The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:52:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best HF AM Tube Radio for Communications  (Read 1353 times)
n8fvj

« on: August 18, 2023, 08:43:05 AM »

For AM Ham radio communications a quality radio is required. A five tube radio is not going to perform well. A quality radio is required to hear about everyone on the Ham radio Nets. Price wise a quality tube radio starts at about $300. So, what is the best tube radio for the cost?

IMO the Collins 51J-3/R-388 cannot be beat for the cost. I find these R-388 for $300 at times and you may have to pay more. The receiver is dual conversion. It is the same basic design as the over $1K priced Collins 51J-4 less the mechanical filters. The R-388 has permeability tuning receiver sections that are far superior to the standard receiver design. In fact, it is a brilliant design and a large departure from the standard receiver. The R-388 is a reasonable 61 lbs.

After all the years these radios do not require an alignment for good reception. The radios remain close to the original alignment. The 'dogbone' capacitors usually test good. The electrolytic power supply capacitor is a plug-in type and available from Hayseed for $32.95. Change this capacitor out and C215 & C216. One area of concern is the separation of the tuning slugs and screw. A drop of Super Glue gel is the solution. Do not use non gel Super Glue as it could dangerously run past the slug and freeze up the slug ruining the radio.

Te R-388 has 18 tubes and a well performing 6AK5 RF tube. This RF tube has a transconductance of 5100 or hot enough for 10 meters quality reception. The radio has three stages of IF for reasonable selectivity. The days of crowded bands is gone thus crystal and mechanical filters are not needed in most cases. Plus non IF crystal or mechanical filter selectivity usually sounds a bit better. This is also very quiet receiver with minimal background noise. The dial is spread out enough to find any frequency, so not issue here. The radio has a built-in crystal calibrator. The antenna input is the standard 50 ohm.

The R-388 uses a 6AQ5 audio output tube for plenty of audio power at 2.5 watts. It has a 4 ohm audio tap for the standard speaker.

More info on this radio is at this site: https://radioblvd.com/collins_r388_and_51j_series.htm
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 01:34:21 AM »

Other factors that are worth considering are the type of bandpass filter, whether it be LC, mechanical, or crystal. Old mechanical filters do not sound clean after they have deteriorated for decades. If they have been replaced by relatively new ones, the price goes up.

I seldom use the receiver's audio output amp for driving a speaker. The communications-designed circuits in tube radios are better run at lower power than needed for a speaker, and an external hi-fi amp and good speaker used, except for really old units like the SX-28, which is too old to be on a modern list unless an aspect of the list is SWL fidelity which amateurs sometimes include.

For ham use, I prefer the R-390, if not that one then the -A but it has mechanical filters. The Sunair GSB-900 series is also excellent. I've had great success with the 75A2 though I prefer full coverage tuning on general principles. The R-392 is a very good set as well for those who can supply 27VDC.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
n8fvj

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 05:43:31 AM »

I agree the R-390 is the best radio one can buy. About $600 on up.
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 08:15:50 PM »

Knight Kit Star Roamer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015