do you plan to use with your Scout?

I'm looking forward to working you (probably 40M) when you get on the air.

Best Regards and the best of luck with your transmitter from "Uncle Leo Myerson"!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W8AMD
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 03:56:13 AM »

Quote from: WA1LGQ
What does the "Deluxe" use for modulator tubes?

The Deluxe uses a single 7027A as a modulator.

Well at first I'll be using an old Heathkit Hr-10 I built back in the late 60's as a budding electronics hobbiest and SWL of 13 years old.  I had been a shortwave listener for a couple of years.  That's how I ran into amateur radio.  I had planned on getting my novice ticket back then but kept putting it off.  Strange I never did get my license till a couple of years ago even though I worked in electronics repair off and on for most of my life.

I'll probably run the audio from the detector of the HR-10 to an old solid state Marantz stereo amp I have.  I do want to get a better receiver when I come across one at a good price.  Money is very tight with me at this time and the receiver does have sentimental value to me so it will do for now.  I'd say more than a few novices had the setup of some sort of Scout and an HR-10.

I do occasionally run AM now with my Icom 718.  It puts out 40 watts of carrier.  Not bad for a 100 watt solid state ssb rice box.  Sometimes I run it through a Yaesu FL-2100 amp which is a pair of 572Bs paralleled.  I'm sure the amp will get some use with the Scout also.

Eventually I want to get something like a DX-100 or Viking Valiant and build a home-brew plate modulated rig putting out 200-250 watts carrier.  

Larry
W8AMD
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 05:55:29 AM »

A lot of nights I can be found on 7.290 after VOA shuts down on that frequency.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015