The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:15:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N1NTE 0-62 MHz SDR  (Read 42516 times)
N1NTE
Contributing

« on: March 13, 2022, 12:21:15 PM »

I am experimenting with a KiwiSDR clone that has coverage up to 62 MHz. I am running it on the 80-10m OCF antenna (same as my other Kiwi receivers) but it does fairly well receiving on 6m. It receives AM/FM/CW/SSB so all modes work.

http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8077

Again, it is experimental and may not always be available. I'd appreciate any feedback on how well it receives in its current state and antenna. Feel free to fire up and see if it will hear your station.

- Rob, N1NTE
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 04:13:05 PM »

it wants a password...

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 07:30:23 PM »

Ditto
N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »

Sorry about that. It is now open access.

- Rob
KB1VWC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »

Rob is this a Raspsdr or a Flydog version or something else?  I am hosting a Flydog one that works well after some engineering and cooling modifications. Unfortunately it wont decode FSK at all. Seems to do WSPR fine, but no go on FSK or Navtex.

Steve

KB1VWC

N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 10:32:07 AM »

It is a FlyDog. They stopped producing them because of pressure from the Chinese Govt. I did do the mod on it to improve the higher frequency sensitivity. I haven't tried any of those modes yet.

I wanted to get something up for 30-54 MHz as I like VHF-Lo band listening and 6 meters. It seems to do OK in that range despite the antenna not being optimal and also horizontal.
KB1VWC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 10:49:45 AM »

I noticed yours is running very cool.  I had to add a heatsink to the LTC2208 and changed the fan as the supplied one pretty much seized up after two weeks.   I activated the onboard WI-FI, but couldn't get a decent signal through the metal case after I had improved the grounding of the boards to the case (makes sense). I have it running on a USB wi-fi stick.  It seems to work just fine other than those modes that it won't decode. Interesting though if you output the tones to a secondary decoding application, it works just fine. Is the mod for high frequency cutting the 0-30mhz portion lo-pass filter on the secondary port out the circuit? So disable the 0-30mhz port? or something else?

Steve
N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 02:48:01 PM »

I noticed yours is running very cool. 

I'm just using the small fan that came with the case. I have on my long To Do list to use some larger fans to blow across all the Kiwis. I have a plan to build an enclosure to house all of them to clean things up a bit.

It seems to work just fine other than those modes that it won't decode. Interesting though if you output the tones to a secondary decoding application, it works just fine.

Must be a problem porting those extensions over to RPi.

Is the mod for high frequency cutting the 0-30mhz portion lo-pass filter on the secondary port out the circuit? So disable the 0-30mhz port? or something else?

That was all I did. Fortunately, I don't drink coffee so my hand was steady enough to do that mod. Those parts are small and very close together. Smiley
KB1VWC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 05:45:34 PM »

"Fortunately, I don't drink coffee so my hand was steady enough to do that mod. Those parts are small and very close together."
No Kidding..Microscope required!
Thanks for the info Rob. I think mine was very early in production. You definitely needed a heatsink on the A/D which mine didn't come with.

Steve

KB1VWC
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 05:10:28 PM »

Rob,
how does one get the SDR to go beyond 32MHz?  I seem to hit the wall there and can't go higher.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 07:34:49 AM »

The KiwiSDR's upper range is 32 MHz. The FlyDogSDR, which is a Rasperry Pi based "clone" of the KiwiSDR, has an option to set the upper limit to 62 MHz.

- Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015