The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:43:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MY TOP TEN (DESKTOP) TRANSMITTERS  (Read 2530 times)
n8fvj

« on: August 08, 2023, 02:17:15 PM »

But the whole JOHNNY NOVICE'S RECEIVER GUIDE series is based mostly on large dollops of subjective opinion mixed with facts, so I'm sure there is wiggle room here. And you could solicit the opinions of others with direct experience with the xmtrs in question.

For example:

TOP TEN (DESKTOP) TRANSMITTERS

10 - Collins 32v3 - expensive, needs mods to de-yellify, but hey, it's a Collins

9- B&W 5100 - simple, built like a tank, heavyweight iron

8- Multi Elmac AF 68 - electrically similar to Ranger, but ugly as sin

7- Hallicrafters HT37 - fun, but prone to transformer failure

6 - Heath DX 40/DX60 - screen modulated, can be de-yellified

5- Valiant - take out the clipper, it's a classic

4 - Viking II - tank-like contruction, needs de-yellification

3 - Heath Apache - easy to de-scratch-ify

2 - DX-100 - a favorite despite some shortcomings

1 - Ranger - nice stock audio but low power is a drag, still, it's THE classic.

I have another opinion and here is my list.
10- B&W 5100  goofy modulation design
9- Hallicrafters HT-37 low level modulation
8- Mutli Elmac AF-67 & AF-68 needs output network modified for 50 ohm antenna & external PS
7 Heathkit Apache arcing at mod tubes, needs over stressed 6146 replaced with costly 6293 tubes
6 Heathkit DX-100 needs over stressed 6146 replaced with costly 6293, only low of 200Hz audio
5 Valiant- cannot make clean 100% mod at full power out. Buy a Viking II instead
4 Heathkit DX-40/DX-60 low power, low level modulation, but can produce 20Hz audio with modifications
3 Johnson Ranger- 400Hz at 100% mod, use Heyboer mod xfmr for 100Hz audio. Fails more than Viking II
2 Collins 32V-3 good transmitter in stock form. Produces 150Hz audio from large mod transformer
1 Johnson Viking II best transmitter ever made per Wireless Girl. Large 5 lb mod iron plays to 150 Hz @ 100% mod
n8fvj

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 07:33:59 PM »

Lack of VFO, but I placed four xtals on the popular 75 and 40 meter frequencies and did not miss a VFO. Now those frequencies are not found in a crystal. I rebuilt the Viking II and sold it to a Ham that drove from PA to MI to pick up. He did not trust the mail. Like those 807s mod tubes that take 750 volts plate.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »

Lack of VFO, but I placed four xtals on the popular 75 and 40 meter frequencies and did not miss a VFO. Now those frequencies are not found in a crystal. I rebuilt the Viking II and sold it to a Ham that drove from PA to MI to pick up. He did not trust the mail. Like those 807s mod tubes that take 750 volts plate.

Should we assume you're talking about a Johnson Viking II since you didn't mention it.

You said above: "I placed four xtals on the popular 75 and 40 meter frequencies and did not miss a VFO. Now those frequencies are not found in a crystal."
Can you explain to the readers what these statements mean?

You said above: "Like those 807s mod tubes that take 750 volts plate."
If we're talking about a Johnson Viking II, Page 3 of the Viking II manual states plate voltage for the 807 modulators is 630 volts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
n8fvj

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »

Should we assume you're talking about a Johnson Viking II since you didn't mention it.

You said above: "I placed four xtals on the popular 75 and 40 meter frequencies and did not miss a VFO. Now those frequencies are not found in a crystal."
Can you explain to the readers what these statements mean?

You said above: "Like those 807s mod tubes that take 750 volts plate."
If we're talking about a Johnson Viking II, Page 3 of the Viking II manual states plate voltage for the 807 modulators is 630 volts.

Peter reread the post. no one else is confused. It states I sold it (the Viking II). As for the 807 tube again no one else is confused. I quoted the 807 tubes maximum plate voltage, not the Viking II applied 807 plate voltage. I could find popular 75 and 40 meter crystals a few years ago on eBay. Now, they are rarely if ever advertised. So, as stated I cannot find the crystals.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 09:39:26 PM »

Peter reread the post. no one else is confused. It states I sold it (the Viking II). As for the 807 tube again no one else is confused. I quoted the 807 tubes maximum plate voltage, not the Viking II applied 807 plate voltage. I could find popular 75 and 40 meter crystals a few years ago on eBay. Now, they are rarely if ever advertised. So, as stated I cannot find the crystals.
"no one else is confused"  Grin  Did you take a quiet survey?  Grin  remember "it"  Grin

If you're going to quote "maximum plate voltage" then you should state the voltage is maximum plate voltage.

