The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:31:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WV-98C issues  (Read 3485 times)
W5UF

« on: December 14, 2023, 12:25:39 PM »

Wondering if someone out there has experience with RCA WV-98C voltohmyst characteristics. I recently lucked on a used one that had a few problems I fixed (leaky caps), but after calibrating it I noticed that the ac cal was ok but after removing probes from AC voltage calibration source the meter would slowly, veeery slowly wander back to zero setting, taking like a full minute to reach close to zero. Is this normal for this instrument? Or do I need to do more troubleshooting.

Thanks for any inputs. You can email to ralfowler@att.net.

Update: Here is schematic of the wv-98c if that helps. And here’s a jpeg of the front with switches identified.

* IMG_4061.png (1010.97 KB, 2048x2732 - viewed 74 times.)

* IMG_4062.jpeg (95.93 KB, 700x734 - viewed 67 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 01:36:31 PM »

It would be helpful to answer your question if you provided a schematic

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA3EKH

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 01:55:35 PM »

We still had some of those when I was back in school in the seventies and from what I remember they would zero if you shorted the probe and other then that they would always be bouncing around, something to do with the high impedance high frequency input. Other then maybe looking at IF voltages or oscillator grids cannot imagine what else they would be good for. Back then we used crapy LabVolt meters at our workstations and when we started working on real world items used a Simpson 260 for everything because all those old VTVM were so squirrely.
Try hanging a 100K resistor on the probe and see if that fixes it.

W5UF

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 03:21:24 PM »

Yeah, don’t know why anyone would choose to use it except to get that
“Vintage happy feeling” (which I admit I like). I’ve tried shorting the probes but that doesn’t make a difference at all. Very strange.
KA3EKH

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 03:58:25 PM »

Did you try a different 12AU7? Think that's like a balanced bridge deal, not a lot to it. If it were only unstable in AC would think it can be the dual diode but if you changed the capacitors there is not a lot more to it. don't know, maybe I don't understand you question. is it that its unstable with out a constant input or that it just is slow to react?

W5UF

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 04:53:04 PM »

It works fine on resistance and voltage measurements. It’s just that when I measure ac voltages the reading is accurate, but when I disconnect the probe from the ac source, the meter doesn’t go back to zero until it slooooly settles back to zero after a minute or so. I would expect the meter to settle back to zero within 1-2 seconds.

BTW, I  did replace the 12au7 and 6al5 but no difference.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 07:17:56 PM »

I remember the one in the TV repair shop that I was a shop rat at doing the same random drifting when operating with the probe just floating and not connected to a circuit or component.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KA3EKH

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 08:52:30 PM »

think maybe that part of its vintage charm!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 03:30:22 AM »

Was the meter power switch ON or OFF when meter pointer drifting occurred?
What was the Range set to when the meter pointer drifted down?
Does it happen in all Range switch positions?
Has C1 and C2 been replaced?

W5UF

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 08:59:23 AM »

Meter was powered on. Range was probably 50 vims for cal. Happened on all the ranges I used for AC cal. I replaced C1 but not trimmer C2.
W5UF

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 09:09:02 AM »

I remember the one in the TV repair shop that I was a shop rat at doing the same random drifting when operating with the probe just floating and not connected to a circuit or component.

Sounds like my “problem”. But I can live with it.
W5UF

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 09:11:13 AM »

Yeah, I have quite a few “Charming” vintage instruments Smiley
W5UF

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »

Did you try a different 12AU7? Think that's like a balanced bridge deal, not a lot to it. If it were only unstable in AC would think it can be the dual diode but if you changed the capacitors there is not a lot more to it. don't know, maybe I don't understand you question. is it that its unstable with out a constant input or that it just is slow to react?

Changed both tubes with no difference. Seems like some cap is holding the rectified ac voltage with no shunt resistance to discharge it.
W5UF

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 09:29:26 AM »

I’m so charmed  Wink
W5UF

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 09:34:40 AM »

I’m so charmed  Wink

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I WILL PROBABLY DO A BIT MORE POKING AROUND (BUT NOT ENOUGH TO DESTROY IT LIKE IVE DONE BEFORE) AND REPORT IF I FIND THE PROBLEM. BUT NOW INSUSPECT ITS PARTNOF ITS “CHARM). 73’S TO ALL.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2023, 11:40:58 AM »

I’m so charmed  Wink

I just noticed you posted a picture of a WV-98C but a diagram of an A model,  There are differences.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I WILL PROBABLY DO A BIT MORE POKING AROUND (BUT NOT ENOUGH TO DESTROY IT LIKE IVE DONE BEFORE) AND REPORT IF I FIND THE PROBLEM. BUT NOW INSUSPECT ITS PARTNOF ITS “CHARM). 73’S TO ALL.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2023, 02:45:59 PM »

I just noticed you posted a picture of a WV-98C but a diagram of an A model,  There are differences.

