The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Ranger VFO Drifts on 40/20  (Read 12863 times)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2022, 03:04:04 PM »

If you get into replacing those low value temperature compensating capacitors, I suggest that you heat sink the leads.  Too much heat from a soldering iron or gun could possibly damage them.

That was a trick from an old ham friend of mine.
WQ9E

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »

Tony,

You are welcome and yes I was referring to the 40 meter winding.  I wonder if some turns are loose on the form.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 12:43:01 PM »

Hi all,

I am monitoring the AM Rally on 7295. One guy with a Ranger, has a carrier with significant warble when my receiver is offset in SSB mode to get a tone. The carrier has a sub audible shift when the transmitter gets modulated. I attach a screen shot from my Flex 3000. Notice that this guy has very little upper side-band.

A guy came back with a Valiant, and that guy had no lower sideband! His carrier was also raspy, but the tone change with modulation was immediate....I could copy him when switching to FM!!

Bottom line....Keep the Johnson gear off 40M AM when using the internal VFO.

There seems to be some sort of regeneration when on 40m where the VFO runs at the same frequency as the RF output. Perhaps this is fixable, but more than likely fixing this will be a challenge because the design, not faulty components, is the root cause.

Jim
Wd5JKO

* SDRScreenSave__SAM_7.294500MHz_2-6-2022 11_24_40 AM.jpg (254.8 KB, 1615x686 - viewed 246 times.)
WQ9E

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2022, 06:16:18 PM »

Jim,

There are fixes for RF getting into the VFO in these Johnson rigs causing frequency modulation of the VFO when the final is on the same frequency as the VFO.  It could occur on 160 meters also but I have not experienced any problems on 160 with the factory stock rigs.

W8JI provides a thorough analysis and fix on his website:  https://www.w8ji.com/johnson_vfo_chirp_jump.htm

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W1GFH

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 02:23:13 PM »

Tony asked me to add my Ranger VFO experience to his thread so here it is.  Grin

I too had drift problems with the VFO on 40M and above, but mine was not a slow drift. It was stable for the first 15 minutes or so, but then it would suddenly QSY down the band FAST - like somebody spun the dial. I suspected C20, the tubular ceramic 47pf N150 temperature compensating capacitor. I had read somewhere on the web that these caps can break down after being subject to extreme heat. Indeed, my VFO showed signs of past Chernobyl meltdowns, and the cap body had black and brown scorch/bake marks on it.

Of course getting an exact replacement for that cap is impossible. Surplus Sales is sold out, and DigiKey, Mouser, etc. don't carry modern equivalents. So I figured I'd try something close and see if it worked. I located some NOS 39pf N150 1000V disc ceramics and installed one. The 40 LO and 40 HI trimmers have plenty of range, and I was able to zero it in to proper dial calibration without trouble. So this tells me a replacement need not have the exact pf value, several pf higher or lower will work.

The original Ranger assembly manual calls for this cap to be installed 1/16" away from the oscillator inductor. As I understand it, C20 is intended to compensate downward as the 40 M side of the inductor heats up and expands. So it makes sense that this cap needs to be really close to the oscillator coil so it experiences the same temperature variations.

* original C20 capacitor position.jpg (1316.68 KB, 1384x1048 - viewed 165 times.)

* New C20 cermic disc 39pf.jpeg (2228.65 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 145 times.)
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 12:44:31 PM »

Good deal with reducing the drift.

The question remains though, when on 40m does it FM, or end up with one sideband partially suppressed?

Jim
Wd5jko
W1GFH

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 05:06:51 PM »

The suppressed sideband phenomenon appears to be caused by RF getting into the VFO. In my case, what cured it was the W8JI modifications (https://www.w8ji.com/johnson_vfo_chirp_jump.htm) and also tightening up the spring contacts grounding the plate and buffer control shafts to the front panel.

I have not tried this, but according to AB2RA: to avoid non symmetrical side bands, L17 should be unscrewed all the way up instead of peaked for maximum drive. Adjusting by this method cures the VFO FMing during modulation. (https://wireless-girl.com/Projects/AMTransmitters)/JohnsonVFOresistor.html)
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2022, 05:23:34 PM »

I too would advise looking at W8JI's post on VFO feedback problems.   I did this mod on both my Ranger and Valiant and found it helpful.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015