The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:31:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to Paradise  (Read 4837 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« on: October 04, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »

Well, it's been in the works for a couple months, but looks like a big move is now happening.

Relocating to KP2  US Virgin Islands!  Wife and I went down a couple weeks ago.  I did my in person and we explored the island.

Read a post by KC0W awhile ago about his move to the Marianas Islands.  Inspired me to do the same.

I'll be bringing a FT857 and screwdriver for the time being.  Eventually will try to bring the AM station down and see how well the rock gets out at least to the east coast guys 👍👍

So, now to prepare for yearly antenna rebuilds, salt air corrosion and to BE the DX.

If I have time in the near future IL be posting stuff for sale.  I have 30 years of transformers, tubes from little sweep tubes to 15000s, etc that I guess I won't be using now.  If not, into storage they go.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Detroit47

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 06:10:44 PM »

I thought you where really moving to paradise.

https://www.michigansparadise.com/

N8QPC
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »

Lol.  Nah, heading to an island.  Not the cold!

--Shane
KD6VXI
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »

Shane,

This is huge news! I sure hope this works out for you. Maybe I'll follow in a few years... Cool

The weather should agree with your fragile bones, and chronic pain.

As to the Michigan guy, I was born and raised there. There is another special place in that state to offset Paradise, Mi.

There is a small city named Hell, Mi...Here it is:

https://www.gotohellmi.com/

Jim
Wd5JKO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 11:42:48 PM »

Those islands down there, East of PR, always scare me during the summer months. Last I heard, the US Virgin Islands was still trying to recoup from the two cat 5's in 2017.

This Paradise hasn't been typically hit by Cat 5 hurricanes.  Grin
https://lancasterpa.com/paradise/

I wish you all the best in this new US Virgin Islands location.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 12:17:35 AM »

You have your own Paradise right there in Kal-a-Forn-I-A! 

Weather is normally quite nice, although in the past they have endured a rather serious "scorcher", hotter than Bakersfield! 

You could probably call it a major crap-out, but they are recovering.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »

Susan.and.l.vizited.StCroix.and.it.was.Paradise....Congrats-youll.love.it!

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 07:39:15 PM »

Susan.and.l.vizited.StCroix.and.it.was.Paradise....Congrats-youll.love.it!

Rick: You into periods or working a new smartphone  Grin

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 08:58:18 PM »

Pete, I'd be happy in that place you posted as well.

I've been lucky to live in some really cool places over my lifetime,  UT St Croix is going to be the best thus far.

Hurricanes are a concern, but when you've lived at 6k feet and had 130 mph winds lift antennas off towers and find them a quarter mile away after the frost melts, you're kind of prepared for them.  I've had one antenna that was supposedly unbreakable end up folding over (The I-10K).  For the first year or two it will be all wire antennas while I find a house to buy.

The weather and the water are what I'm after.  And the DX.  KP2 ranks a lot more wanted than KD6 lol.  Hoping to get some speed on cw so I can become a regular as Herb Schoenbohm was before he went SK.  Had a few conversations with him, interesting guy, to say the least.

Most of the stations on the island are either rentals or contest time only.  Africa looks to be an easier shot lol.

St Croix is the one we are heading to Rick.  It was utterly amazing.  Looked out my hotel and the local 10Kw AM station was at the end of a salt marsh about 50 feet from the ocean.  I imagine it had quite the signal into Puerto Rico at night!

My wife had a company in Bermuda after her a few years ago, she entertained the idea until I showed her where it was.  She said at least St Croix has neighbors!

Trading earthquakes for hurricanes.  I'll appreciate the heads up.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 09:16:08 PM »

You'll be working Europe like nobody's business. Good luck with the move and enjoy!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 12:05:14 AM »

Trading earthquakes for hurricanes.  I'll appreciate the heads up.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Actually, you're adding hurricanes to earthquakes.

One of the big problems down in that area is the eastern shifting Caribbean plate grinding against the North American western moving plate. Earthquakes are quite common down there in the Virgin Islands. They seem to have one at least every day.
https://earthquaketrack.com/r/virgin-islands/recent

The other thing I remember is that there is an area that starts at the Virgin Islands called the "Lesser Antilles Volcanic Arc" which includes a number of island countries that have between 15 to 20 active volcanoes.

But, HEY, what's a little shake, rattle & roll, raining occasional ash, or the possible occasional tsunami.

No wonder I like Jersey Grin

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 12:22:04 AM »

When you're tired of working the endless pile-ups you can boat over to St John and snorkel around the only under water national park trail. Many years ago I did that and swam with sea turtles back to the boat. It was magical.

Good luck.

Jon
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 10:24:06 PM »

Pete, you guessed it. - A NEW PHONE.. Darn thing hid the space bar.  Grin.   And Shane, we rented a car, stayed for A couple of weeks and toured Cruzan Rum twice, burp.  At the time some years ago, no cruise lines stopped there.  Much appreciated.  Jump Up night was pretty good celebration too. Spooky.   We went to the easternmost point at night ,   no houses and dark  skies- Centarus in all its glory and part of the Southern Cross. Absolutely spectacular.  As for Beaches,The water temp is the same as the air, just wetter .

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015