The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:25:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RME 41, 45 & 84 Receivers  (Read 1136 times)
n8fvj

« on: November 07, 2023, 04:58:44 AM »

I did not find any info on these receivers during a search thus worthy of this post.
The RME 41, 45, 45B & 84 general coverage receivers are basically the same receiver design regarding selectivity and sensitivity. The RME 84 was built to compete with the Hallicrafters S-40 and the Hallicrafters was way more popular unfortunately for RME.

The designs uses a mixer vs a converter tube for a more quiet receiver. These receivers work better than the lower transconductance Rf and IF tubes suggest. I read the short Loctal tubes wiring from socket to internal tube elements have less losses, but I am not sure about that at HF frequencies. The radios are sensitive on the CB band where some same era receivers are not without a dual RF or modern miniature tubes that started to appear in 1947. For some reason the RF and IF 7B7s do not work being substituted with higher transconductance later manufactured Loctal tubes even though Nostalgia Air 7B7 sub list suggests so. The 7B7 in NOS are very expensive on eBay, averaging over $20 per new tube whereas Findatube in Ohio sells NOS for $9 each.

The radios do not have a band-spread and is not needed with the 80 to 1 tuning ratio and large dial. This makes the receivers easy to use and tune across the bands. The  Ohio University test of the RME 45B states it is a good receiver and a great match to the Johnson Viking II. These are rather inexpensive radios. I bought my RME 84 in very good cosmetic and working condition for $65. Have fun.
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 06:58:11 PM »

The RME45B has a vernier dial that is in the center of the main tuning knob, and has markings for ham bands on a central rotating dial. Unfortunately, the ham band bandspread markings are tiny, difficult to read. Its performance on 10M is not that good, but it does work. They made a separate matching converter, the VHF-152 for 10, 6 and 2M as well. I recently restored a RME45B for the museum (VRCMCT.ORG) and have it paired up with a DX-60 in the museum hamshack. Also we have a VHF-152 converter for it, but I have not restored that as yet, its on  my long list.
Larry
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 03:45:33 PM »

Larry,

You will also find it pretty much impossible beyond luck of the draw to get the band spread calibration to line up properly for both 15 and 10 since they are both on range 6, with the other ranges you can align it to agree closely with the single ham band on those ranges with the tradeoff of calibration not quite as good on the rest of the range.

I have several in this series but after the RME-99, in terms of performance, I am ready to jump to the 4300/4350 and then the 6900 series.  Performance with the 4300/4350 series is fine but the dial mechanism can be a problem.

Rodger WQ9E

* RME-99 Lysco 600.jpg (159.83 KB, 742x232 - viewed 68 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 09:44:26 AM »

Thats nice looking! We have a 4350 at the museum, but I have not restored it yet. I have not idea, how well it will do. Also a RME45, non-B version, I don't plan to do up that one.
LB
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 10:06:50 AM »

WQ9E said:
I have several in this series but after the RME-99, in terms of performance, I am ready to jump to the 4300/4350 and then the 6900 series.  Performance with the 4300/4350 series is fine but the dial mechanism can be a problem.
You have that right! I have one right now that someone did a nice job re-capping but got the coils/bandswitch out of sequence. Getting the right amount of torque on that dial mechanism along with the proper amount of lubrication is a delicate act!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
n8fvj

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 10:54:05 AM »

My RME 84 is fairly good on 10 meters. My SX-100 is little mor sensitive though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015