The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:03:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A strange occurrence last night on cable  (Read 6057 times)
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« on: June 29, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »

For a moment I thought the Little Voice in the Wilderness
somehow made its way all the way from Liberty Corners
into the Binghamton, NY area cable system.  Turns out it was
only a power loss... or so "they" say.

Power loss cuts into TV, radio programs
Some hear audio from radio show
BY SCOTT ROCKEFELLER
Press & Sun-Bulletin

The male voice talking on cable about Supreme Court rulings, the 10 Commandments and Thomas Jefferson on Monday night was the result of a power failure and not a hacker, cable officials said.

Shortly after 9 p.m., a weekly test message came across every Binghamton-area Time Warner Cable channel, said Dave Whalen, vice president of marketing. However, due to a power supply failure at Citadel Communications, the message lasted several minutes and featured the audio from a WNBF radio program.

"A tone opens up the message and another shuts it off, but it did not close, so last night it lasted about three minutes where it's usually 15 to 20 seconds," Whalen said. "We had a couple of calls from people who assumed it was some sort of right-wing conspiracy and I can assure you that's not the case."

Whalen said because it was a required weekly Citadel test, there was nothing the cable station could do to stop the feed. Whalen said that type of error had never occurred before.

Mary Beth Walsh, Citadel Communications' market manager, and Whalen were unsure of the exact time that the interruption occurred. Walsh said WNBF airs Rusty Humphries' show until 9 p.m., switches to ABC news and then starts Michael Savage's show shortly after.

The failure also interrupted regularly scheduled radio programming, with Citadel's 98.1 The Hawk overtaking several stations for about three minutes.

Walsh said a new power supply unit had been ordered and would be replaced shortly.

"There was no hacker," she said.

Some of the programs that were interrupted included the New York Yankees' late-game comeback effort against the Baltimore Orioles, FOX's new reality show Hell's Kitchen and a showing of the 1997 Harrison Ford movie Air Force One.

And just in case you decided to read a book after the interruption, here's what happened: the Yankees won 6-4, Chris was booted from the kitchen and the bad guys lost.

Go Duke![/b]
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »

Quote from: Paul, K2ORC
Some of the programs that were interrupted included the New York Yankees' late-game comeback effort against the Baltimore Orioles, FOX's new reality show Hell's Kitchen and a showing of the 1997 Harrison Ford movie Air Force One.

I don't understand why these Emergency Tests always manage to interrupt at the worst possible time.  You'd think they would at least wait until the start of the Preparation H commercial and do it THEN!   :evil:
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »

Any wind chimes heard?

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 06:50:17 PM »

Quote from: Paul, K2ORC
For a moment I thought the Little Voice in the Wilderness
somehow made its way all the way from Liberty Corners
into the Binghamton, NY area cable system.  Turns out it was
only a power loss... or so "they" say.

That's quite a message!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »

I couldn't decide whether to kick Time Warner in the g__dam b*lls or try them for treason.

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 08:43:32 PM »

Are you on narcotics?
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 07:03:42 AM »

Yes, try them for TREASON! along with everybody else!

Why don't these GD cable outfits run this f***ing tests at 3AM instead of during prime time?!?!? About as valuable as the old Conelrad bullbork.

Oh yes, don't forget to retune your R-390A's to 640 and 1240 on your AM dial, as you sit in your concrete bunker swallowing prozacs.....

And remember - when you hear the sound of the chimes, you know that THE PARACLETE OF CABORCA, in his flowing white robes, is LISTENING! -K-

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 08:01:38 AM »

Quote from: W1UX
Yes, try them for TREASON! along with everybody else!

Why don't these GD cable outfits run this f***ing tests at 3AM instead of during prime time?!?!? About as valuable as the old Conelrad bullbork.

Oh yes, don't forget to retune your R-390A's to 640 and 1240 on your AM dial, as you sit in your concrete bunker swallowing prozacs.....

And remember - when you hear the sound of the chimes, you know that THE PARACLETE OF CABORCA, in his flowing white robes, is LISTENING! -K-

Nuts!  I thought after I wrapped my head in aluminum foil that I was finally rid of the old Paraclete.  Only one thing left to do now: start drinking heavily.

Go Duke![/b]
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 11:37:22 AM »

Head for Nevada for that HEAVY water to drink Rancid.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 04:19:43 PM »

Listening for that voice in the wilderness....... on cable
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015