The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:01:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HV Connectors  (Read 3199 times)
ko4nrbs

« on: July 09, 2023, 12:07:36 PM »

What connectors are best for connecting an external HV power supply to an amplifier?
Bill KO4NR
KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »

Before making any decisions, I suggest a thorough reading of this thread:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=44457.0
A lot of good information, as well as a valuable cautionary tale.

[Edited today: my original link would take you to page 2 of that thread, bypassing crucial stuff on the 1st page.]

What connectors are best for connecting an external HV power supply to an amplifier?
Bill KO4NR

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
ko4nrbs

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 05:37:58 PM »

Thank you!!
Bill KO4NR
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 01:00:41 AM »

OOPS

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 01:07:31 AM »

I used what are essentially 5KV versions of BNC connectors.  They're all over ebay for about 4 bucks each.  Of course you have to buy both male and female.

I also used the ancient pin jacks on my EFJ 500.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 07:53:14 AM »

The stuff I’ve built or rebuilt with a separate power supply, I’ve only used the SHV connectors. Millen connectors or other archaic mis-applied connectors used for multiple kilovolt connections have always scared me, so I don’t use them…

To avoid the issue mentioned above with the HV cable shield being the return/negative line, which can lead to dangerous situations, I use a second interconnect that carries a heavy ground wire as well as the control for the HV supply..it won’t turn on or stay on if that cable isnt connected. I use a locking, line-rated, UL listed connector on this cable. That way, the shield connection is never breaking the circuit unless the supply is already both turned off and control disconnected. There’s no local switch on the PSU to independently turn it on, either.

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 10:02:42 AM »

KD1SH covered it well with Shane's mishap. Learn from other's experiences, albeit good or bad! RF Parts has those Millen type connectors listed for 7KV @2A. Personally, I wouldn't trust them much above 2KV. Mike, KE0Z has it right. Those HV connectors are a good sub. I need to get some more RG-58 to complete the remainder of my HV connections.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k3msb

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 11:03:51 AM »

A timely thread.

I'm currently addressing how to get the 2 KV from my HB power supply to my TBW transmitter.   I have a few questions but want to review some other related threads first.  The more I think I know, the more questions I have.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
KD1SH

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »

And...the wrong way to do it. Home-brew power supply and amplifier I acquired recently. The exposed 240 VAC terminals alone ought to be enough to give anyone nightmares, but those big ceramic insulators — 4KV at 3 amps! This guy used some good design practice in some areas, but in others, not so much. When you pick up old HB gear, never underestimate the insanity some builders are capable of.

* PS_Rear.JPG (135.28 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 151 times.)

* Amp_Rear.JPG (166.91 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 149 times.)

K9MB

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 03:05:45 PM »

And...the wrong way to do it. Home-brew power supply and amplifier I acquired recently. The exposed 240 VAC terminals alone ought to be enough to give anyone nightmares, but those big ceramic insulators — 4KV at 3 amps! This guy used some good design practice in some areas, but in others, not so much. When you pick up old HB gear, never underestimate the insanity some builders are capable of.

I bought something similar. The guy had a couple of lucite rectangles as safety features. 🙄😬🤪
I was lucky to get 600 volts across hand to hand and staggered backward as I began to black out and got off it. My chest hurt for a month. Not sure why I wasn’t dead, but it was a great cure for thoughtless stupidity. Still worked with much higher voltages and one of my OM mentors showed me once how 4500 volts can jump and arc with no contact necessary. Still keep one hand in my back pocket even when using HV probes…
Call it fear or respect, but abominations like this can kill. Good practice does not take much more effort, but not being fried is good motivation…😉
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 03:24:16 PM »

7-16 DIN connectors.  Rated for HV, cheap on the Bay.

They come in chassis or cable usage, male or female.

Hard to kill yourself with them.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 03:47:59 PM »

While recently unscrewing a Millen connector, as it was turned, the HV wire just came out of it. Apparently the solder connection in the end had broken loose. over time. Mainly pointing to connectors that do not use some sort of force to retain the wire/cable inside the body.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
km6sn
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 05:16:30 AM »

Egads! 4KV at 3A! That is 12 KW!!!!!
KD1SH

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 08:56:46 AM »

It's a big Peter Dahl Hipersil transformer, with encapsulated rectifiers and oil filled caps. Very nice build other than the exposed terminals. It runs a pair of 8877's/YU158's.

Egads! 4KV at 3A! That is 12 KW!!!!!

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 11:21:31 AM »

Life's too short for QRP.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA3EKH

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2023, 03:19:27 PM »

I did a TBW about fifteen years ago and have a video of it over on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd4gPNGNYRU

The original design used a weird three pin ceramic plug, the filament, screen and +500 volts all come in on the big Bakelite connect next to it and you can use banana jacks that fit right over the pins to keep that all original. I had a 2-kV power supply that was under the rack that was connected by a chunk of RG-58 with crimp on connectors on the shield and center conductor that was attached to the screw terminals on the filter capacitor in the power supply and connected directly to C327 or C336 on the HV side of the plate tank and did not attempt to use the original HV plug on the bottom of the transmitter.
Are you going to use screen modulation like the original design or high-level modulation?
Do you have the center section?

k3msb

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2023, 01:45:27 PM »

Ray --

I'm starting a new thread in the Military Radio section and will answer your question there.

73 Mark K3MSB
York, PA
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2023, 02:09:59 PM »

Under 2500VDC I've used teflon UHF connectors with great success. Of course you gotta use a  suitable wire with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015