The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:16:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NJ Antique Radio Club  (Read 1859 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: July 19, 2023, 03:01:26 PM »

If you were bummed out with all the rain this past Sunday and didn't attend the Sussex Hamfest and maybe still have a ton of stuff  you would like to sell, give-away, trade, etc., or need a fix to buy some electronic stuff to diddle with, the NJ Antique Radio Club is holding their swap meet and hamfest this coming Saturday, 7/22/2023.

I will be there and I'll have two file boxes of original manuals going for a $1 each regarding of how big or small they are. I also will have a bunch of electronic items from an estate where you pretty much name your own price. All monies collected from my friend's estate stuff will be donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

I just got off the phone with Gene at KJI Electronics and he will be there too with all his radio stuff. First time for him to be there.
Weather channel says cloudy with partial sun and a balmy 84 degrees.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 07:16:28 AM »

We are thinking alike for all the same reasons. I’m planning on attending, and I hear they have an interesting museum there also.
kC2VDM

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 09:04:55 AM »

I'll be there, Now with twice the dough since Sussex didn't pan out for me this year!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 09:16:52 PM »

Well, I have to admit, this was a fun hamfest morning. Most of the vendors (and there seemed to be a lot of them) were under the shade of trees and a great breeze most of the morning. Some of the vendor space was taken by a roped off transport plane. My understanding was that the plane was disassembled somewhere; and the pieces were brought to the area (the InfoAge museum is in the same area) and then reassembled. Don't now how long it will be parked there. I was told that it has no motors. But the grassy flea market area is huge, so there still was a lot of space.
I sold a number of items and my friend's estate items also sold well. I was happy about that. I even sold her microwave oven  Cheesy
My $1 each original manuals also sold well  Grin amateurs are easy to predict  Grin Hopefully now that I'm behind my hernia operation recuperation period (don't lift heavy things or boxes), maybe the next set of hamfests (Jersey has a few  Grin we like to get out and buy other people's stuff or at least rummage through it) I'll bring the much larger and heavier $1 each replicated vintage manual boxes.

It actually felt great to get out and talk face to face with people today. Met a customer from CT whom I haven't seen or talked to in about 25 to 30 years plus a number of local folks I haven't seen or talked  in a year or two.

Plus the Jersey shore is just minutes away; what's not to like. Sand,surf, great restaurants, postcard attractions walking the boardwalk, and the smell of the ocean.
On the way home stopped off at the well known Jersey shore Pete and Elda's Bar/Carmen's Pizzeria in Neptune City and had their famous thin crust pizza. They have been there for over 50 years. Great pizza. I was going to travel down to Point Pleasant Beach to the Shrimp Box restaurant(this is a great place for sea food or a gigantic burger) but I didn't want to get hung up in traffic which looked rather heavy as I traveled out of the hamfest on to the main highway.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 08:27:39 PM »

My first time attending this event. So much to see at this facility. They have a technology museum, a computer museum, the antique radio assn, model railroad area and much more. This is an excellent day trip. All hands on exhibits with restored items. They also have the 36 ft dish which the y use to work moon bounce on 1296. I believe the area is open from 12-5 every Saturday.

I did very well, sold almost everything I brought
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 10:06:40 PM »

My first time attending this event. So much to see at this facility. They have a technology museum, a computer museum, the antique radio assn, model railroad area and much more. This is an excellent day trip. All hands on exhibits with restored items. They also have the 36 ft dish which the y use to work moon bounce on 1296. I believe the area is open from 12-5 every Saturday.

I did very well, sold almost everything I brought

Where were you selling? I was next to KJI Electronics (on the left side (the plane side)).

Back several years ago, there was a "return to the moon" on 1296 MHZ at Cape Evans/Fort Monmouth site, just down the street from the hamfest. It was a joint operation between a local radio club, OMARC, and Princeton University. OMARC use to hold their twice a year hamfests on the same property adjacent to the antenna. I remember a few times, especially if you were somewhat adjacent/under the antenna area doing your hamfest business and someone would kick the antenna into rotation mode. Not very fast but noisy if you were close to the antenna.

https://isec.space/project-diana-the-return-to-the-moon/

The vintage computer flea market will be held in October just down the road from where we were on Saturday. They have one in the Spring (I was amazed how many vendors they had there and a good number of potential buyers) and the one in the Fall.

The Garden State ARC (GSARC) will hold their hamfest in Tinton Falls (adjacent to Wall township) on 9/23/23. Attendance varies but generally a good turn out. Couple of years ago got a IC-756 for free there. Had a corrupted screen but received and transmitted fine. Owner didn't want to deal with it anymore and was going to put it to the curb for trash pickup. Also found a rare McMurdo Silver regen receiver there.

The OMARC group moved their hamfest to Spring Lake Heights (some just call it Spring Lake). Attendance hasn't been as great as the Cape Evans/Fort Monmouth site but still some good stuff to be found and/or sold. I found a Squires Sanders SS-1R receiver there several hamfests ago for $75.

kC2VDM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 01:06:17 PM »

I had a great time there Saturday Morning, I've never been to the NJARC Hamfest until now but I've gone to VCF East several times over the years. Didn't recognize anybody from my local club, but that's ok, still lots of friendly folks there. The museum is one of my favorites, although I didn't have time to walk around it this weekend. I found a Kenwood TM-261 for my recently licensed nephew Jonathan, a Hallicrafters S-36 to restore, some good books, and a few other goodies. Looking forward to the next one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015