As I type 9:26PM, 8/8/23 - 80 meter crystals from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=80+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=40+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_osacat=0

As I type 9:28PM, 8/8/23: 40 meter crystals from ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=40+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=80+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_osacat=0

If the 80 meter crystals are 3rd overtone type, they will multiply up  fine to the higher frequencies (40M, 20M, etc.)
There are lots of swap and shop, for sale/wanted, etc. web sites and forums where FT-243 type crystals for amateur frequencies can pop up. Ebay isn't the only place where you can find stuff.

n8fvj

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 09:47:03 PM »

"no one else is confused"  Grin  Did you take a quiet survey?  Grin  remember "it"  Grin

If you're going to quote "maximum plate voltage" then you should state the voltage is maximum plate voltage.

As I type 9:26PM, 8/8/23 - 80 meter crystals from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=80+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=40+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_osacat=0

As I type 9:28PM, 8/8/23: 40 meter crystals from ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=40+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=80+meter+amateur+radio+crystals&_osacat=0

If the 80 meter crystals are 3rd overtone type, they will multiply up  fine to the higher frequencies (40M, 20M, etc.)
There are lots of swap and shop, for sale/wanted, etc. web sites and forums where FT-243 type crystals for amateur frequencies can pop up. Ebay isn't the only place where you can find stuff.

Pete, I did quote 807 plate voltage, only you are confused.  No one hangs out of those crystal frequencies for sale on eBay on AM voice as you listed. No one will hear you, Xtals are worthless. 75 meters AM main frequency is 3885 KHz. As stated I could buy 3885 KHz a few years ago, not now. Why post that rubbish for sale? Stop pretending to be confused as you state on many of my posts. I am done here.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 03:08:10 AM »

If the 80 meter crystals are 3rd overtone type, they will multiply up  fine to the higher frequencies (40M, 20M, etc.)

Pete, I did quote 807 plate voltage, only you are confused.  No one hangs out of those crystal frequencies for sale on eBay on AM voice as you listed. No one will hear you, Xtals are worthless. 75 meters AM main frequency is 3885 KHz. As stated I could buy 3885 KHz a few years ago, not now. Why post that rubbish for sale? Stop pretending to be confused as you state on many of my posts. I am done here.
Actually, I believe you are confused that I am confused but I'll let that go because confusion can be the mother of all anguish and delusion in one's mind.

Anyway, see the picture below. First ebay click on a batch of 80 meter crystals from the link I listed. A 3885 KHz crystal in the batch.

Over the years, most AM'ers have expanded their operating movements around the amateur bands. We don't just operate on 3885. You'll find AM activity on a regular basis. around 3695, 3705, 3715,3725, 3735, 3810, 3836, 3873, 3880, and even above 3900. On 40 meters activity can be on 7290, but also on 7295, 7280, 7285, and even down on 7160. On 20 meters, most of us have abandoned the 14.286 MHz calling frequency and moved to around 14.330 MHz. On 15 meters, you'll find AM operation anywhere between 21.410 and 21.440 MHz. Of course on 10 meters, we have 29.0 to 29.2 MHz to play AM without SSB or other interference except for maybe Russian cabdrivers, and guys in fishing boats.

AM operation is not channelized. We can operate AM in any amateur band phone portion that our license allows us to operate.

Crystal operation can be "fun" if you're operating QRP or if you crave "good old days" nostalgia but VFO's allow the freedom to move around the band freely without having to apologize to other stations that you're working, that you can't  quite get on frequency because you're crystal controlled. Cheesy

* ebay_xtal.jpg (107.59 KB, 1118x742 - viewed 93 times.)

n8fvj

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 04:48:49 AM »

The 3885 crystal that showed up from the 1000s of crystals on eBay was sold long ago and seller is only offering other non AM 40 meter frequencies from a lot of crystals. It clearly states 'Out of Stock'. Here is ebay listing you conveniently did not post: 285183238710
Again, no 3885 crystals Pete. On most of the 80 meters frequencies you state that has activity I heard very little over the years. The 75 meter AM window is 3880 to 3890 and I suspect at least 95% of 75 meter AM activity is 3880 to 3890 KHz.

Why do you enjoy attacking my posts Pete? No one else here has attacked my posts. You do not believe my posts have value? I believe my posts are fun to read and some have tech info never posted by anyone else before such as BC-348 Antenna Mod and Johnson Ranger Modulation Transformer mod (internal to Ranger). And, your post totally dismissing the AM- COMM DNR performance that produces a night and day difference for most Hams ears on AM receive with most receivers. That bad advice from you is a disservice to others Pete IMO. Hey, at least Pete has not banned me from this site.

