The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 11:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orlando hamfest photos  (Read 1704 times)
K4NYW
Contributing

« on: February 12, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »

Orlando hamfest photos
Pretty good turnout of vintage gear and vintage friends.
Photos Thursday afternoon setup and on Friday. We didn't stay for Sat-Sun.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zWfTbkYwJQ63yeFH8

KD1SH

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 12:28:02 PM »

Fun stuff. Thanks -

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 12:42:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing the virtual tour of the Orange County fest.  I enjoyed the journey.  So many photographs!

I got a backache looking at some of the boat anchors, and that is why I dispensed with some of my older treasures.  Now the heavy stuff needs to be either in a rack with wheels, or in someone else's shack!

I have never seen so many R-388 and 51J4 receivers at one fest.  Seems like lots of prices were reasonable, but some folks were very proud of their National NC-300s!

I suppose there would have been many more tailgaters on Saturday, but I had my fill with what you shared from Thu and Fri.  Very nice of you to take the time to capture and post the photos!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KD1SH

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 12:59:32 PM »

That big "4KW Quad Avenger" amp caught my eye. SK-406 chimneys, so probably 3-500's or 4-400's. No band switch; almost certainly a CB amp, so the tubes were probably beat to snot, but it would be a good platform and parts to build something decent.
No metering, either - just tune for max neighbor complaints.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 03:29:58 PM »

Lots of great stuff for picking up and reconditioning.    Offhand, what I would call a "buyer's market."  

Notice the Heathkit color TV kit starting at $500 and later at $300. I'll bet Joe / PJP would have considered that knowing how he loves Heathkits in their original kit form...  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 07:56:55 PM »

Thanks Tom for bringing up bad memories I’ve been trying to suppress for a long time.  Back at URI in the early 70s two of my frat brothers at Phi Kappa Psi, both hams and also EE majors like me, and a couple
years ahead of me, convinced the rest of the brothers of the chapter that it would be a good idea to have them build one of those big Heathkit color TVs, and install it high on the wall of the Chapter Room, which was used as a TV lounge and bar.  The set was mounted on a shelf  on the opposite side of the wall in a one car garage area.  It originally worked OK, but after the builders graduated, I ended up being the guy responsible to keep it working.  It was constantly going out of convergence alignment.  To bring it back in , I would have to pull it back enough on its support shelf to be able to see a portion of the screen reflected in a mirror while
I made adjustments behind the wall in the garage.  I would need to have someone else in the room operate any controls on the front panel. A thankless and never ending task, pretty sure it was replaced shortly after I graduated.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015