The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:46:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow motion capacitor explosion  (Read 977 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: May 01, 2023, 08:55:44 AM »

Most of us have had a capacitor explode now see what it’s like in slow motion …
https://youtu.be/6WUxgmMDts4
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »

I would have liked to had a slo-mo camera in place when that Black Beauty took off while I was upstairs. I came down and found my spectrum analyzer draped in mylar and paper. It wasn't until I saw the shell in the receiver that I realized what had happened! Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 10:57:30 AM »

Deliberately destroying good parts can be educational; not just for the people doing the destruction but for others as well. Many years ago, at my first technician job, myself and another tech in the lab discovered that if you connected an LED to a power supply, and gradually increased the voltage, it would get brighter and brighter, then dimmer and dimmer, and at some point - BANG! - with bits of plastic shrapnel flying everywhere. (we had tons of excess LED's to expend)
  We had this young kid working for us in the stockroom, adjacent to the lab, and we could never convince him to wear his wrist-strap when handling parts. We did the exploding LED trick; the kid comes running into the lab, "What was that? What happened?"
  I said, "John picked up an IC without his strap on," and John, taking the cue, hammed it up, wringing and nursing his "injured' hand.
The kid always wore his wrist-strap after that.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015