The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:01:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest Reports!  (Read 1239 times)
W1DAN
Contributing

« on: April 27, 2024, 08:09:24 AM »

Greetings!

Had a great time at NEAR-Fest. Please post your experiences and what you may have bought or sold. Here is my story with photos:

This Spring’s NEAR-Fest (https://near-fest.com/) was on Thursday April 25 and Friday April 26. I decided to take Thursday from work for some radio stress relief, and to sell some unwanted items from my QTH. During the previous week I started to gather items together. I was going to sell a couple of large National HRO-50T’s but instead and preferably I was able to loan them to Kevin KD1NW for his enjoyment, so I had more room for other “treasures” to put in the car and vend. I decided to go Friday as well.

Thursday I arrived at the Deerfield NH fairgrounds around 7AM, and happily there was no line. I found a spot among the pines and set up two folding tables with stuff. I also started taking photos. I sold a few items and gave a few away to unsuspecting recipients (it is fun to play Santa!). After a while Kevin stopped by and watched my table to allow me to walk around and look for goodies. The day went well, and I truly enjoyed visiting with fellow AM’ers, club members and other interesting folk.

In the afternoon, Tim Smith WA1HLR arrived, and I delivered an old Collins 32V2 that he has modified for Peter W1ZZZ (SK) that his wife Sara allowed me to donate to him (thanks to Kevin for driving up from southern RI to help me load the heavy transmitter in my car). As Tim modified the transmitter, it felt good that he would be able to use it again. Putting my Santa hat on, I also tossed one of my Orban Optimods in his car, which he promises to put on one of the WBCQ Shortwave transmitters-I am looking forward to hearing it. In all I sold about $300 worth of gems Thursday.

Meeting up with mover and shaker, and all around nice guy Joe W3GMS, he implored that I stay for the AM dinner. I was beat-tired by 1PM, but I walked around the flea until about 4PM, tried to get a nap in my car (no good) and drove to the Northwood Brewery in Northwood NH (https://www.northwoodsbrewingcompany.com/) early. Here I enjoyed one of their many in-house brewed beers until the AM folks started arriving. I enjoyed meeting and discussing the hobby with some folks that I knew, and some that I just met, took some photos and a video of most of the attendees introducing themselves (link below). At about 8PM I started the drive home, still very tired but happy.

Friday, I arrived at about 8AM and did not set up to sell. This was my buying day. The day before I was eying a National NC183 that Ross W1EKG had on his table, and while it looked a bit rough, it showed promise. I was able to talk him down to $60 for the radio and speaker. He allowed me to use his flatbed dolly to bring the radio to my car if I delivered a military radio to Brown W1NZR. After playing UPS delivery, I walked around and bought a few items such as a well-made directional sample for $2 and a box of disc ceramic caps for $3. I left the flea at about 1:30PM with far fewer items as I went up with Friday.

The attendance was less than in previous years, and this could be attributed to this event being held on weekdays instead of a weekend. As running NEAR-Fest takes a lot of work, I am very thankful for the gift we have in this event.

Here are my photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EQ91mCJmgZD4RvVa7

Dan
W1DAN
Natick MA
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 09:00:42 AM »

Thanks Dan , for report and pictures/video.
I didn’t make it but nice to get nice report, looks like great time..
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 09:33:21 AM »

Hi Dan..wow what nice photos you took..!..hopefully Bob gets to see the one with me pointing to ur Orban..great fest..!..great to finally meet ya after yakking with Bob on our weekly skeds..take care Dan..73 de DAVE WB1EAD

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 11:07:36 AM »

Thanks, Dan, for the excellent pictures. It was great meeting you for the first time, as well as a few other notable first-time-meets including Joe, W3GMS and Jerry, W1ZB, and a host of regulars including Mark, WA2FXM; Carl, WA1KPD; Larry, NE1S; Bruce, WX1O; Larry, WA1LJQ, and Brown, W1NZR.
  My wife had a great time, as always, selling her crocheted goodies, and I managed to scrounge up a few prizes, including a very nice—and appropriately heavy—plate/filament supply, three very nicely priced vacuum variables, and an entirely dead but possibly repairable Tektronix 2712 spectrum analyzer, which appears to be otherwise in fine physical shape. I'm hoping it's something absurdly simple like a bad cap in the power supply, but if not, it was dirt-cheap.
  Weather was great, other than a bit chilly early Thursday morning, with temps in the 20's and a stiff breeze; I'm glad I listened to my wife and brought a heavier coat, winter wool hat, and gloves.
  All-in-all, a fine Nearfest, and as always, my hat's off to the Nearfest Team for making it all happen. Already looking forward to October!

