The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian WS-52 Receiver  (Read 1730 times)
KA3EKH

« on: March 15, 2024, 09:16:16 AM »

Was at the National Electronics Museum warehouse sale and picked up this Canadian WS-52 receiver. It has eleven very strange Brimar tubes that look something like regular 6D6/6C6 but have weird bases and are all 12 volt filaments.
The receiver covers 1.75 to 19 MHz in three bands and appears to me to be somewhat of a higher end military receiver. It was built in 1944 and has separate RF/AF gain controls, BFO, ANL and a broad and sharp IF and Audio filters along with the British/Marconi printed tuning dial with a reduction tuning control along with a separate fine tuning control.
It requires 12 volts for the filaments and what appears to be 200 volts for the plates. I have been running it on around 150 volts being don’t know the state of the bypass and coupling capacitors in the radio but suspect that they may all need to be changed.
Sensitivity, selectivity and audio all appear good for a receiver that’s eighty years old. If I keep it may have to replace all the internal bypass and coupling capacitors but have not decided if I want to do that yet. Not bad for something that’s been sitting in a warehouse for decades and just needed cleaning and some oil on the tuning stuff, have to wonder just how well will your SDR receivers work in eighty years from now?

* IMG_1785.JPG (1319.09 KB, 2420x1815 - viewed 88 times.)
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 03:36:43 PM »

Just put up a video of the Canadian WS-52 receiver that I have been working on along with its inverter power supply. Surprised how well that receiver works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMom8wdA9qY&t=186s

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015