Note- human ears have built-in noise reduction. It is most evident when in a loud restaurant when you can clearly hear others at your table and do not notice others speaking in the restaurant. As one gets older you can lose that rejection ability and have trouble clearly hearing others at your table due to the background noise, yet still have a good hearing range from 20Hz to 10KHz. Thus, the AM-COMM performance will vary, but with my poor rejection ears it makes a huge difference. Pete must have Super ears rejecting the AM-COMM performance. That does not mean your ears are Super ears that Pete apparently has and he believes everyone else has. Simply short sightedness on Pete's part. However, it does not mean Pete's evaluation of the AM-COMM performance is not wrong per his hearing as he states the AM-COMM does about nothing. Apparently Pete could get by with a Hallicrafters S-120 or S-38, but most of you could not.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 04:45:18 PM »

What are the rules? Would a Super Senior qualify? I talk to people all the time who have them. They sound great. People who would otherwise be using SSB transceivers  on AM  often with mixed results deliver fabulous AM signals with them.

If they don't have to be commercial products, I'd put anything you build yourself at the #1 spot.

W1GFH

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 05:32:56 PM »

What are the rules? Would a Super Senior qualify? I talk to people all the time who have them. They sound great. People who would otherwise be using SSB transceivers  on AM  often with mixed results deliver fabulous AM signals with them.

If they don't have to be commercial products, I'd put anything you build yourself at the #1 spot.

Hiya Jon. Hope all the folks on 3870 doing well.

I would think the TOP TEN rules should stipulate naming transmitters the poster has had some personal experience with, either having owned one or having helped a friend with or simply listened to many people's first hand experience with. I believe Johnny Novice's original receiver TOP TEN adhered to that standard.

And by the way, my original TOP TEN XMTRS post was a "For example" to encourage a new post by JN, not an actual list from my own experience.
n8fvj

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 07:41:43 PM »

I would think the TOP TEN rules should stipulate naming transmitters the poster has had some personal experience with, either having owned one or having helped a friend with or simply listened to many people's first hand experierience
W1GFH, who says I have not owned various transmitters? I being the poster owned all except an Apache and B&W 5100. Frankly, all transmitters worked well enough. But, I listed the design from great to not so great plus repair difficulties (internet posts) and using the transmitter does not sort out the design. None sounded bad on the air.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 08:29:22 PM »

What are the rules? Would a Super Senior qualify? I talk to people all the time who have them. They sound great. People who would otherwise be using SSB transceivers  on AM  often with mixed results deliver fabulous AM signals with them.

As we are in mid-2023, I agree that Super Senior transmitters and other solid-state transceivers like the Apache Labs rigs and Flex Radio rigs sound good, if not better, then the amateur rigs that came off the assembly line 60 to 70 plus years ago. With some extensive mods, some of these early tube rigs can be made to sound good if you have the time and patience and can deal with periodic maintenance. Some of the broadcast transmitters that have been retired can be made to sound great without a lot modifications.

With the implementation of DSP circuitry in many of the Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu transceivers over the  last 10 or more years, even they can sound great on AM without any modification(or very little).

SO, if you ask 100 users of AM tube or solid-state transmitters as to their opinion of the “TOP” “BEST” “FANTASTIC”, etc. rigs for AM, you’ll most likely get a 100 different answers. Review and comparison of all the specs, the features, the cosmetics (of course, some don’t care if the rig is “ugly”) are also important in giving an opinion.

The 70's, 80's and 90's of the 20th century (boatanchor flea market/hamfest bonanza - selling cheap or giving it away) are gone forever. We're in the 21st century where amateur radio technology continues to match on. We need stuff for digital AM:
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/ham_radio/voice-modes/digital-voice-summary.php

Even back in 2003 "digital audio for amateur radio": http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/x0301049.pdf

n8fvj

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 09:03:28 PM »

As we are in mid-2023, I agree that Super Senior transmitters and other solid-state transceivers like the Apache Labs rigs and Flex Radio rigs sound good, if not better, then the amateur rigs that came off the assembly line 60 to 70 plus years ago. With some extensive mods, some of these early tube rigs can be made to sound good if you have the time and patience and can deal with periodic maintenance. Some of the broadcast transmitters that have been retired can be made to sound great without a lot modifications.

With the implementation of DSP circuitry in many of the Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu transceivers over the  last 10 or more years, even they can sound great on AM without any modification(or very little).

SO, if you ask 100 users of AM tube or solid-state transmitters as to their opinion of the “TOP” “BEST” “FANTASTIC”, etc. rigs for AM, you’ll most likely get a 100 different answers. Review and comparison of all the specs, the features, the cosmetics (of course, some don’t care if the rig is “ugly”) are also important in giving an opinion.

The 70's, 80's and 90's of the 20th century (boatanchor flea market/hamfest bonanza - selling cheap or giving it away) are gone forever. We're in the 21st century where amateur radio technology continues to match on. We need stuff for digital AM:
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/ham_radio/voice-modes/digital-voice-summary.php

Even back in 2003 "digital audio for amateur radio": http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/x0301049.pdf
My post is for tube type. Should have posted Tube. I prefer the fun of vintage equipment on AM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015