If you ask the members for help or guidance, it's always good to provide the correct information.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2023, 02:48:46 PM »

Meter was powered on. Range was probably 50 vims for cal. Happened on all the ranges I used for AC cal. I replaced C1 but not trimmer C2.
Capacitor C1 is .05 mfd at 600V
Capacitor C2 is .02 mfd at 450V
NOTE: Info from the RCA WV-98C manual, schematic and parts list.

KA3EKH

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2023, 04:11:37 PM »

Also remember that if you ask the members for help or guidance, it's not always good to do what they say! I think that all high impedance, high frequency voltmeters are flakey at best. Neat test, it’s not ac but what the hell. On a vacuum tube receiver connect the meter to the AVC bus, that’s a place where the old analog meters would load them down and provide false readings and try feeding the receiver with a signal generator and see what happens when you vary the output??? Also, this would be like the NHRA Nitro test but in theory should work although I have never tried it. Connect the meter probe to the RF side of the detector, because the meter is both high impedance and RF you should be able to see the RF voltage on the output of the IF amplifier and on the detector, you can go up the IF chain and see the RF voltage gain of each stage, Woo Hoo! Try it with the AVC turned OFF and then ON and see the AVC action! Some may say you can do the same thing with a scope but that won’t include any RCA Analog fun.
It’s all like using a General Radio Bridge, people today do impedance and capacitance with stupid little digital meters that tell you to a decimal point but the only true reading is from using a bridge and your brain, and maybe a signal generator.
Remember, time spent working on vintage equipment is never wasted, like time at work.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2023, 04:56:34 PM »

When servicing and/or aligning boatanchor  equipment, I generally tend to use the same or similar type of VOM or VTVM that would have used back in the manufacturer's day. I also tend to follow their direction for generator and meter connections into the equipment. I never use digital meters to measure current or voltage on old equipment. They generally don't have the same +/- tolerances of the analog VOM and VTVM meters.

I also never/ever do an ad hoc replacement of all capacitors in equipment as one of my first steps in servicing old equipment. I tend to find the initial problem first, fix that, and then review and check all other parts and replace if necessary. I discovered early on that old doesn't necessarily mean "bad and replace".

W5UF

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2023, 05:38:58 PM »

I’m so charmed  Wink

I just noticed you posted a picture of a WV-98C but a diagram of an A model,  There are differences.

Dear friends: Color me embarrassed and with egg all over. The model I have is an “A” and not a “C”. So my premise was wrong and caused a lot of confusion. For that I apologize for my carelessness.

W5UF

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2023, 06:08:31 PM »

If you ask the members for help or guidance, it's always good to provide the correct information.

Very true.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2023, 07:25:48 PM »

Oh darn!! Now we have to start over.  Shocked

Pull this schematic below off the web. Didn't feel like going to my file room to pull my WV-98A info.
Looks like whoever scanned this schematic did it with a $19 scanner  Shocked I diddled with it briefly to try and make it more presentable but I'm only working with one eye at this time so it is what it is.Grin

* RCA_WV98A_sch.jpg (171.22 KB, 2046x1092 - viewed 68 times.)

ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2023, 11:38:26 AM »

Does anyone have a scan of the WV-98C meter face? The red scales on mine are totally faded, no way to enhance them with a computer/scan.
...or any spare '98C meter faces out there?

Thanks.
KA3EKH

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2023, 11:40:08 AM »

Those old timey engineers at RCA were way smarter then I am, after all they invented the Smith chart, I know its embarrassing for me to question there wisdom but look at the size of C4 @ 0.047 Its freaking huge compared to the load of the voltage divider for the AC scale.  Assume they needed a certain minimum size for correct readings at low frequencies but cant see any way you would have fast action on AC readings with a big capacitor in that circuit. I would have though something like a 0.01 would do it but maybe they needed that big a capacitor for correct readings at 60 cycles? But that’s just my speculation, and as my wife will tell you I am wrong at least three times a day and its not even noon yet.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015