The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Filament chokes (again)  (Read 1564 times)
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« on: October 25, 2023, 10:23:54 PM »

Gonna build my first GG linear amp and would like some suggestions on what kind of filament choke to use. I've gone through most of the previous threads here and have some of the basic concepts figured out, but I'd still like to hear thoughts on what others would do. My amp project will be a simple one band linear amp for 160 meter SSB. I plan to use a single 813 with around 2000V on the plate. Hoping to get around 500W PEP input. The exciter will be a modern transceiver. I found a very simple circuit at w4npn.net that puts all three grids directly to chassis ground.

For a filament choke, I have several options. RF Parts has an Ameritron FILRFC30 choke that is listed as a 15uH choke usable on 1.8-30MHz. 15uH seems a bit light for 1.8MHz, and I was wondering if anybody has experience with this choke on 160 meters.

RF Parts also has a choke listed simply as "RF Pillar Choke 55uH". The picture of this choke sure looks like a bifilar wound coil on a ferrite rod. 55uH sounds better than 15uH for 1.8MHz. Maybe somebody could take a look at the pic and let me know what you think.

Lastly, I could roll my own. Looking for suggestions on ferrite mix, wire gauge, and number of turns. I could also do the ferrite bead thing. Again looking for suggestions on ferrite mix and number of beads.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
73, Ron W8ACR

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 06:33:11 PM »

Here's a pretty good thread on filament choke designs that may be of benefit.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=28171.0

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 09:25:34 AM »

I tested chokes using #43 beads...results are on page 2 of the  thread "FILAMENT CHOKE CONSTRUCTION"  Good luck Ron....
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 01:05:43 PM »

Above 7mhz, I use 43.  Below I use 31.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 11:56:01 AM »

Thank you for the comments. After further study, I have ordered a 77 mix rod 7.5 inches, some 75 mix beads, and a large 31 mix toroid. That should give me adequate options for a good filament choke. I think that 20ga enameled wire filament leads should be adequate for a single 813. Is there any reason that I should avoid cloth or plastic covered filament leads?

Does anyone know where I can find published data on operating conditions for an 813 in GG service? Specifically, what kind of input impedance can I expect? I guess I should shoot for a choke impedance 10X the tube input impedance. Is that correct?

One more thing, I want to leave the plate voltage on continuously. Can I do this with all the grids at DC ground, or would I need to put the control grid at RF ground only and add some negative control grid bias? Plate voltage will be around 2000.

Thanks again,
Ron

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 07:12:43 AM »

Are you going to run it as a tetrode or strapped as a triode?

As a tetrode, yes.  You'll need to put some cut off bias in.  How you do that is up to you.

As a triode, you lift the cathode connection on rx.  Usually the CT of the filaments.  10k resistor to ground, shorted out on TX.

With tetrode connected you'll need to either lift the cathode or increase the negative grid bias.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015