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 05:10:07 PM »

My friend, Ernie KO2E, and I attended both days we also felt the attendance was off quite a bit from previous years. You certainly couldn’t beat the weather! We had setup in the sun and it was very comfortable.
We did notice none of the buildings were open and I didn’t see any major vendors like HRO. I did ask someone and he mentioned a bug problem but he may have joking.

Overall we had decent time selling and there was a lot more room in my SUV on the way back to Saratoga. We were pricing things to sell and gave some stuff away. It’s a well run fest. Kudos to the staff!

Steve
WA2TTP P
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 06:26:50 PM »

There was, actually, one large building open, with commercial vendors inside, although no HRO. It was the large white building that overlooks the lower lot; the building where they've often had VE exams and presentations and such in the past. It was the buildings that were at the heart of the Thursday/Friday change. The Deerfield Fairgrounds apparently makes a bit of money in the off-season months by renting out space in those buildings for the storage of items like boats, classic cars, RV's, tractors, and whatever, and due to some miscommunication the date on which the buildings were to be vacated fell on the same Saturday as Nearfest.

My friend, Ernie KO2E, and I attended both days we also felt the attendance was off quite a bit from previous years. You certainly couldn’t beat the weather! We had setup in the sun and it was very comfortable.
We did notice none of the buildings were open and I didn’t see any major vendors like HRO. I did ask someone and he mentioned a bug problem but he may have joking.

Overall we had decent time selling and there was a lot more room in my SUV on the way back to Saratoga. We were pricing things to sell and gave some stuff away. It’s a well run fest. Kudos to the staff!

Steve
WA2TTP P

WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 07:58:00 PM »

Thanks for the update. I guess I just didn’t notice it☹️
W2JRO

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 11:05:52 AM »

I thought attendance really wasn't that bad considering the change in dates. Thursday was the busier day and I thought the tailgaters were down about 10-15% from last years spring fest. I don't think HRO has been at the fest in a few years.

One thing I have noticed when comparing the gear for sale at Nearfest  to a place like Raleigh, NC which had its fest a few weeks ago, is lack of 50's-60's gear. I saw mostly gear from the late 80's and up.

I.e. I saw no Johnson Viking I or II's...just one or two Collins 75a's, No s-line stuff except for a single KWM-2a and a couple of 30L1's...
I think it has lot to do with the Migration from the northeast after retirement...It's still a blast to go, but you can see the slow but sure changes.
KD1SH

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 12:30:07 PM »

Yes, turnout was a bit better on Thursday, but still, neither day was terrible. Not as good, though, as the first post-Covid Nearfest, which saw a fantastic turnout.
  There are usually quite a few Viking I's and II's, but I saw none this time, although I did see one Ranger I and two Ranger II's, as well as one Viking Challenger, which tempted me, but I've got too many unfinished projects going as it is.
  Not a lot of home-brew rigs or parts, sadly, and that's the stuff I'm usually focusing on. Not a single 4-1000A, 813, or 810 in sight, and barely a hint of big iron. Sad thought, but I'm thinking that with declining interest, a lot of sellers are dumpstering that stuff rather than lugging it to hamfests.
  Still, Nearfest is always worth attending, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I thought attendance really wasn't that bad considering the change in dates. Thursday was the busier day and I thought the tailgaters were down about 10-15% from last years spring fest. I don't think HRO has been at the fest in a few years.

One thing I have noticed when comparing the gear for sale at Nearfest  to a place like Raleigh, NC which had its fest a few weeks ago, is lack of 50's-60's gear. I saw mostly gear from the late 80's and up.

I.e. I saw no Johnson Viking I or II's...just one or two Collins 75a's, No s-line stuff except for a single KWM-2a and a couple of 30L1's...
I think it has lot to do with the Migration from the northeast after retirement...It's still a blast to go, but you can see the slow but sure changes.

WA1HSD

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 05:00:14 PM »

Hi All, I have not been posting here, but was at Near-fest and did  a few things I waned to mention. I am WA1HSD, not active lately but had been active on &% AM in the pat. Had worked reworking ART 13s and I have an updated Globe King 500. I did sell 1) 813, 1) 811, and 3 807s. I also sold an Audio Plug section used at times in ART-13s. Also other "junk"
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 05:57:23 PM »

Welcome WA1HSD!

Keep your filaments lit and hope to work you on AM...

Dan
WA1HSD

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 06:04:17 PM »

Welcome WA1HSD!

Keep your filaments lit and hope to work you on AM...

