The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:07:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Pole antennas  (Read 2008 times)
WA4WAX

« on: December 28, 2022, 10:09:32 AM »

Have a look.........

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-DX/QST/50s/QST-1959-04.pdf
WA4WAX

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 12:27:06 PM »

Yes, these are members of the SCV/half square family.
WD4DMZ

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »

Neat article. What was better was the article starting on the next page that reviews the NC303. About 2 years ago I brought a nice one back to life. Great ham band only radio. It even has the calibrator with the 10 mHz WWV.

Nice piece of documentation to add to the file.

Thanks, Rich
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 09:19:53 PM »

Magical things can happen at quarter wave and half wave antenna world.
Lots of amateurs shunt feed their ground mounted towers.

I know the guy on the front cover. Lived about 1.5 miles from me as the crow flies.
He invented E-ZPass.
Below he's perched on top of his 112 foot tower. When you're 17 or 18, you have no fear.  Cheesy
I don't think he ever tried to shunt feed this tower. The rotator for the tower was mounted below ground.

* k2kgj-3.jpg (78.17 KB, 518x825 - viewed 138 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 10:41:05 PM »

I know the guy on the front cover. Lived about 1.5 miles from me as the crow flies.
He invented E-ZPass.
Below he's perched on top of his 112 foot tower. When you're 17 or 18, you have no fear. 

Pete, it is interesting that you knew Julius.  He and his brother John made a great impact on "Operation Deep Freeze".  Among many other articles about their contributions, I found this video to be extremely interesting:  https://youtu.be/uaTm_LUifUI
IGY was a great motivator!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 01:52:58 AM »

He invented E-ZPass.
Below he's perched on top of his 112 foot tower. When you're 17 or 18, you have no fear. 

Pete, it is interesting that you knew Julius.  He and his brother John made a great impact on "Operation Deep Freeze".  Among many other articles about their contributions, I found this video to be extremely interesting:  https://youtu.be/uaTm_LUifUI
IGY was a great motivator!

As a Novice, One day I had the "pleasure" of standing under that antenna array. If you look close at the picture, you'll see John standing at the base of the antenna. John had moved to Hawaii years ago and actually bought several manuals from me over the years. John was the inventor of the Free-electron laser in the 70's. John passed in July 2016.

When Julius wasn't doing phone patches with Antarctica, John would fire up the  6 meter KW rig (I don't remember if it was a homebrew rig or he was using a 6 meter exciter driving something like a Johnson 6N2 Thunderbolt). They had stacked 6 meter Telrex beams on the tower and at least twice a day, generally around noon and then roughly around 6 PM EST John would get on the air. Back then there were lots of 6 meter activity in all the neighboring towns, but when John fired up and started calling KC4AAA or KC4AAB (or some similar Antarctica call), most 6 meter receivers got totally desensitized while he was transmitting. He did this every day for many months but never made an Antarctica contact on 6.

Julius call was canceled in 2000. Was living in NY state. Don't know if he is still among us.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 03:58:28 PM »

Pete, you were indeed fortunate to have Julius and John touch your life.

Out of curiosity, I searched, but found no record of Julius leaving us.  I did discover more of his inventions, as well as learning how the EZ-Pass detection functions.  We have that as "Peach Pass" in Georgia, and "Sun Pass" in Florida, reciprocal to other states as well. 
He was a very prolific inventor, as can be seen here:
https://patents.justia.com/inventor/julius-m-j-madey

Among other things, I owe him a debt of gratitude, as he saved me considerable expense while increasing the life of my car tires.  Little did I know several of his inventions enabled my last wheel alignment:

Laser-based wheel alignment system
Patent number: 5274433
Abstract: A device and method to align the wheels of motor vehicles. A beam of collimated light from a low power visible laser is split into two generally parallel beams by a partially transmitting mirror and a series of plane front surface mirrors positioned in front and along side the vehicle being serviced. The two beams are reflected from a set of plane mirrors attached to the rims of the wheels to be aligned. The vertical and horizontal angles of each of the wheel-mounted mirrors are set by calibrated lead-screws to cancel the angular displacement of the wheels expected when the wheels are properly aligned. The reflected beams are imaged through a large aperture beam combiner on a common viewing screen. Correct toe-in and camber settings are indicated when the laser beams reflected from the wheel-mounted mirrors overlap at the center of the viewing screen.

Apologies to Matt for totally hijacking his thread.....

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 08:19:00 PM »

Julius was a year or 2 older then me when we met and John was younger then me. I think I was a High School Sophomore at the time. I just had a laser wheel alignment two weeks ago  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015