The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:00:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who wanted the 5R4s?  (Read 7203 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« on: June 22, 2005, 12:20:39 PM »

A new member posted here late last week needing some 5R4s which I have finally dug up.  Unfortunately during the database backup all of his posts plus the PMs we sent back and forth are gone, and I don't remember his call... W8Asomething.

If the gentleman concerned, or someone else remembers who that was would PM me I can get these tubes onward to where they can do some good towards getting someone on the air.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:44:28 PM »

W8AMD?
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:12:24 PM »

John,

Are those "Sonically Clear" 5R4's?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »

As sonically clear as any you'll find, Tom  :lol:

Could be W8AMD but I'm not sure... rats, I'll have to wait until he posts here again wondering where his toobs are.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W8AMD
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 03:29:27 PM »

Yup it was me.  I'll pm you my address again to be sure but my addy on qrz should be right.  

I have some rectifier diodes just stuck in the 5r4 socket right now checking out the Globe Scout Deluxe.  It was also missing a plate coupling cap which I replaced and had it tuning and loading last night.  Still has modulation problems like lack of but I'm sure I'll get it worked out.

Feels good to be tinkering again after a long hiatus.

Thanks again.  It is appreciated.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 08:24:20 PM »

Not a problem.  I'll send ;em out tomorrow.  THere's a pair, tested on a Hickok but you never know what they're gonna do with HV.

73 John

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:37:48 AM »

Quote from: Tom WA3KLR
John,

Are those "Sonically Clear" 5R4's?

I want to know if they're "cyrogenically" treated 5R4's for superior "tessitura"!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W8AMD
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 01:40:34 AM »

Got the tubes today.  I now have the transmitter basically working.  The Modulation is weak so I have to go through the audio/modulator stages.

Now that I have a Sonically Clear 5r4 I'll just rewire with that fancy audio quality oxygen free copper wire.  That should do the trick.

I thank you sir.  You are a gentleman and a scholar.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 12:01:48 PM »

THat's the AMers way.  I can't begin to count the help I've gotten in terms of parts, etc from fellow AMers.  The tubes are much better off putting an xmitter on the air than sitting in my attic.

73 John

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »

Quote from: w3jn
The tubes are much better off putting an xmitter on the air than sitting in my attic.

73 John

Johnnie,
           U DA MAN!
                          Joe -IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
wavebourn
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »

Quote from: Vortex Joe - N3IBX
Quote from: w3jn
The tubes are much better off putting an xmitter on the air than sitting in my attic.

73 John

Johnnie,
           U DA MAN!
                          Joe -IBX

I second that!  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015