The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:18:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brit 80 meter CW transmitter  (Read 855 times)
WA4WAX

« on: May 08, 2023, 01:34:12 PM »

From PW.  It is supposed to key nicely.

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Practical-Wireless/90s/PW-1994-02.pdf
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 04:20:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing this one, Matt.

Looks nice while transmitting, but I immediately observe two issues, both of which may be fixed by one change.

The oscillator seems to run all the time, which would make receiving rather difficult.  Only the final RF amplifier is keyed.  This is fine for stable keying but you would probably never hear the response to your SEE QUEUE.  

The second problem is the HV switch in the power supply.  It switches the final voltage but not the oscillator voltage.  The potential problem (no pun intended) is that the second valve, when the HV switch is off, receives screen voltage, but no plate voltage, a potentially damaging situation to the little screen in that bottle.

By simply relocating the HT switch from the final HT to the stabilised Osc HT, both issues are resolved.  There is really no need to switch the final HT off, with the cathode circuit open during key-up periods.

Edit: Better yet, move the switch to take all HT off the transmitter during receive periods.  The smallish key-click resistor in the cathode circuit is a bit on the light side to idle the final.

I absolutely refuse to get hooked (again) reading every article in every issue because you linked one reference.  That has been a huge time-sink for me, I got in the rut of reading one after another, and it was fun, but it ain't happenin' agin!  Thanks, anyway, OM!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015