The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring the silver/black Hallicrafters cabinets  (Read 17198 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« on: June 12, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »

These are relatively easy to "spraypaint restore".  Separate the silver lid and black bottom portion, the piano hinghe in the back is held in place with about 6 screws.  Sand down all scratches, and  finish with 800 grit wet paper, clean with a tack rag.  GIve a couple light coats of primer, sanding lightly with 800 wet paper.  Clean again witha  tack rag.

For the bottom, use matte black spray.  Several light coats are better than one thick coat.

For the top, use pewter metallic Duplicolor auto paint.  It's a *bit* brighter than the Hallicrafters stock paint, but it's the closest I've found.

Note that some Hallicrafters radios - notably the SX-100, SX-96, HT-30, SX-99,etc., do NOT use silver/black cabiniets - rather, they're a light gray semi-metallic top and a dark grey metallic bottom.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
iw5ci
I love old radios

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »

I have done exactly the same on mi Halli rigs.
For the chassis i used matte black and for top cover i have found a very close match (you cannot find any difference from original).

and this is the result:

KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »

VERY NICE!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015