The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:05:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KM1H Status  (Read 2333 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« on: December 27, 2023, 05:19:34 AM »

Just forwarding news.

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Doug Grant <dougk1dg at gmail.com>To: YCCC <yccc at groups.io>Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2023 at 03:38:10 PM ESTSubject: [yccc] Followup: KM1H
 Since nobody had any direct info on Carl's status, I drove to his house and knocked on the door today, not quite sure what to expect.
Carl's ex-wife answered the door and invited me in. She announced me to Carl, who then made his way down the stairs . We had a nice visit and yakked for about a half-hour. He knew me, and even asked how my "twin" (K1AR) was doing.
He was unaware that his ham license had expired, but at age 83, sometimes events like that slip by.

So now you know "...the rest of the story".
Doug K1DG

Seems he's still around.  I'm sure as crotchety as ever.  Nice of his ex to step up.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 09:43:04 AM »

WP2ASS said:
Seems he's still around.  I'm sure as crotchety as ever.  Nice of his ex to step up.

I wonder what that is all about? Huh Maybe she is the only one that can tolerate him. Wink Well glad to know the old curmudgeon is upright!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
n8fvj

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 10:18:03 AM »

WP2ASS said:

I wonder what that is all about? Huh Maybe she is the only one that can tolerate him. Wink Well glad to know the old curmudgeon is upright!

The concern is Carl stopped posting a year ago when he would normally post everyday. At QTH a while ago this concern resulted in a call to local police of Carl's well being and finally a visit to his house confirming his well being.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 11:10:15 AM »

WP2ASS said:

The concern is Carl stopped posting a year ago when he would normally post everyday. At QTH a while ago this concern resulted in a call to local police of Carl's well being and finally a visit to his house confirming his well being.

I was part of that as well.

I consider Carl as a friend.  I was a nasty asshole to him.  He heard I needed some parts through the grapevine.

They showed up at my house, for free.  Carl is an asshole, but he's also a hams ham.

I miss his presence, although sometimes he can by 'trying'.

Anyway, glad to see he's still alive and kicking.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
n8fvj

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 11:25:46 AM »

Only issue with Carl was he was always right and most of the time he did give good info.
Les Locklear

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 05:13:15 PM »

Only issue with Carl was he was always right and most of the time he did give good info.

Carl and I were in the Navy about the same time, early 1960's. My ship an aircraft carrier the U.S.S. Independence CVA-62 collided with The U.S.S. Diamondhead an ammo ship after refueling with the oil tanker that Carl was aboard at the time. Investigation showed faulty navigation by the Diamondhead. They took water on and had a fire break out in the forecastle. We got the hell out of there...

Cut from the internet:
On arriving at GTMO, we refueled and were ordered to station south of Cuba and join a task group for operations in support of ongoing “exercises.” We had no idea what was going on. Around 0200 on 15 or 16 April we were in a replenishment formation and ready to rearm the USS Independence (CV-62). She had just refueled from the Waccamaw (AO-109). We had bombs ready on deck for the rearming process. The Independence pulled way from the oiler and made as if to head out in front of the formation and, when clear, was supposed to turn and come alongside our port side, as was required when replenishing carriers.

She cut it too close and steamed across our starboard bow, her port quarter colliding with our starboard side just slightly aft of number 1 hold and just forward of number 2, where nuclear weapons were stored. The Diamond Head rolled to port about 35 degrees, and a fire broke out at number 1 hold, where miscellaneous stores were kept. After a few agonizing moments, our ship rolled back upright. We’d sustained a hole about the size of a large truck, fortunately above the waterline. The Independence suffered a dent in her port-quarter gun blister. The fire was contained in short order, but there was concern about the heat getting to the cargo in number 2 hold, which, had it happened, would have been calamitous.
End of clipping.

We swapped some parts. Extremely knowledgeable. I'm 80 and crochety at times too!

Les Locklear

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 06:45:19 PM »

What I haven't heard is to why he stopped posting so abruptly on all forums he was still allowed to post on.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
n8fvj

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 01:26:27 AM »

Carl did post on QRZ after his disappearance, but gave no explanation why he stopped posting. I think he was tired of the BS. He is a 'my way or go to highway' type of person. Military experience and early 1940s born, they do not make men like him now.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 02:53:52 AM »

Carl did post on QRZ after his disappearance, but gave no explanation why he stopped posting. I think he was tired of the BS. He is a 'my way or go to highway' type of person. Military experience and early 1940s born, they do not make men like him now.

Your statement in your post (I highlighted in RED) makes no sense.  Huh
Or was it the "Ghost of Christmas Past"  Grin

You probably should verify your information before you post something.
Carl's last post was on January 1, 2022.
See here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?search/127720283/
Note that the list is descending with the most recent first.

ALSO: Carl's last post on Eham was January 5, 2022.

n8fvj

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 08:06:24 AM »

Your link on QTH last post does not work.
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 09:42:48 AM »

Try
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-arrl-directors.788843/page-10#post-6061572

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
n8fvj

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 10:31:29 AM »

Not post I was looking for, but thanks.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 10:43:44 AM »

Les Locklear said:
Carl and I were in the Navy about the same time, early 1960's. My ship an aircraft carrier the U.S.S. Independence CVA-62 collided with The U.S.S. Diamondhead an ammo ship after refueling with the oil tanker that Carl was aboard at the time. Investigation showed faulty navigation by the Diamondhead. They took water on and had a fire break out in the forecastle. We got the hell out of there...

Cut from the internet:
On arriving at GTMO, we refueled and were ordered to station south of Cuba and join a task group for operations in support of ongoing “exercises.” We had no idea what was going on. Around 0200 on 15 or 16 April we were in a replenishment formation and ready to rearm the USS Independence (CV-62). She had just refueled from the Waccamaw (AO-109). We had bombs ready on deck for the rearming process. The Independence pulled way from the oiler and made as if to head out in front of the formation and, when clear, was supposed to turn and come alongside our port side, as was required when replenishing carriers.

She cut it too close and steamed across our starboard bow, her port quarter colliding with our starboard side just slightly aft of number 1 hold and just forward of number 2, where nuclear weapons were stored. The Diamond Head rolled to port about 35 degrees, and a fire broke out at number 1 hold, where miscellaneous stores were kept. After a few agonizing moments, our ship rolled back upright. We’d sustained a hole about the size of a large truck, fortunately above the waterline. The Independence suffered a dent in her port-quarter gun blister. The fire was contained in short order, but there was concern about the heat getting to the cargo in number 2 hold, which, had it happened, would have been calamitous.
End of clipping.

We swapped some parts. Extremely knowledgeable. I'm 80 and crochety at times too!

Les Locklear
Les, I'm a former carrier swabbie myself but came a 'few' years later after you. My workcenter chief used to remind us of the former ships he served on: "Back when I was on the Indy,,,,,,,,, Back when I was on the Shangrala,,,,,,,"  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 01:38:20 PM »

Duh!
I didn't post any link to QTH!

QRZ.com will not accept a direct link due to security changes.
Copy the link I provided.
Go to QRZ.com and log in if not auto-logged in.
Paste the link in URL field.
Press "ENTER" or "RETURN" keys

OR - REVIEW THE SCREEN SHOT BELOW - IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

* KM1H_last_QRZ_visit.jpg (230.93 KB, 1595x1451 - viewed 130 times.)

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 01:57:27 PM »

Good to hear Carl is around. Hope he does well. I value his National experience.

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015