The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:16:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7027A-6L6 conversion?  (Read 3691 times)
W8AMD
« on: June 26, 2005, 08:27:19 AM »

The Globe Scout Deluxe I am getting back on the air uses a 7027A as a modulator.  After searching for this tube I have come to the conclusion they are a commodity that brings a good price.  Also ran into references to using a 6L6 to replace it with some re-wiring of the socket.  Anybody have experience doing this switch?  

Being a tube guitar amp person I have a few 6L6 tubes laying around.  Seems like a mod that would allow me to use a cheaper tube but still be easily redone to original configuration.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 09:09:01 AM »

Antique Electronics has them new. I'm not going to profess how great they are since I've never bought tubes from them but there are others on the board that have and didn't have any problems with them. The new J&J's around $18.95. Here's the link: http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
wavebourn
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 02:21:21 PM »

Quote from: W8AMD
The Globe Scout Deluxe I am getting back on the air uses a 7027A as a modulator.  After searching for this tube I have come to the conclusion they are a commodity that brings a good price.  Also ran into references to using a 6L6 to replace it with some re-wiring of the socket.  Anybody have experience doing this switch?  

Being a tube guitar amp person I have a few 6L6 tubes laying around.  Seems like a mod that would allow me to use a cheaper tube but still be easily redone to original configuration.

Lawrence,
as a tube guitar amp peason I would say you that usually conversion from 7027A to KT66, EL34 or 6L6GC don't need rewiring of a socket, but I'd look carefully to check if wires are soldered to "additional" pins, but are not soldered to "original" pins, and interconnect them if they aren't

Also, metal 6L6 has a "ground" connection on the 1'st pin and can't be used without rewiring, but you won't use it because it is weaker.

Original: 4, additional:1
Original: 5, additional: 6
W8AMD
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:33:03 AM »

I just checked the rig and it has no conections on pin 1 or 6 so I should be able to plug a 6L6 in without any modifications.  That's good to know.  I may buy a 7027A just to keep it original.  $18.95 is not bad at all.  By far the cheapest price I have seen.  Some are asking more than that for used.

Thanks for your input.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015