The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandpa Smith turns 98  (Read 6065 times)
KE1GF
« on: June 04, 2005, 12:16:36 PM »

Hey crew, Grandpa Smith turned 98 yesterday. He doesn't really show his age does he?

Granpa remembers the days of when you could by tubes at the local drugstore, they even had a tube tester there and also drycells. He built his first wireless with a galena crystal and a cats whisker and then later on built a one tuber running from a drycell... He's always loved shortwave listening and greatly admires the work that I've done. Sometimes he even tunes into me on his solid-state shortwave from his room and listens to us ragchewing late at night!

Catch you on the air.
K8SWL
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 12:48:45 PM »

Not only does he look good, He looks happy !
Definately on his was to the century mark..

side note, I love talking with old timers that were involved with the technology in its infancy. Those that continue to maintain an interest are a special breed. Challenging the mind is a positive step in maintaining ones youth.

R/
Mike
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:10:30 PM »

98! God bless em!

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 07:12:39 PM »

Nice photo Bill!

As Mike said, he does look happy; boy does a positive attitude have so much to do with longevity and enjoyment in life!

Does your grandpa have his ham ticket, or was he licensed at one time Bill?

Ah, to be around in the early days, the Golden Days of radio must have been a blast, think I was born 40 years too late.

Tnx for sharing with us OM.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 07:46:12 PM »

Enjoy Him to the Fullest  Cheesy Excellent posting OM.
WB2CAU

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 10:29:22 PM »

Bill, tell granpa that I wish him a belated Happy Birthday and I hope he has many more.  What's his secret to longevity?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
KE1GF
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 11:55:21 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR
Nice photo Bill!

As Mike said, he does look happy; boy does a positive attitude have so much to do with longevity and enjoyment in life!

Does your grandpa have his ham ticket, or was he licensed at one time Bill?

Ah, to be around in the early days, the Golden Days of radio must have been a blast, think I was born 40 years too late.

Tnx for sharing with us OM.

Bruce, gramps never held a ticket but I still have his zenith trans-oceanic and his national nc-98 (which he purchased at the lafayette (SP?)) store.

Old buzzard George W1GAC used to live in town and knows grandpa from when he was running the A&P&T store and also when grandpa went on to run his own store (Brown and Smith Co.)

I plan on sitting down with a tape recorder and interviewing Grandpa about his experiences with technology throughout the years. It would be a great help if you guys could come up with some questions and I'll do up a page on my website about it.

-Bill 'GF
W1QWT

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 04:31:44 AM »

Damn 98! I hope I make that FB old age and still have a smile on my face like your Grandpa.
Give him my best for me - tell him he be the dude! Wish him a happy b day belated from the Q

I plan on sitting down with a tape recorder and interviewing Grandpa about his experiences with technology throughout the years. It would be a great help if you guys could come up with some questions and I'll do up a page on my website about it.

Yes Bill please get it all down before it is too late. Unfortunately I lost much of my maternal family info because I did not ask questions before people passed away.

Granpa remembers the days of when you could by tubes at the local drugstore, they even had a tube tester there and also drycells.

Hell I remember that too!
Anyway your grandfather looks like one fine business man. Anyone living that long and still smiling is one fine man.  Your lucky to have such a repository of information.
Ya know that smile on grandpa's face says it all!

Best Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 09:48:14 AM »

Quote from: KE1GF

-Bill 'GF

Now that is an excellent idea OM, outstanding way to preserve history.

Possible questions:

How old were you when you first became interested in radio?

What was it like, or how did you go about buying/making parts for your early radios?

What was the first station which you remember listening to, ham/commerical?

What do you remember about that station, location/freq/content of broadcast?

What did folks first think of radio, and those who were radio hobbyists?

Did people really gather around the radio sets for listening parties?

Finally, did W2VJZ's DX-100  strap as much back then?  :p

Bill, wonder if your grandpa saved any of his notes or early projects?

When my elmer passed on his wife was kind enough to give me a huge notebook of his.
It was chock full of tech notes, radio history, etc.
Priceless material, after 7 years I still have not finished reading it!

73 OM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015