The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I improve my AM reception  (Read 1114 times)
dbsoccer - SWL

« on: October 13, 2022, 07:26:12 PM »

I have a simple Sony Micro AM/FM stereo sound system in my garage. On the FM side I tied the FM antenna into my old fashioned TV antenna (homed in the attic) and now the FM side is working great. On the AM side I still have the loop antenna that came with the unit. This antenna sits high in the garage along the north wall. The stations of interest are south of my property.

The radio is in the northern part of Fort Collins, CO (40 37' 29.5"N 105  3' 56"W) and the AM stations I listen to primarily are AM760 KDFD (transmitter is 48 miles away located at 40 0′ 33″N 104° 56′ 21″W) and KOA FM850 (transmitter is 78 miles away located at 39 30′ 22″N 104° 45′ 57″W). Both are 50,000 watt stations during the day. The receiver is line of site to both transmitters. Receiver is at a higher elevation than much of the area between receiver and both transmitters. There are no mountain ranges between the radio and transmitters.

The reception for 760 is acceptable while it is not acceptable for 850. I am hoping to improve my reception for both stations. I live in a residential area so I can't string hundreds of feet of wire between trees etc. In that both of these stations are essentially on the same projected line (bearing ~170degrees)  from my house I am confused why the 760 reception is noticeably better than the 850 reception. Even though KOA is 30 miles further away, my radio is still within the "local coverage area" per the Radio-Locator web site.

I did find that simply grounding the radio's chassis helped the 760 reception. It did not improve the 850  reception as much.

Is there anything I can do to improve my reception?

Thank you.
W1ITT

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 08:17:54 PM »

https://www.radiolabs.com/radio/am-radio-antennas/am-radio-antenna-am-signal-booster/

A few years ago I talked to a fellow in your predicament and he was using something similar to this device and liked it.  There have been a few variations over the years.  It's basically and L-C adjustable tuned circuit.  I'm not sure how sharp the tuning (Q) is but you may have to tune it for each station, but maybe you can tune it in the middle.  As always, keep  it away from metal objects, other wiring , roof flashing, etc.   
Look up the patterns of the stations, both day and night if they are directional, and see if they favor your direction, or perhaps have a null to protect some far-off station.
73 de Norm W1ITT
W1NB

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 09:15:43 PM »

There are multiple videos on YouTube about how to build a tuned loop antenna. This is one: https://youtu.be/Wnkf_gQQwwg

They are pretty effective and cheap to build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015