The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking For Hands of Interest.  (Read 18669 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« on: June 02, 2005, 10:31:47 PM »

Gentlemen,

In my Earnest to get an Idea accross, i haphazardly Hi-Jacked a Thread of not my own making and for that I appologise to Bill KC2IFR, i was over Zealous in my approach and I Mean't well..

But I do wonder would there be any interest in designing, schematizing, and building an AMForum transmitter of our own design to offer the Forums membership and any interested partys that may have an Avid interest in our small piece of the world.

Any thoughts..?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 10:43:36 PM »

How about a little something to get through the QRM?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 12:24:23 AM »

Ya !!
Something that uses a tube with built-in handles !!!! :evil:  :evil:
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 06:25:55 AM »

Morning Fellas,

It's something that's been rolling around in the gray matter through the course of work, and i read up on some of todays oscillators and variable freq solid state generators, and we've seen here first hand what some members have come up with combining Class e and Class c with solid state design wonderful stuff all the way around, just wonderful Stuff.

So it just comes to mind looking at it objectively, like all things as far as ratings Today, Todays rigs most in the 100 Class rating and actually the only time i see 100 watts is in CW mode So, it's a Classification thing more or less, But in actual operation if the yeild would approach say 50 60 watts it's still in that classification, as long as the components stand the rating and the duty cycle.

I know what we have here as far as Collective Talent, I also know we are all Busy, family Children, building in the Service what we can get done.  But to offer up someting on this order, Designed by the members of the AMForum, Built and Tested by the members, Stamped with our Approval,  and posted in View for all to see, it would go a Long Long way in carring our passion forth.

I can see this thing formulating in my mind, a simple three band Plate modulated transmitter atuned to our frequencies, and to our tastes..

It's there the idea has Merit...
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 06:35:16 AM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
Gentlemen,

In my Earnest to get an Idea accross, i haphazardly Hi-Jacked a Thread of not my own making and for that I appologise to Bill KC2IFR, i was over Zealous in my approach and I Mean't well..

But I do wonder would there be any interest in designing, schematizing, and building an AMForum transmitter of our own design to offer the Forums membership and any interested partys that may have an Avid interest in our small piece of the world.

Any thoughts..?

Sounds like a super idea, like the PissWeaker concept some years back.

Just one request OM, please make sure it glows in the dark!

Run with it, the combined talent on this board should be more than up for the task of designing such.

Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 06:53:02 AM »

Good Morning Bruce,

Thank you for the thoughts, I Know what you mean and I know what the guys have brought in for the piss weak circuit Excellent postings on air operation i monitored all that and that's what it's all about.

But to take this on site here a complete walk through for the up and coming, showing test points the How To's  as far as hands on test equipment literally step by step, I know right up front the work involved would be an enormonous challenge and alot of headaches, But, there are hands out here that Don't know all the How to's...

I'm asking Alot, But how did we start..
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 07:18:31 AM »

Tom Vu's Tesla 360 (813X2 modulated by 813X2) is a great starting point.  Tried, true, and simple.  It's on the AMWindow.

813s are cheap as dirt... the only item that might be expensive/hard to find is the mod tranny.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 07:39:23 AM »

Morning John,

That's the thing, Tried and true, Excellent.. Now to put this into a format on here in view to stay..So when someone comes in they look and see a complete system we all approve of, Simplistic in design and they can take a shot .

John I know this is a gud for us and for the group, i hope i haven't over stepped anything.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 07:45:11 AM »

Jack, I know that at least 3 or 4 copies have been built... perhaps Tom Vu could chime in.  IMHO it doesn't get much better/simpler than this for homebrew IF you have, or have access to, the necessary iron.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 10:09:38 AM »

I've never built an 813 rig but collected the parts.

So that is what is wrong with me.

I plan to use a T195
pto as the VFO. All the parts are in a box. I plan to PDM it.
The Tom Vu rig with pdm.
wb1aij
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 12:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
Gentlemen,

designing, schematizing, and building an AMForum transmitter of our own design to offer the Forums membership and any interested partys

Any thoughts..?
That is a great idea; I like it. I wish I had thought of it. I would certainly participate. It would be a real novelty to be on the air with a rig that we all built the same and hear others rigs.

bob
WB1AIJ
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 12:31:08 PM »

This could be as simple as just a sticky with a URL .

I know Steve Has many great article on The Am window. A Sticky that said something like - - " build a 813 rig "and then put the url in there. Very simple yet offering everyone great imformation.

I will post any article  or link for this project as a sticky at the top of the technical forum. Let's see how many we can offer.

JJ - Antennas?
JN receivers?
GF and IA  Class E 6 feter?
KD0HG - Lightning protection?

What do you think guys. I believe everyone has something to offer here. Each of us has some area we excel in.

This would be a great additon to the site and helpful to all that visit and want to learn.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 12:31:31 PM »

Yes, the 813 rig below really is a simple design and I'd guess I've heard
of seven or  eight that have been built so far. I get emails with
questions from time to time, so hear of some on the other side of
the country.

