The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:56:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NiftyTool.  (Read 763 times)
KD1SH

« on: October 23, 2023, 04:00:13 PM »

Over the last couple of weeks, working on the power supply for my Raytrack amplifier (see my post in the technical section), I used a great many ring and spade crimp-on lugs in the low-voltage and primary wiring. I've got a good quality hand crimp tool, which makes very secure crimps. After a week or so of that, I noticed some discomfort in the tendons of my forearms, which at first I blamed on something I might have been doing wrong in my exercise routine—maybe I was gripping the bar wrong, or too tightly, or having my wrists at the wrong angle—and I even bought myself a new pull-down bar, with "D" handles on the ends, to put my wrists in a more comfortable position.
  Anyway, it took me a while to figure it out—duh!—but it was all those crimps; nothing to do with my workout routine, which hasn't changed much in years. So, I ordered myself this, from eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/403261102077
  Yeah, it's very obviously Chicom, although the label says it was designed in America, but it's got a very solid, heavy feel; seems well constructed, and although I haven't used it for very long yet, it works very well, making very secure crimps. (Beware: there's a cheaper version that only comes with one set of dies; likely not the ones most of us would use.)
  Amazon has a nice looking hand-held pneumatic one, but I didn't want to be tied to my compressor hose in case I'm working outside my shop.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015