The AM Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:38:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fair Radio and Dayton Hamfest Photos May 2024  (Read 1443 times)
K4NYW
Contributing

« on: May 19, 2024, 02:20:46 PM »

Fair Radio and Dayton Hamfest Photos May 2024
Lots of interesting stuff and lots of friends - a good time was had by all!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PwJboPACPnHKgpgVA

Cheers,
Nick K4NYW

KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 05:02:43 PM »

Thanks—excellent pictures. I see many items that probably would have followed me home, for better or worse.
#4828 and #4829: Nice old homebrew, with turns-counting knobs for the roller inductor and vac-variable tune cap.
#5040: Nice looking 6n2 Thunderbolt.
#5117: 2x813 RF deck—looks like it was inspired by the East Coast Handbook's "Single Band Kilowatt" design.
#5127: Nice Zeus! (in the background) But was the price really $600? Whew!
#5172 and #5173: Homebrew 1x3-500(?) amp. Nice looking build.
#5253, #5254, #5255: Very interesting 6m TX and amp! Homebrew? No name visible.
#4708: Gates rollers!
#4721: Bread slicers and rollers!
#4755 and #4756: DX60 heaven! All three iterations represented.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 06:50:23 PM »

The Fair Radio pictures looks like a distribution place where you take your discarded metal junk for recycling.

Most of those sellers in the flea market seem to be very "price-wise" proud of the equipment they're selling.  Grin

Only about 283 of those Johnson 6N2 Thunderbolts were ever made. I have one but it eats up a lot of room and it's heavy. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. My Gonset 903 and 913  2 and 6 meter amps   (single 4CX250B) get the most use.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA3EKH

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 09:44:22 AM »

It may just be me but I think Fair Radio had died about two or three years ago. I was out at Hamvention and was there on Thursday and did go to the Hamvention early along with hitting Midwest Electronic Surplus and thought about driving up to Lima being that I have gone to Fair Radio on Thursday for the last five years or so on Thursday before the Hamvention but did not. Last years visit was just a matter of looking at the exact same stuff that had been there and had been picked over from the years before. Nothing new and the prices were too much for what was there. The lack of lighting in the warehouse, general state of the equipment and everything else just decided to blow it off.
People I talked with who did visit tell me it was the same as the year before, and that prices were the same too. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who did any buying last week and what their experience was like. 
If anything, somewhat glad I did not go and would prefer to remember what it was like years ago. Am certain that once its gone forever the stories will grow bigger and bigger down the line on how great the place was and how you missed out by not being there, something along the lines of how wonderful Mendelson’s was today, but that’s how these things always play out.
Don’t know if I will go to the auction or not yet.

KD1SH

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 07:11:34 PM »

Yeah, I don't know, really, if I'd have come home with that amp. Its main value is in its rarity and nostalgia, but for actual use, it's heavy for its power output, and takes up a lot of space. It is a very nice example, though. Too bad the asking price wasn't visible; I'd love to know.

The Fair Radio pictures looks like a distribution place where you take your discarded metal junk for recycling.

Most of those sellers in the flea market seem to be very "price-wise" proud of the equipment they're selling.  Grin

Only about 283 of those Johnson 6N2 Thunderbolts were ever made. I have one but it eats up a lot of room and it's heavy. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. My Gonset 903 and 913  2 and 6 meter amps   (single 4CX250B) get the most use.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 12:26:50 AM »

Most of those sellers in the flea market seem to be very "price-wise" proud of the equipment they're selling.  Grin

Only about 283 of those Johnson 6N2 Thunderbolts were ever made. I have one but it eats up a lot of room and it's heavy. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with it. My Gonset 903 and 913  2 and 6 meter amps   (single 4CX250B) get the most use.

I'd like some 'full size' 6/2/440 amps, but they are not easy to find and the tube ones are as you say, big and heavy. I used to have a HF Thunderbolt, two 4-400s. Traded it to a ham for some old McIntosh audio amps way back in the days before I had a ham license. The 6N2 Thunderbolt uses two 4X150A, right?

Missed the swap meet, but as for the store, there are many fantastic items, among the many so-so. I ordered a bunch of stuff for my PRC-25, 77, and RT-1439 sets a few months ago. Also a few sets of PA, servo control amp, power supplies, and tuning dicriminators from a 400W aircraft HF set.  

Have one final order, and it's a beast. There are some things that can't be ignored and can't be found elsewhere. I'm fortunate in that I like the unusual stuff.

(sorry my browser is not 'respecting' the normal quoting of mesages, don't know why)

Radio Candelstein
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 02:09:06 AM »

You don't need this:
/quote =============================

6N2 Thunderbolt came standard with two 4X150A finals.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 10:56:51 PM »

You don't need this:

Here is without the "====". My reply and the quote look exactly the same background and text, meaning I don't see the difference from a quoted post and the reply to it. Maybe it's my PC.

Radio Candelstein
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 01:26:52 PM »

You don't need this:

Here is without the "====". My reply and the quote look exactly the same background and text, meaning I don't see the difference from a quoted post and the reply to it. Maybe it's my PC.

When you want to quote someone's entire message, you click the Field (upper right) that says QUOTE.
The quoted text should have a box around it and the words Quote from ... starting at the top of the left side outside the box.

Now, if you just wanted to quote a phrase or just a sentence in someone's post, you can:
just copy and paste the phrase or sentence  to your response
AND precede the phrase or sentence, with open bracket, add the word quote, closed bracket and at the end of the phrase or sentence, add open bracket, add \the word quote, closed bracket
Open bracket is [
Closed bracket is ]

EX. From your previous post, I copied and paste and quoted a phrase
exactly the same background and text

NOTE: As far as shading  and text size, it could be a function as to Windows setting and/or browser settings.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 01:07:37 AM »

Pete I am sure you are right on that. It's not an obvious setting I'll say that.

Radio Candelstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015