The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:15:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XE1YZY Eyeball with Pics  (Read 4885 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: June 25, 2005, 07:12:12 PM »

Had a real FB eyeball with Pedro last Monday in Mexico City. Very nice shack which is not to clear in the pic below from my cell phone (I forgot the good camera). He has several Valliants,  a Viking II, a 51-J3 some new Collins stuff and over his right shoulder you can see a homebrew regen he just built up.

By the time we went to his storage area in another building I had discovered that the tiny lenses in the camera were full of crud so I was able to clean them and get a good shot of him standing next to a BC-610 that he is doing a beautiful frame off job of restoring.

He also is working on an older Collins 32-G with the scope and some interesting tubes with the plate located outside the glass to avoid some patent issues. He also showed me a HRO-60 he is restoring. He has cleaned the chassis so it and the tuning caps look like they just came out fo the factory. He has also had the cabinet custom painted so it looks brand new. It will be a real 10 when it is done.

We spent about 4 hours chatting and having beers and dinner at a local restaurant. He is indeed a real gentleman and says he will make it up to Hosstraders one of these days.

Wish more non- US folks would join in the board. In my opinion it adds a whole other dimension to the discussions.

Carl
WA1KPD
Visit My Boatanchor Collection at
http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/wa1kpd.html

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 10:06:56 PM »

Thanks for posting those pictures. I agree about having more international people on here.
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:05:29 AM »

Really good to see that Carl! Neat visit and glad you could do it and post the pics here.

I know there's good AM activity in Yurp too, hope we can see more of them as well!

Tnx OM 73 hi hi
Al

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:16:20 PM »

Pedro's a hell of a nice guy and superbly talented to boot.  He posted some pics a while back of a Frankenstinian Valiant he picked up that had about 5 meters scattered around the front panel, and it looked like it sat in water for a while.  He restored the thing to almost like new in a weekend (using a different front panel).  Absolutely first class.  We're fortunate to have him here on the board.

Look forward to an eyeball with him at Hosstraders sometime.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ve6pg

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 10:04:29 PM »

VERY NICE TO SEE HIS STUFF...IS HE VERY ACTIVE? MEXICO CITY IS A FUR PIECE,UNLESS HE IS ON 14286,OR WHEN 15/10 OPEN AGAIN...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
xe1yzy

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 11:53:13 PM »

Hi Carl,

Thanks a lot for the dinner, good chat and beers!  Cheesy . I really enjoy your visit, hope we have more time in your next trip!, also thanks for this post.

This forum was my inspiration to go in to AM- Botanchors hobby, and of course an unvaluable source of knowledge and help, thanks a lot guys, and a special thanks to Johny W3JN, my Elmer!

Last weeks I has been very busy due to my move to a new city,and new bussines, thats why I cant come as often as I wants here,

I really wish can make it in the next  hosstraders!.

Best regards Carl!

TVI WHAT TVI?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015