The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:35:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moxboro.  (Read 1650 times)
KD1SH

« on: August 12, 2023, 01:01:20 PM »

The Northeast HamXposition, formerly in Boxboro but now moved to Marlboro (thus, Moxboro), in two weeks: August 25th, 26th, and 27th. It's usually a very good show; hope to seem some AM regulars there.

https://hamxposition.org/

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 04:26:23 PM »

Went up this morning; got there just after noon (Friday opening time is noon). Drizzle; hard rain; drizzle; more hard rain—outdoor flea-market pretty much a washout. Weather forecast looks better for Saturday. I'll be up there around 07:00 and see what happens.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 06:01:14 PM »

Was going to go, but saw the weather forecast and decided it wasn't worth the 5 hour 1 way drive. Looks like early Saturday morning has rain but "clears out" later in the morning.  Sunday looks like a good day.

More then 1/2 of the inside exhibitors I've never heard of. No Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, HRO, Flex on the exhibitor list. Where has the love gone?  Roll Eyes This location is even closer to the airport.

I think we have at least 6 more hamfests in NJ through the end of October. Even more, if you take some baby steps across the state lines.

My friend, whose estate I'm managing, left me a number of plastic and glass small parts holders/collectors. And, she had a number of different sizes and colors. They even have small cutouts on the edges to hold parts while soldering. These should be a hit at the hamfests.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 06:19:46 PM »

It's a good show, Pete, but five hours each way—I can't say it's worth that on a rainy day. It's only just over an hour for me, otherwise I wouldn't have driven up there knowing that the weather wasn't looking good.
  I'm surprised, too, that Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu didn't make the show this year; they've been there in the past. HRO has a local branch in Salem, NH, just an hour or so up the highway, so I'm surprised they weren't there. Quicksilver is local here in CT, and they're a pretty good operation.
  Sunday looks to be the best day of the weekend, weather-wise, but I've heard that most of the flea-market vendors clear out on Saturday.

Was going to go, but saw the weather forecast and decided it wasn't worth the 5 hour 1 way drive. Looks like early Saturday morning has rain but "clears out" later in the morning.  Sunday looks like a good day.

More then 1/2 of the inside exhibitors I've never heard of. No Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, HRO, Flex on the exhibitor list. Where has the love gone?  Roll Eyes This location is even closer to the airport.

I think we have at least 6 more hamfests in NJ through the end of October. Even more, if you take some baby steps across the state lines.

My friend, whose estate I'm managing, left me a number of plastic and glass small parts holders/collectors. And, she had a number of different sizes and colors. They even have small cutouts on the edges to hold parts while soldering. These should be a hit at the hamfests.

W1ITT

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 07:03:25 PM »

As for the dearth of the big companies exhibiting at this hamfest, it's getting harder for companies to justify the expense of sending exhibit materials, paying the fees on site, and sending personnel and paying their room and meals.  And last weekend was Huntsville.  If you look at the Huntville dealer list you see the full complement.
https://hamfest.org/202x-dealer-list
Evidently, they all have taken to hitting Dayton, Huntsville, Orlando, maybe one of the Texas or West Coast events and calling it good enough.  Over a decade and a half ago, when I was one-third of the Hosstraders hamfest, I started losing some of our exhibitors because they told me that they actually made more money on their online sites over the weekend, with no effort, than they did at the hamfest after renting and filling a box truck and dragging themselves and an employee or so up the road.   Any business has to look at what works and weed out what doesn't.  But it's too bad that a two-division convention, in the back yard of the League, can't get enough commercial exhibitors to make things more interesting.   As for HRO, remember that their nearby store is in beautiful tax-free New Hampshire, but Massachusetts would make them charge sales tax so there;s no advantage to be had there. This is the new world. 
73 de Norm W1ITT
KD1SH

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »

Yes indeed, that's why I like to make at least one pilgrimage to Salem toward the end of the year. Someday Massachusetts and Connecticut will find a way to circumvent the tax escape, but for now, I'll take advantage of it.

As for HRO, remember that their nearby store is in beautiful tax-free New Hampshire, but Massachusetts would make them charge sales tax so there;s no advantage to be had there. This is the new world. 
73 de Norm W1ITT

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »

It's a good show, Pete, but five hours each way—I can't say it's worth that on a rainy day. It's only just over an hour for me, otherwise I wouldn't have driven up there knowing that the weather wasn't looking good.
  I'm surprised, too, that Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu didn't make the show this year; they've been there in the past. HRO has a local branch in Salem, NH, just an hour or so up the highway, so I'm surprised they weren't there. Quicksilver is local here in CT, and they're a pretty good operation.
  Sunday looks to be the best day of the weekend, weather-wise, but I've heard that most of the flea-market vendors clear out on Saturday.

I use to go to Boxboro; I think I started in the early 90's. At that time, it was every two years and I would stay at the Holiday Inn  and leave Sunday morning after a slow walk through what was left of the flea market.

There are some pictures floating around the Internet with me at my flea market spaces. Plus, for several years, when KJI Electronics use to sell inside, I would support him with all the Nifty Accessories he might need through the weekend.

But, with cost of travel (gas and tolls), food and lodging, space costs, got to have a drink or two, etc. it wasn't worth the time or expense. I can dump my "electronic" odds and ends stuff at the local hamfests, and if doesn't move, it goes to recycling. Driving several hundred miles to sell $50 or $100 worth of stuff isn't worth it. And, if I need something, the Internet is just a few clicks away. I do like to go to the local hamfests mainly to support the clubs that run them whether I'm selling or not.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KD1SH

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 05:41:38 PM »

Vastly better day today; even got some color on my forearms and the back of my neck. A little slow on the sunscreen, I guess. A few empty spaces—I suppose the weather forecast and this summer's past performance scared a few away—but it was really quite a good turnout.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015