The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:15:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lettering  (Read 3342 times)
wavebourn
« on: June 24, 2005, 03:22:49 PM »

How do you put perfect looking lettering on painted faceplates?
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 06:30:42 PM »

I have used dry-transfer letters (available from art and hobby supply stores) in the past with success. Done carefully, and followed with a clearcoat, it looks very presentable. Good for smooth finishes, I never had any success with crinkle finishes.

I picked some "ham" dry transfers up at a hamfest years ago, the advantage is that you don't have to align each letter one by one. The ham dry transfers are in words like ON, OFF, VOLUME, FREQUENCY, etc. May still be available, I don't know....

Whenever I purchase a candidate for restoration, I try to make sure that the lettering is engraved, or if not, that it is very presentable. Engraved lettering on panel are a breeze to restore, silkscreened panels are best re-silkscreened, some offer this service for popular rigs. Good luck, Tolly...
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:14:28 PM »

Tolly, various rub-on lettering sets for electronics can be found at
www.tubesandmore.com

I forget which section... restoration?  Front panels?  Dunno.  It's there, I saw it a few days ago.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wavebourn
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 08:45:25 PM »

Thanks!
Ordered from tubesandmore, waiting now...
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 07:55:17 AM »

For homebrew stuff I use a label maker from "Brother".  It prints on plastic self-stick tape that comes in various color combos (black on white, black on clear, blue, red, etc.).

The tape seems to be quite durable but I've only been using it for 6 months or so.  There are various printers, from $30 and up.  The tape is $20ish per cartridge of 27' (lots of labels).

Lets see if I can insert a pix:

73, Bill  N2BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015