The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:39:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New England Wireless and Steam Museum Hamfest.  (Read 972 times)
KD1SH

« on: July 18, 2023, 11:51:05 AM »

This coming Saturday at the New England Wireless and Steam Museum in East Greenwich, RI. I've never been to the museum, and I love old steam machinery and such, so there's an added attraction. The flyer doesn't mention it, but the gates open by 07:30 for vendor set up.

https://newsm.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/NEWSM-Radio-Tune-Up-2023-Flyer.pdf

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 06:38:12 PM »

Well, it was great day, overall, although the vendor turnout was a bit disappointing considering that the event was blessed with all too rare—for this summer—fantastic weather. I hear that it's the first time in many years that this event has been held, so maybe when the word gets around, next year's turnout will be better.
   The museum itself is incredible; worth the trip in itself. The display of working stationary steam engines is even better than I'd imagined—the hiss of steam and the click-clack of the valves and the smell of hot lubricating oil—and the radio museum is very impressive, with examples of everything from spark-gap transmitters to military gear and commercial broadcast. They've done a great job of setting up informative displays built around the careers of greats like Armstrong and Fessenden, complete with excellent old photographs and artifacts.
   I definitely plan on going back later on this summer or fall, and to next year's hamfest.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 05:18:39 AM »

Glad you were able to discover the W&SM Bill.  It’s a real gem.  I didn’t realize they were going to have the boiler lit and steam up.  The big fall steam up event usually happens late
In September or early October.  If you are into steam power, another great fall destination is Clyde’s Cider Mill down here in Old Mystic, CT.  They’ve been running their cider press with a stationary 19th century steam engine ever since that era.  Try to get there early in the day, it’s become a wildly popular destination in leaf peeping season.  And they make and sell wicked good hard cider as well as the kid’s stuff.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015