Dan
I do hope to get all the antenna wiring back up, and back and running. A bit lower in priority than other Family issues to help with, I am sure you understand. Thanks for the reply.
Dean
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 08:11:11 AM »

Many people axed me why Thursday and not Saturday this time?
Here is your answer:  Like most fairgrounds Deerfield Fair rents out winter storage in their barns and buildings for trailers, campers, boats, etc.  This generates significant revenue for them.  The last three Saturdays in April are when the people come and take out their stored items.  Naturally there is much traffic going out which would be right through the flea market area. This represents a safety hazard.
It was a scheduling conflict which was strictly the fault of the Fair Association. We were forced to work around it.
Our choices were: 1: Find another venue. 2: Cancel the spring NEAR-Fest and 3: Do the Fester on Thursday and Friday.  We chose the latter.  The WX was perfect and we had a great fest but attendance was down and we lost some $$$. So what? We still managed to have a great flea market, bought and peddled some neat stuff and everybody who came seemed to have fun.  
That is what this is all about!
MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 09:53:03 PM »

Greetings!

Had a great time at NEAR-Fest. Please post your experiences and what you may have bought or sold. Here is my story with photos:

This Spring’s NEAR-Fest (https://near-fest.com/) was on Thursday April 25 and Friday April 26. I decided to take Thursday from work for some radio stress relief, and to sell some unwanted items from my QTH. During the previous week I started to gather items together. I was going to sell a couple of large National HRO-50T’s but instead and preferably I was able to loan them to Kevin KD1NW for his enjoyment, so I had more room for other “treasures” to put in the car and vend. I decided to go Friday as well.

Thursday I arrived at the Deerfield NH fairgrounds around 7AM, and happily there was no line. I found a spot among the pines and set up two folding tables with stuff. I also started taking photos. I sold a few items and gave a few away to unsuspecting recipients (it is fun to play Santa!). After a while Kevin stopped by and watched my table to allow me to walk around and look for goodies. The day went well, and I truly enjoyed visiting with fellow AM’ers, club members and other interesting folk.

In the afternoon, Tim Smith WA1HLR arrived, and I delivered an old Collins 32V2 that he has modified for Peter W1ZZZ (SK) that his wife Sara allowed me to donate to him (thanks to Kevin for driving up from southern RI to help me load the heavy transmitter in my car). As Tim modified the transmitter, it felt good that he would be able to use it again. Putting my Santa hat on, I also tossed one of my Orban Optimods in his car, which he promises to put on one of the WBCQ Shortwave transmitters-I am looking forward to hearing it. In all I sold about $300 worth of gems Thursday.

Meeting up with mover and shaker, and all around nice guy Joe W3GMS, he implored that I stay for the AM dinner. I was beat-tired by 1PM, but I walked around the flea until about 4PM, tried to get a nap in my car (no good) and drove to the Northwood Brewery in Northwood NH (https://www.northwoodsbrewingcompany.com/) early. Here I enjoyed one of their many in-house brewed beers until the AM folks started arriving. I enjoyed meeting and discussing the hobby with some folks that I knew, and some that I just met, took some photos and a video of most of the attendees introducing themselves (link below). At about 8PM I started the drive home, still very tired but happy.

Friday, I arrived at about 8AM and did not set up to sell. This was my buying day. The day before I was eying a National NC183 that Ross W1EKG had on his table, and while it looked a bit rough, it showed promise. I was able to talk him down to $60 for the radio and speaker. He allowed me to use his flatbed dolly to bring the radio to my car if I delivered a military radio to Brown W1NZR. After playing UPS delivery, I walked around and bought a few items such as a well-made directional sample for $2 and a box of disc ceramic caps for $3. I left the flea at about 1:30PM with far fewer items as I went up with Friday.

The attendance was less than in previous years, and this could be attributed to this event being held on weekdays instead of a weekend. As running NEAR-Fest takes a lot of work, I am very thankful for the gift we have in this event.

Here are my photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EQ91mCJmgZD4RvVa7

Dan
W1DAN
Natick MA

Wonderful pictures and audio Dan!  Many thanks for documenting this very special NEAR-Fest.  Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2024, 11:13:42 PM »

Thanks for the great pics, Ross W1EKG is a friend, I belong to the Whitman Club.

We had our West Coast Military Radio Collectors Meet in San Luis Obsipo, CA last weekend too

Tom, W6TOM
kd1nw
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 05:16:49 PM »

Thanks Dan, You took lots of great pics. I had a great time and the HRO50s will keep me busy for some time
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015