The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:45:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2023 photos - Fair Radio and Dayton hamfest  (Read 2725 times)
K4NYW
Contributing

« on: May 20, 2023, 07:19:02 PM »

2023 photos - Fair Radio and Dayton hamfest
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ibr3ff7UsdC7n7U8

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 06:54:39 PM »

Wow!!

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 08:54:11 PM »

Looks like a good turn out at the Flea. Last yer was sort of disappointing.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »

WA1KPD said:
Looks like a good turn out at the Flea. Last yer was sort of disappointing.
I didn't make it to Xenia but at least it was good meeting up with you at Kutztown, Carl. I met up with Tom, WA3KLR later and told him you were there. I hope he was able to see you.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KC2ZFA

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 10:41:21 AM »

WOW indeed !

does Fair radio allow on-site shopping ?

Peter
Detroit47

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 02:05:48 PM »

Yes I stop in regularly.

N8QPC
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 03:44:56 PM »

As always.... Enjoy your pictures!! Thanks!!
Detroit47

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 11:54:35 AM »

I had a good time at the Hamvention/ I ran into many old friends. My only complaint was the asphalt they put down a couple years ago has deteriorated, It is now just chunks of rubble that is hard to walk on. Some of us aren't in brand new condition. It wouldn't cost much to put down a real base and resurface it. I mean it isn't like they are't making money. This is supposed to be the premier event.

Johnathan N8QPC
W1ITT

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 02:06:35 PM »

Question for Nick :
I enjoy vicariously hamfesting  through all the various picture sets.  Having been licensed for over 56 years now, it's a walk down memory lane.  But I notice that the majority of what I see in the pictures is 50 years old, if not older.  Is this because these are the items that your camera points itself at?  Or is this what is mostly showing up on hamfest tables ?  I try to look at the background in some of your shots and very rarely see rarely see newer stuff there either.
At the end of the years when we were running Hosstraders hamfest we got the impression that the high value (and lighter, more shippable) items were being sold via online commerce rather than the hamfest scene.  I get the impression that we are all getting old faster than we expected and are all in a hurry to unload the old radios of our youth before we make the journey beyond the ionosphere.
Again, thank you for your photo essays.  It's all good viewing.
73 de Norm W1ITT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 10:24:33 PM »

Very interesting pictures!

Well put observations, Norm...

Much of our "end of life" ham activities and choices are based upon gravity.  Climbing towers and raising big antennas is governed by it. So is maintaining the boat anchors of yesteryear. I'll bet if we lived in a weightless environment, we would continue to float and climb -  and float our big rigs right to the end.

My attitude to holding onto big rigs is this:  Keep them right up to the end. Whomever inherits your house and assets should be charged with liquidating everything including the big towers and antennas. Use some of your money to hire younger people to maintain your stuff if you cannot.    F**k the heirs.    Arnold W2HCW had it right.... near the end they carried him downstairs into the hamshack to operate. A true strapping ham to the end.  His heirs finally dropped his towers to the ground and that was that.

To make it even clearer:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 10:21:28 AM »

Hi Norm - Well, I just snap quick photos with my iPhone while walking through the hamfest. I am fairly selective at concentrating on boatanchors. There are plenty of tables full of 2m repeater equipment, YaeComWood ham gear, Motorola radios, computer stuff, etc. but I just don't bother looking at them or taking photos. I did wander through the indoor areas this year but didn't see anything of interest to me. I hardly ever bothered to go inside at Hara because all the interesting stuff was in the flea market. I post my photos for other folks who also enjoy vintage gear, and who, like me, once upon a time drooled over the Allied catalog and QST, CQ, and 73 ads. And yes, folks are getting older and cleaning house - witness Richard's display of buy-one/get-one-free Rangers and HQ-170s.

YMMV. There are probably other people with photos and videos of the newer stuff who have posted in other venues.

Cheers,
Nick K4NYW

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 10:57:53 AM »

As usual Nick, great browsing with you.

The guy with the 20 Rangers, and 30 Hammarlund HX-170s??

Saved me a lot of driving, and money to just look at ur pix!!
A few items I would have like to come away with - but...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015