The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Subway Vigilante  (Read 11309 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: May 25, 2005, 03:59:48 PM »

The (in)famous subway vigilante Bernhard Goetz is evidently a ham:

"(The MIT Swapfest) is a confluence of really brilliant people, including some Nobel Prize winners," said Harvard student Matthew Gline. Gline, who also goes by his FCC-issued ham radio callsign, KG2OT, is president of the Harvard University Radio Club, a co-sponsor of MIT Swapfest.

MIT Matsushita Professor of Electrical Engineering Gerald Jay Sussman, known as something of a "loud and proud" nerd, is a Swapfest regular.

The Swapfest is also said to be a former stomping ground for that most notorious of nerds, Bernhard Goetz. New Yorkers dubbed Goetz the "subway vigilante" after he shot four youths he believed were about to mug him in 1984.

Goetz in an e-mail said he was unavailable for an interview. He indicated in his message that he was busy at the Dayton Hamvention.

MIT  Swapfest

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB2CAU

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »

Don, Bernie is an electronics hobbyist but not a licensed ham.  He used to frequent the New York, Long Island, and New Jersey hamfests all the time back in the 80s.  He's even purchased items from me on a few occasions.

Eric - WB2CAU

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 05:50:07 PM »

As far as I can remember Bernie has been attending many of the Northeast hamfests. I've seen him at Boxboro and Hosstraders, Dayton, and also several hamfests in MD. I don't believe he is an amateur radio operator plus I can't find him listed in my 2004 CD ROM Call Book. He generally buys and sells test equipment and accessories. I'll probably see him this coming weekend at the BARA Hamfest.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »

Bernie is a hero in my book.
He did the right thing and took a great deal of heat for it.
I suspect that most Americans applaud his efforts.

I'd buy him a beer anytime and I don't even know him, only what he did.

Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 07:58:48 PM »

I have seen him a few times at hosstraders.
W8KHZ

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:44:23 PM »

Hey Don,

What a coincidence that you brought this subject up. On three separate occasions when I was walking around the fleamarket at Dayton last week, I saw a man who I could have sworn was Mr. Goetz. The reason I was so sure was the fact that the "subway vigilante" case was outlined on the History Channel recently so his picture was clear in my mind. I knew he had an electronics background so it was plausible... now I have no doubt it was him. Anyone else see him at Dayton this year?

Brian - W8KHZ

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 11:01:17 PM »

He almost looks like a young Dave / K1ZZ. :lol:

It's amazing how many people recognize Bernie,
even 20 years later.

Back in '88 a friend of mine at Hosstraders pointed out a
guy to me and said, "hey, that's Bernard Goetz!"  I said to
him that it's probably somebody else... how could he
remember him that well? He said, " no, I'm sure that's
him!"

So, yes, he getz around,  pun intended.

Yep, he did the right thing.  How many of us have thought
of doing the same thing if cornered by a gang and threatened?  
I once made a Johnny Novice mistake and rode a subway to the
Bronx Zoo. Got out in the slum and walked to the zoo thru something
that looked like Berlin in 1945. I can understand how it can happen...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WB2CAU

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:49:46 AM »

Quote from: K1JJ
He almost looks like a young Dave / K1ZZ. :lol:
T

The irony is that Bernie is older than Dave

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
WB3JOK

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 09:38:20 AM »

Quote from: W8KHZ
...occasions when I was walking around the fleamarket at Dayton last week, I saw a man who I could have sworn was Mr. Goetz.

Shoot (pun intended), I wish I'd known he was there so I could shake his hand! I didn't realize he made his stand so long ago.
-Charles
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 09:58:37 AM »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for reminding me about BARA, I'll see you there. Yep, I've seen Bernie quite a few times at local hamfests over the years.

I agree with what others have said, Bernie is a hero.... plus he's feeding the critters! Seriously, he's a-ok in my book!

Quote from: Pete, WA2CWA
As far as I can remember Bernie has been attending many of the Northeast hamfests. I've seen him at Boxboro and Hosstraders, Dayton, and also several hamfests in MD. I don't believe he is an amateur radio operator plus I can't find him listed in my 2004 CD ROM Call Book. He generally buys and sells test equipment and accessories. I'll probably see him this coming weekend at the BARA Hamfest.

Glenn K2KL
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 10:01:34 AM »

Your kung-fu must be good master Vu! you're lucky you're still alive!!!

Quote from: K1JJ
snip = I once made a Johnny Novice mistake and rode a subway to the Bronx Zoo. Got out in the slum and walked to the zoo thru something that looked like Berlin in 1945. I can understand how it can happen...T
W3LSN

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 02:19:16 PM »

A former co-worker of mine occassionally worked with Bernie Goetz who was sometimes involved with the commericial two-way industry. He remembers Bernie showing up one morning with a swollen face. When questioned, Bernie said "I was mugged."  After that incident he obviously decided to carry protection.

From what we heard, he was fixing police and fire radios during most of his time spent on Rikers Island. He did such a good job that supposedly they were sorry to see him go.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 03:45:37 PM »

Does anyone know if Goetz actually did time over the subway incident?  I seem to recall that one of his "victims" sued him for damages, and later made the news when he got arrested, injured or killed (don't recall which) while he was in the process of robbing someone else.

Goetz voluntarily turned himself in after the incident made national news.  He probably never would have been identified if he had just laid low and gone about his business.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1UJR
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 04:44:08 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
Does anyone know if Goetz actually did time over the subway incident?  I seem to recall that one of his "victims" sued him for damages, and later made the news when he got arrested, injured or killed (don't recall which) while he was in the process of robbing someone else.

Goetz voluntarily turned himself in after the incident made national news.  He probably never would have been identified if he had just laid low and gone about his business.

"All of the youths have committed serious crimes in the time since except for Cabey, who remains paralyzed.
James Ramseur later brutally raped, sodomized, beat, and robbed a pregnant nineteen year-old.
He was convicted."

Looks like Bernie's aim was true....

W3LSN

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 04:48:34 PM »

There are many Google links out there describing Bernie's tribulations. The trial was a big deal at the time, and on the nightly news every evening in the NY area. He eventually was acquitted of the attempted murder charges, but convicted of possessing an illegal firearm, a felony.  The generally sympathetic jury thought he would walk with probation, but he instead got sentenced to 8-months which were served on Rikers Island in NYC.

Following the criminal trial, the boy he paralyzed filed a successful civil suit and won a $42 Million judgment. Bernie then filed bankruptcy.  All the other youths have since been involved in serious crimes, and one of the group later served time for beating and robbing a pregnant 19-year old girl.

Jim WA2AJM/3
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »

Bernie stopped at our table at Hostraders. He seems fine.
The guys who got shot....too bad they lived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015