The info at the bottom with the links should be a good start for
a beginners "sticky" on this site.

** I was thinking [as Jack suggested] that to add sizzle to this
board, some of the guys with expertise in various fields may
consider doing a one page "sticky" of a similar project. ***

Like maybe Frank, you could do a PDM version with ALL the
concise info on one page. [not just a link to the class E forum].
Make it look simple.  Bill/HG could do one on lightning/ground
protection. ApeMan on the hints and Kinks of selecting some
modern tubes for building a big linear... GS-35B, YC-156, etc.  
John/JN could do a sticky on "Selecting a boat anchor receiver,
Part II", etc.    Pete/CWA, what's new in manuals, etc.  Gary/INR
about setting up your station as an integrated mess -  :lol: -  
Mike/ZE about processing. Don/KYV about transformer selection.
 I could do an antenna expose' boiling down the fag antennas from
the manly ones.  Joe/PJP does one about restoring a boat anchor.
EVERYONE has something they could contribute.

These could be short, one page primers with a FEW good
link references. Kind of thing is what's needed to make the
board come to life and grab newcomers as they browse
through the BB messages...

Just post here what subject you'd like to contribute and maybe G
will decide to let it fly.

The JJ 813's X 813's AM plate modulated rig that could also
become a short story "sticky":
http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/813/813.htm

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 12:35:39 PM »

HA!  Funny G.

We posted at the exact same time above.  It's  obvious that we
talked about this on the phone yesterday...

Hope it flies and gets lots of participation!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »

Jack,
Sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm currently building my version of the K1JJ 813x813 rig.  I still have a ways to go before putting fire to the wire.  Need to get a few more big components to put it all together.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 01:09:02 PM »

Thanks Bob, T, Everyone,

This is it, we got it, and show the workings, the how to's, point A to point B, How to produce a High Voltage Power supply Safely and correctly and help others get over the hurdles of unsureness, Going with QRO Great here's How, again from A To B Condense it an present it how you would approach it. Bring these things in here, Pictures Diagrams from the most simplistic to the Most advanced All are Most Welcome...believe me...

This is Limitless Brothers..this is Awesum...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 01:33:14 PM »

Tom Vu,
25 ohm to 50 ohm transformation takes 35 ohm 1/4 wave section
no 50. do the math.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 01:57:42 PM »

I'm game for a receivers sticky.

As soon as I get the SX-101A modifications out of the way (sorry, Keith, I know you're waiting for this but I've run into some issues on this one, including having to rebuild a couple of IF xformers) I have a beat NC-183 that needs restoration.  As there are lots of questions all the time about cleaning, repair, and restoration perhaps a step-by-step is in order.

These are exciting ideas.  Thanks for the inspiration, Jack!

73 John

WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 02:01:37 PM »

I'm also into receivers. make your Racal do over 100 dB dynamic range
and operate on top of k1boy without imd problems.
wavebourn
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »

I can build a modulator (pure class A hybrid type)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 05:46:44 PM »

I have received many PM's and emails from our users that want to contribute to this project Jack

I say we create a forum for just that. We can install it right under technical.

So what  should we call it?

Jack you get first shot it was your idea OM.

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »

Call the forum: Build it and They Will Come.
or Build it, Share it, and Run it,
or Design and Build for Everyone,
or We Can Do It Together,
or Collaboration.....

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 11:24:34 PM »

Well Boys i didn't think this far Ahead, Um, you know what this Calls for, something from the Old School.

I say The Elmers Forum But It's a group Effort here Heck Why don't we take in Suggestions and Vote Democratically...Popular Vote...That's a Hip Idea.

Then Everybodies Involved... Cheesy US.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 07:13:12 AM »

Good Morning Fellas,

We Had My daughters Graduation this past evening and I Came in a little out of sorts, Gary I'm Not Much on Naming things and I Hope my suggestion is OK with you, and I'd like to reiterate The Scope and Feel for this Idea, what we have here on the system is "Visibility"...and "Permanence", So with the short falls of todays literiture, and even Bring Out the Old school systems and technology and then you don't have to dig for the old manuals you see what i mean, It's Here at a moments whim...

I'm Much Obliged for the support and you men pulling this through for us, with todays technology availible to us The Skys the limit here.

I know down through the history of the two boards the culumination of circuits and technique that i have witnessed brought in by all the members that is alot of data that needs to be gathered and Focused on, and then if further direction is needed then tag lines can be added and connections made and it will grow...

I also Know that someone here down through time has built a 100 Watt Class transmitter that i had suggested to be picked for the "First Timers AM Forum" Transmitter and I lost the url for it when i moved over to the new dell here and I'd like to see that brought in here and The Class E 100 Watt transmitter, with that a new hand can take part and produce a system that will be heard and the nervousness about High Voltage will be over come and safety is paramount then the next steps can be achieved QRO and onward.

This is a Great Thing we're doing here fellas..It's needed...
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 08:30:50 AM »

Tek Notes?

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up